Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: Today 11:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smeeg]
I need a laptop for home use I currently only use Apple products wich doesn’t really work for ham radio. It’s primarily for home use but fingered I need something for ham radio as well

- 12vdc charging or USC-PD
-$500 or less
Used or new would prefer new
-low power draw /efficient is a bonus
-rugged with a ip rating would be awesome but I know that will be used only territory considering the budget.
Link Posted: Today 11:45:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rollpin] [#1]
Rugged Dell Latitude?

Ebay, $355.. link is acting weird. Just search "Dell Latitude Rugged" on Ebay.
Link Posted: Today 12:15:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ajroyer] [#2]
Link Posted: Today 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont bother with the Maestro linked above.  It is the most underwhelming machine ive ever owned, and thats compared to a very old HP stream 11 that runs better.  

I dont have personal experience with a better solution.  

Link Posted: Today 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the Maestro listed above, and it does just fine for radio stuff. I would not want to use it as a main laptop for streaming or gaming, but it does the job for digital modes and logging which is what I have it for.
Link Posted: Today 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rollpin:
Rugged Dell Latitude?

Ebay, $355.. link is acting weird. Just search "Dell Latitude Rugged" on Ebay.
View Quote

Dang that looks great for the price do u know what the charging situation is?
12 or 19vdc usb-c pd?
Link Posted: Today 1:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#6]
Lots of portable operators are using Microsoft Surface tablets.
Edit: The Maestro runs on 12v, which is why I got it, along with being cheap as hell.
Edit2:
Off-Grid Ham Radio with a Microsoft Surface
Link Posted: Today 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smeeg:

Dang that looks great for the price do u know what the charging situation is?
12 or 19vdc usb-c pd?
View Quote

No idea. You’d probably want to contact the seller to determine.
Link Posted: Today 2:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnalogKid] [#8]
Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet (7139) w/ 8GB RAM.

Has a 256GB SSD already installed.

I got two used ones including the keyboard dock accessory (which has an internal battery itself) plus AC chargers for ~$129 apiece. They had Win10 Pro installed. One now has Mint 21.3 and a whole bunch of ham software loaded. Mint found all the hardware devices without issue.

If you want to turn it into a mini workstation, Dell offers a dock w/ port expansion and AC charging. Make sure you get the black (not silver) version.
Link Posted: Today 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By smeeg:
I need a laptop for home use I currently only use Apple products wich doesn’t really work for ham radio. It’s primarily for home use but fingered I need something for ham radio as well

- 12vdc charging or USC-PD
-$500 or less
Used or new would prefer new
-low power draw /efficient is a bonus
-rugged with a ip rating would be awesome but I know that will be used only territory considering the budget.
View Quote

Mac OS is more than capable for radio work.  Just a little more in depth.  I ran rumlogng for about a year.  I have MacloggerDX running now for about 8 months.  WSJT-X and macloggerDX work very well together.  

The ONLY issue I currently have is I cannot get FLdigi to play well with wsjt-x and either logging software on the mac.  But I will get it sorted out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top