Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 8:48:32 AM EDT
APX 8000

What is the practical difference between a GPS VHF/UHF 7-800 antenna and a GPS 7-800 antenna?

For those that are clueless.  Benefits/ drawbacks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
No difference, just the advertising copy is a bit inconsistent.

However, to double check this, do you have links to the two antennas your are considering?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, I take it back. Good thing we reviewed the links. The eBay antenna, while it has no Moto part number, appears to only cover the 700 and 800MHz bands, plus GPS. And, since it is eBay, it may not be legit Moto. The $95 antenna seems legit and, more importantly, it covers the same bands as the eBay antenna PLUS the VHF and UHF bands, as specified on that page.

If you don't need coverage in the VHF/UHF bands then you can take a chance on the eBay offering. If it doesn't work well you aren't out a lot of $$$
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for that.  Do you know of any places that would carry the VHF/UHF for less than $90?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Thanks for that.  Do you know of any places that would carry the VHF/UHF for less than $90?
View Quote
$85 is less than $90

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186331760122

The Moto part number is AN000342A01, so you can try searching around for that, but I didn't find much.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Full-band antennas are pretty expensive.  The EMWave/Kenwood/EFJ ones are about that price.

Advantage to 7/800-only antennas is that they don't poke you in the armpit all day long.  If I didn't need VHF on my viking i'd be running a stubby.
Same reason I run a stubby on my XPR.

Portables are radios of convenience, not performance.  Giant-ass antennas greatly detract from the convenience factor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top