Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2024 10:45:22 PM EDT
Master Closet is the only interior room in the house we are building.

I plan on building it from concrete block with 5/8" rebar 12 oc and filling the voids with concrete. The ceiling  will be 4 inch poured concrete with the rebar extend8ng down the walls.    It will have an in swing vault/storm rated door also.
I need to figure out a second exit in the case that it's needed if the main door becomes blocked. I was thinking of maybe a 2x2 steel hatch in the ceiling leading to the attic.

This room will also house all the media, internet, camera dvr etc. Behind a shelving unit.

I plan to store food and water as well as a bucket for a toilet with that camping dry mix in it. Whatever that's called. Idk.

I do have a vanity sink outside one wall and may have a valve on the inside of the safe room for actual fresh water.

I need to figure out something for fresh air too. It will have HVAC but not much go9d if the power is out.
I also plan on emergency backup lighting .
What else might I consider doing or utilizing this space?
I have drawn up a plan and have the person drawing the house plans incorporate it in.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Consider landline with telephone inside
Ethernet connection inside for ISP
Fresh air vent to outside [with fan venting outside air in if needed]
Whole house generator- natgas/propane/diesel
As long as the door opens in, I wouldn't have a 2nd entrance/exit
FEMA rated door?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
On ours we had just one way in/out, but the door swung inwards.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
On ours we had just one way in/out, but the door swung inwards.
View Quote

That's a smart idea!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Consider landline with telephone insideI don't think there is a reliable phone line that is on our dirt road
Ethernet connection inside for ISP Yes, that small closet on the top right will house the fiber modem/router as well as any other data related equipment. There will be a ton of CAT6 or better wires in there
Fresh air vent to outside [with fan venting outside air in if needed] Do you think it would be fine to vent to the attic? The attic will be conditioned space. I guess I'd need an intake and exhaust vent?
Whole house generator- natgas/propane/dieselYes I will either have a propane or diesel gen with a transfer switch. Leaning diesel
As long as the door opens in, I wouldn't have a 2nd entrance/exitI know it should be OK but I just keep thinking of being trapped . This property is in the country on a dead end dirt road and unless I had an absolute way to make contact we'd be found days later. Probably maybe after we hadn't talked with our daughters after a while. But sometimes we may go a week w/o contact.
FEMA rated door? yes. But having trouble finding a vault/safe door that is FEMA rated. Still researching
View Quote

I do also plan to have one of my ham radios setup in this closet as well with an external antenna. There is a repeater not to far away that I can get into pretty easily. Unless the antenna was somehow compromised which is very possible in the event of a direct hit from a tornado.

The house will be all steel red iron. How do those fare in a tornado I wonder?

Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagging because this is similar to what I was planning for our retirement home. I was planning on having the house built with ICF and using the same ICF for the safe room/vault walls.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ScubaDachshund:
Tagging because this is similar to what I was planning for our retirement home. I was planning on having the house built with ICF and using the same ICF for the safe room/vault walls.
View Quote

Yes, this will be our retirement home.
The floor plan I posted in the OP is basically the same house we ready built in 2006. I modified it a little bit to cut out a bedroom which isn't needed anymore and cut out the dining room area which we seldom used for 18 years. I reduced it by about 300 square feet, maybe.  I would like to reduce another 100 but we like big rooms.  
It's about 23xx right now.
Anyhow, the original drawings did have provision for the same master closet in the same place as the new one , to have it as a safe room. It never happened due to budget though.

This time I hope will be different.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
One problem I'm seeing is a FEMA rated storm door. Good grief they are like 4000 bucks!

Ridiculous.  I think.  

Partly because I want the room to also serve as a safe. It seems that although the safe/vault type doors would be adequate they don't carry the rating or have been tested for tornadoes.  

In my research I did come across an archived arfcom thread that did a review on a door I was looking at.
It was a snap safe Hornady , I think maybe Browning branded door now. Basically it was not up to what was advertised.  I guess probably because it was cheap made in china crap. Or cheaper. Maybe get what you pay for type of thing .

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Good idea.  I encourage you to keep in mind, a storm shelter is totally different than a safe room.  A storm shelter is hours at most.  

Instead of a bucket thingy, take a look at porta potti.  They're way better, no smell.  

Next, battery operated TV so you can follow the storms progress.  During events, the news usually shows a continuous live radar.  

It's very common for you to lose all utilities and cell service overloads.  

Neat little thing I bought from Amazon is a rechargeable battery fan with light.   Bodies put out a lot of BTUs.   A vent in the ceiling to let heat out would also help but you can't count on power.  

Don't forge to re-enforce your ceiling.  

Tj
View Quote

Good idea on the battery powered TV. I will have a backup generator for the house too. Also about the ventilation fans will be something I'll have to research. It can get really hot if for some reason the generator didn't come online like it should in the event of a power outage.

The ceiling will be at least 4" of poured concrete with rebar connected into the concrete block walls. I may even form up and do concrete walls too. I don't know yet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
First question, pretty simple and kind of a "duh"- but there is someone out there reading this thinking they can do it on a crawlspace...

You are on slab right?

I have built "a few" structures with block, put rebar in each cell and poured solid with grout mix. It's a good way to go, will be bulletproof to at least 308 at 15 yards (I shot my house to test it 25 years ago after building). However I don't think you will get a high PF with it.

For ballistic security, damn good way to go. If your talking radiation you can make it work.

Normally to get higher PF with radiation you are looking at dirt-   18" will give you a PF of 40, 36" will give you a PF of 1,000. Plus a smidge for the poured block (roughly 8 inches solid concrete when done).

Always have another exit if possible.

For just a home "security shelter" type of thing- think about fire. Also look at ways to "assist" people to GTFO of your house while you are in there. There are ways to rig up pepper spray/other releases into the house from inside the shelter. "But Momma's drapes will smell like hell and she'll be pi$$ed!" She will get over it and she'll be alive to complain about it LOL.

Assuming power will still be available, wired (key word) cameras that you can access inside the shelter showing what's going on inside the house. I.e, are those 4 "Scandanvian youths" standing at the door of the shelter figuring out how to get in, or did they grab some of the costume jewelry left out along with the old muskets you left in that obvious "safe"?

You can go as far as two way mirrors, hidden firing ports, etc. but you will lose ballistic integrity with those.

One thing I would always do in FOF CQB was see if those entering would leave a security guy- they usually never do. I can't tell you how many times I've circled a house and pop, pop, pop while a couple guys were fighting through the rest of the structure. A way to do that is very nice.

All this depends on how far you want to go with it. Being as you are considering a major part of a construction project, I figured it would be worth mentioning it.

Oh and get Joel Skousons "Survival Home" I think new editions called "The Secure Home". I think he has or did have a "high security shelters" book also. Dude is old skewl survivalist and architect, being doing this forever.
View Quote

All good info.

Yes this house will be a concrete slab. The rebar for the walls will be set and tied to the rebar in the slab when it's poured.

I want to put in an inswing hatch door in the ceiling at least. If not have another hidden vault door leading to the hallway. I could put it in behind a bookcase or built in shelves.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:39:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SNAFU-M1A] [#12]
I know it's been a month but look & see if your state's Department of Homeland Security has a grant program for residential safe rooms.  Indiana does one every year where you can apply and they pick 25 people, which is way too small a number, & they will give up to 75% or $5,000 for a safe room.

https://www.in.gov/dhs/emergency-management-and-preparedness/mitigation-and-recovery/idhs-residential-safe-room-program/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery#Process_If_Selected_to_Receive_a_Rebate

You can also look & see if you can get FEMA to pay for it.  Magic Prepper has a video, that I suggest everyone watch, where he goes over everything he did to get them to pay for 85% of his.  Of all the worthless things the government wastes money on this is one I think that's a good idea.  I wish the government did the same for solar,  besides their weak tax credit.

My Above Ground Storm Shelter & How I Got FEMA To Pay For 85% Of It
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Just did a 9x6. Did ICF on recommendations from company that builds rated storm shelters. 6" concrete with rebar all throughout. F5 rated with a reinforced door that opens inside.

The biggest thing is going to be moisture and ventilation. While it's drying, it's pretty damp. I have ah hvac going to the room and it will rip off if the house is gone or it will continue to feed air of some sort. The door has vents that I can open too if I must.

I did not go with a vault door. Will just have a safe in there...

Have a composting toilet, a large battery and snacks, water, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top