Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 12:25:46 AM EDT
Anyone do this as a hobby and then decide to perhaps try and get a little side-business going out of your house or garage? I have been messing around with fishing lures since the 1970's, taking them apart, studying them, fiddling around with them, reworking them, and finally reassembling them --- and they still work and they still catch fish!

Should I? Should I not? Is there really a market for this? I mean, how could I compete with Bass Pro or Cabela's... selling top name brand lures? I'm just "me"

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#1]
My friend's kid did it for a while, might still be. He made some good side cash for a 17 year old. Not so much for someone with actual bills.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:52:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
My friend's kid did it for a while, might still be. He made some good side cash for a 17 year old. Not so much for someone with actual bills.
View Quote

This is the way I would go.  I worked as an assembler for a tackle supplier in high school.  He would supply components and I assembled spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.  Owner would sell them at trade shows and online.  
I find it cost prohibitive now unless you make something truly original or exclusive.  I follow Marling Baits on youtube.  He is truly a craftsman with his carving, molds and colors.  He even does soft plastics.  

Spend some money and time and get good with an airbrush.  Good looking baits sell or sell colors that have been discontinued from certain crankbait brands.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
My son buys and sells on the fishing / lure boards.
Lures, reels, and rods.

It's a side hustle but he makes more doing that than his regular job.
I am STUNNED at what guys will pay for the different baits alone.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Instagram is full of small shops that buy blanks/paint/assemble custom hard baits. Ebay is chock full of them as well.

They run $25-$300.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Custom painting crank baits and spoons are popular side hustles around here.

A buddy of mine ties live bait rigs for walleye fishing and does very well with that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#7]
Don't concentrate on just lures, friend of mine makes decent toy money by building terminal tackle and leaders for shark fishermen.  Sells them on Marketplace.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:12:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ButchA61] [#8]
Thanks everyone.... It's a idea, since I'll be retiring at the end of this school year.
I'm already retired US Coast Guard (military pension)
I got healthcare and VA benefits already.
I'm going to file for (early) Social Security as well, based on a previous career in the I.T. industry (as in... $$$$)

So the fishing lure gig would just be a little side business so I wouldn't get bored.  Here's another thing that I put up on my Facebook page too.
Why pay $5.99 when I can make the exact same thing for only $1.35?

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes there is a market.  Its just figuring out the "niche".  Ive been working on my side company for about 2 years now officially.  Just branched into plastics.  As others have said...think outside the box and find new things.  Also higher quality or things that cannot be found in the store.  I make jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, a bunch of different jigheads/shakeyheads, airbrush baits and now plastics.  Find the niche around you.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.  

People will pay for quality.  I sell my jigs more than most cost in a store, for example.  But they are tied, and mostly custom-ish colors. I also offer options for different hooks.  Ive got a guy that likes the thinner wire skipping jigs, in one color.   Buys 10-15 at a time.  All because he cant find the hook he wants in storebought options.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The swimbait market as far as painting goes is really where its at.  I normally charge $40 for a repaint/clear.  So thats ship me your bait, I paint, put clear, and ship it back.  Other "well known" names in the painting world are double that.  
Top Top