Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2024 10:23:04 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 12' jon boat with a open floor, without the middle bench that they all seem to have.  I know Alweld used to make them and I missed one that was for sale locally unfortunately. They only list 14' now.   Anyone know of a brand that offers such a boat?  Was hoping to keep it at 12' for some of the smaller limited access lakes in my area.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If the bench seat is riveted in like most jon boats, they're really easy to remove. Just sayin', in case you find a used one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have thought about that.  Haven't seen much locally that would be suitable lately
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
SeaArk makes some like that but I don't believe they make one that small.  

I think they start at 14 or 16 foot boats.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya most seem to start at 14 now.  I read on another forum that kayaks were taking a lot of the 12' boat sales so there wasn't as many options now.   Might have to just go bigger or modify one I guess
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The ones I had all had middle seats set up for oars.
Have you considered a kayak?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
This is just a thought, not sure how deep you want to get into this.
I have a 14' jon boat that has the bench seats in it. I'm in the planning stage of building it out for a (sorta) flats boat.
My plan is to cut the bench about 4" from the side of the boat and then box it back in along the length of the boat. In theory this will help support the boat sides and keep them from splaying out or in.
I don't think it will be too difficult to do and it will be a convenient, closed place to run wires and such.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmacbow:
If the bench seat is riveted in like most jon boats, they're really easy to remove. Just sayin', in case you find a used one.
View Quote

Wonder how much that bench is responsible for structural rigidity.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Wonder how much that bench is responsible for structural rigidity.
View Quote

And foam…I took it out of the bow of my Jon but people online freak out about it.  My Lowe is an open floor (not the bow) but it’s an 18 footer.  I think you may have trouble finding one that small.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely hard to find a 12'.  Alweld was the only one I found and they don't list it anymore, only 14'.  This would have been perfect

Link Posted: 8/11/2024 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Look for an older Sears 12 foot Jon boat. You might need to do a little work on it but at least you can save a good chunk of money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Tracker just came out with some new grizzly small boats.
But they are not open floor.
Might be able to modify them.

https://www.trackerboats.com/jon.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
A 12' is really quite tiny any place other than the back of a truck.

With most any small outboard or even oars the 14' will sit higher and move thru the water better.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Wanted to put a perforated aluminum floor on mine - but could not take the cost per sheet of the stuff.  Self drying, bit of airflow to keep it cooler...  Oh well.  Maybe I will return to the project someday.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Check for duck hunting Jon boats. I used to see them like that during duck hunting season. Can’t remember the brand. Sorry.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#15]
If you’re willing to buy new, call Alweld. They might just make it for you. The Alweld I own now was a custom job…in 1984.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top