Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2024 10:45:51 PM EDT
I know we used to have a discussion here on philosophy of use of PDWs as it relates to outdoors and shtf, and I am a big believer in pistols over SBR as it relates to legalities during grey areas of civil unrest (where police may be responding or may not depending on what block you're traversing at the time, as we've seen in 2020).

I have always been of the mind to prefer 300 blackout over pistol caliber carbines if we are opting for an AR pistol sized package even if the value proposition is very low (extremely expensive compared to 9mm, suppressed or not) but that if we need to go even smaller a braced handgun does have a niche. They've been evolving for some time and now that the raider 365 is released I think I'm ready to make the jump; it's finally compact enough in my mind that it would feel at home in a chest pack, already comes with a holster, and 9mm hardcast is comparable to 10mm hardcast in penetration (both exceeding 63" in testing) with the advantages offered in size, capacity, recoil / follow up shots and cost to train.

There hasn't been much ado about it, a handful of reviews so far, but I think this manifestation of the concept has hit the sweet spot. Any thoughts? Anyone planning on picking one up?
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly the closest comparable weapons system is the OG Skorpion PDW. I think it’s a niche weapons system that there’s plenty of arguments for and against. I’d be interested how the Raider would handle full auto, if such a thing was even possible.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks interesting, but it seems like that brace (or stocked version) is pretty short.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m a fan of pistol based PDW’s and have a few flavors of them.

I think these are pretty cool, but I don’t own an Sig anything so not for me.

I do take issue with the idea of .300blk for SHTF use unless you put a LOT of it away and don’t care if it is discrete or not… I’m in the process of building 2 .300 guns so it’s not like I’m a hater, but if shooting things and being as discrete as possible, a .300 isn’t exactly the quietest thing out there…I’ve never heard a .300 that was quieter than a 9mm, wet or dry. I have a neighbor that shoots .300 from about 400 yards away in the woods. I can hear it from the inside of my cabin and know what direction it is coming from…. You might fool people a mile or so away but everyone in his immediate area knows he just touched a round off and where it was fired from.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
I’m a fan of pistol based PDW’s and have a few flavors of them.

I think these are pretty cool, but I don’t own an Sig anything so not for me.

I do take issue with the idea of .300blk for SHTF use unless you put a LOT of it away and don’t care if it is discrete or not… I’m in the process of building 2 .300 guns so it’s not like I’m a hater, but if shooting things and being as discrete as possible, a .300 isn’t exactly the quietest thing out there…I’ve never heard a .300 that was quieter than a 9mm, wet or dry. I have a neighbor that shoots .300 from about 400 yards away in the woods. I can hear it from the inside of my cabin and know what direction it is coming from…. You might fool people a mile or so away but everyone in his immediate area knows he just touched a round off and where it was fired from.
View Quote

Not to be rude, but do you know what round of .300 he is shooting? Does he run it suppressed?
I have a short barreled .300 BO, I run 208 gr AMAX handloads running around 1050fps, with a YHM .30 suppressor.

It's 100% hearing safe. When I shoot it I, and other people have said, the bolt closing on the chamber is loaded than the shot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pav56C:

Not to be rude, but do you know what round of .300 he is shooting? Does he run it suppressed?
I have a short barreled .300 BO, I run 208 gr AMAX handloads running around 1050fps, with a YHM .30 suppressor.

It's 100% hearing safe. When I shoot it I, and other people have said, the bolt closing on the chamber is loaded than the shot.
View Quote

I do/did. We are sorta shooting buddies and I knew him before he became my neighbor. We both shoot suppressed guns-sound carries a long way in the woods. I can hear it sitting on my couch from that far away…., that’s not quiet.

A 9mm can run wet with 147 grain loads? That’s about as quiet as you can get and still be reliably lethal. Sure a .300 will have a little longer reach but both are severely limited by the shooter’s ability to both estimate distance and dope the rather significant drop at longer ranges. I’d love to be proven wrong, but I have not personally heard a .300blk that can be fired in rural property not not be heard by a normal human ear 1/4 mile away from the shooter. 1/2 mile maybe, but if you are a ridge or two away and someone is shooting at or near you…. You’ll know immediately  and from where it came.
Top Top