Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2023 11:50:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ltcdwb]
My lovely bride of 47 years told me she would like a pontoon boat for her birthday.  We are retired and can afford it.  also, we both like to fish, just never had much time for it until now.  About 15 years ago we bought a used 20' pontoon boat.  We were only able to take it out twice.  We were both still working full time and we had started a business that suddenly got really busy.  

I say all of that to establish I don't know anything about pontoon boats.  My basic question is whether the Sun Tracker pontoon boats Bass Pro shops sell are a good way to go?

UPDATE - We found a local dealer that carries Godfrey pontoon boats.  Went there to take a look at the Sweetwater boats.  Unfortunately, they didn't have a fishing version (with 4 fishing chairs).  They did have a really nice G3 Suncatcher tri-toon.  The dealership is closing their doors after 50 years in business.  They decided to retire, I don't blame them.  Since they are retiring, there are some very good deals.

We like the boat and really like the price.  Now, we need to talk financing.  Our local bank offerred 9.5% for 5 years.  Tell me, is that a fair rate for someone with excellent credit?  What other finance companies should we look at?
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Tracker is the cheap beginner level. You should really look at higher level manufacturers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you’re trailering, stay away from pontoons. Good fishing platform, but that’s their only advantage.  Boats are superior in every other way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Try looking at Godfrey Sweetwaters, We have a 2286 BF with sport toon and 150 Yamaha. It is built well, handles great
and will run over 40MPH with me and the Wife..

What ever you do, don't go cheap on the engine. With the 150 I can cruise at 25MPH at 3900 RPM.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:25:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillcountry] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Try looking at Godfrey Sweetwaters, We have a 2286 BF with sport toon and 150 Yamaha. It is built well, handles great
and will run over 40MPH with me and the Wife..

What ever you do, don't go cheap on the engine. With the 150 I can cruise at 25MPH at 3900 RPM.
View Quote

Had the same Sweetwater 2286! I can vouch for them being great, well made boats (get the TRITOON and 150 YAMAHA) you won’t regret it!
That boat came on plane immediately! Almost too fast for just 2 people! Used it for pleasure and salmon/trout trolling on NH lake Winnipesaukee…for big water, you don’t want less than 22 ft.
Neighbor had a bass pro pontoon and it sucked. Was also way underpowered.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input.  This is exactly why I asked, I was sure I would get some reliable information.  

I was looking at the Sweetwater 2286 and saw this tri-toon(?) at a nearby marine dealer.  I like the layout of the deck.  We both like to fish and our three grandsons are learning to fish.  Does anyone have experience with the Sun Catcher brand?

https://www.lakelbjmarineland.com/boats-for-sale/2023-suncatcher-select-322f-kingsland-texas-8749079/
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 2:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Banditman] [#8]
Look and see how the deck is attached to toons. Stainless bolts with nylock nuts is good, self tapping screws is not
good. What kind of warranty is on the deck and upholstery? The longer the better of course.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 34 year old Sun tracker Party Hut.
We've rebuilt the floor, and all of the cushions have rotted and been removed. We now use lawn chairs.
This thing has been a beast, taught a lot of kids to ski, cooked 1000 hot dogs on it  and rocked many a kid to sleep.
Good memories.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The one pontoon boat we had briefly had an aluminum deck. Looking at the Godfrey models I don’t find one that has an aluminum deck.
Are there any manufacturers that offer aluminum decks?
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
We drove out to a local boat dealer that carries the Godfrey boats.  They are in the process of closing down for retirement.  They didn't have one of the Godfrey Sweetwater set up with four fishing chairs.  They do have a Suncatcher Tri-toon fishing set up with four fishing chairs.  It has a Yamaha 200 HP four stroke motor, Garmin fish finder / GPS, two live wells, a cooler, boat cover and trailer.  It is discounted to invoice price which is about $13,000 below retail.

What is the general consensus on the quality of the Suncatcher Tri-Toon boats?
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ltcdwb] [#13]
This is the Suncatcher Tri-Toon, not a Tracker boat.  I learned that the Yamaha corporation owns the G3 boat company that makes the Suncatchers.

I forgot to mention it does have a marine grade plywood deck that has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Top Top