Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2024 4:08:39 PM EDT
Bought a Motorola HT 1250 LS at the last Tulsa ham fest. Seems to be a poor impulse purchase. Doesn't look like I can get it reprogrammed easily. Would like to get on the local repeaters. Should I throw it on ebay? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Motorola no longer charges individuals for software.  How much can a programming cable cost you?  That seems to be your only expense.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
??

Thanks! From what I read it requires expensive proprietary software. Illegal to download. I must have been reading old stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
??

Thanks! From what I read it requires expensive proprietary software. Illegal to download. I must have been reading old stuff.
View Quote

That hasn't been true for quite a while. That radio requires Professional CPS which may or may not still be available directly from Motorola (for free, no less). If not, Google is your friend.

*I'm not a Motorola guy. A few others here are.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was true up until a few years ago, Moto held onto that stuff with a death grip even though it was decade outdated hardware.  They finally relented it seems.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That was true up until a few years ago, Moto held onto that stuff with a death grip even though it was decade outdated hardware.  They finally relented it seems.
View Quote

Cool! It seems to be a common occurrence to find old info in a search. Thanks everyone!

KI5GWZ
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If I may ask, how would you recommend reprogramming this radio?

I just figured out how to set the clock.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
The software will be laid out a bit different from the likes of Chirp and most amateur radio focused programming software.  I'd recommend watching some Youtube videos about that radio programming, or even just programming with Motorola Professional CPS in general.  Remember that these radios were designed with a public safety network use in mind, so a ton of the features will be foreign and useless to you since you just want standard analog channels.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You might be better off selling it and getting a dual or tri-band ham radio, though I certainly won't dissuade you from the Motorola addiction.

Do you have the software? Do you have a programming cable? I can't remember if that model requires a RIB box or not.

BlueMaxer49 on ebay sells programming cables on ebay that are priced right and are good to go.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Home now and took a picture. Got the mic and charge stand. I'm reading through the instructions manual and it is older tech, obviously. When were these made? Has the limited keyboard. The battery seems good. I'd like to program the main local repeater frequency in. Haven't found the power output. I'm on a hill but 20 miles north of Tulsa. It may not work. Was recently tempted by the post in GD about the tidradio TD H8. Have a couple of baofengs. Really only talk on the local repeater network. The baofengs hit the repeater well in the winter but fall off with leaves on the trees. (I'm guessing)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
No software or cable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No software or cable.
View Quote
They are not front panel programmable, you'll need the software (called Professional CPS) and the cable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Downloaded the business radio cps .exe file. Will mess with it tomorrow. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Home now and took a picture. Got the mic and charge stand. I'm reading through the instructions manual and it is older tech, obviously. When were these made? Has the limited keyboard. The battery seems good. I'd like to program the main local repeater frequency in. Haven't found the power output. I'm on a hill but 20 miles north of Tulsa. It may not work. Was recently tempted by the post in GD about the tidradio TD H8. Have a couple of baofengs. Really only talk on the local repeater network. The baofengs hit the repeater well in the winter but fall off with leaves on the trees. (I'm guessing)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262615/20240725_194743_jpg-3277000.JPG
View Quote

How old? Very.

They are tough radios. I've seen customers abuse them horribly and they keep going. Guessing VHF is 4 to 5 watts.

Good luck getting it programmed. Also maybe a higher gain antenna for your Baofengs is the ticket.

Just a heads up, select the correct COM port on the CPS or it will look like it's reading the radio, but it never will, so you have to close the program.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a Motorola guy either, but IIRC, the HT1250-LS radios can only be programmed for 16 or 18 conventional channels. The normal HT-1250 can be programmed for 128 channels.

Sixteen channels are probably enough for local 2 meter repeaters.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Downloaded the business radio cps .exe file. Will mess with it tomorrow. Thanks!
View Quote

That won't work.

Most everything you need and need to know is here. https://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/Waris  Scroll near the end to the CPS section.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That won't work.

Most everything you need and need to know is here. https://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/Waris  Scroll near the end to the CPS section.
View Quote

Thanks. Lot's of info there. Looks like my laptop won't work, it's windows 10. Maybe there is a work around for that. Does CPS have a "run as" in properties?

ETA. found a ebay programming option for $35 + shipping. May be the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks. Lot's of info there. Looks like my laptop won't work, it's windows 10. Maybe there is a work around for that. Does CPS have a "run as" in properties?

ETA. found a ebay programming option for $35 + shipping. May be the way to go.
View Quote

It will work on Windows 10 &11. Install it as a 32-bit program. Works fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top