User Panel

POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 56 of 56)
Page / 56
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
I’m headed to Japan in October and I’m taking my TX-500 with the intent of doing a couple of activations; already applied for my Japanese call sign.

Looking at the Parks On The Air website there are a quite a number of parks in the places that we’re going to visit that have already been activated.
View Quote

Cool!  Hope you post up some info when the time comes, so folks here can work you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:18:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#3]
About to walk into EDIT and setup. Will be ssb, probably 10 thru 15m

QRT
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Currently at US-4391 DN21, will be heading to US-6091 Bonneville Salt Flats
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I just missed you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Would you all say that POTA is gaining in popularity, or declining?  I know it's a work day, and I do not have a good sample set.  But it seems to me that the summer evening activations last year were a lot more frequent that what I'm seeing this year.  Again, I haven't been on the radio much, but I just checked the spots for SSB, any band in HAMRS and there were only 2 activations.

This time of the evening (8:20 local time) last year there were usually 10 or more activations on many days throughout the summer.  Weekends were very busy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#7]
The HF bands were much more consistent last year. The bands have been unstable the last few months. I think that has been a big part of it.

I dont have an opinion on if it is gaining / declining……. Havent seen any clear indication.

I am for sure seeing more DX parks being activated and spotted, I really wanted to get Romania today but could never hear him.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
IMO the bands have been kind of weird the last few months.  Definitely not the propagation we saw in the spring and fall.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Would you all say that POTA is gaining in popularity, or declining?  I know it's a work day, and I do not have a good sample set.  But it seems to me that the summer evening activations last year were a lot more frequent that what I'm seeing this year.  Again, I haven't been on the radio much, but I just checked the spots for SSB, any band in HAMRS and there were only 2 activations.

This time of the evening (8:20 local time) last year there were usually 10 or more activations on many days throughout the summer.  Weekends were very busy.
View Quote

Covid hit at exactly the right time to play on the remote work thing.  But, the remote work thing is being walked back by lots of folks.  Both individuals who've discovered they actually 'liked' going to the office and companies who've discovered there are huge management style changes needed to properly manage a remote workforce, and aren't yet prepared to make those changes.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#10]
It might just be settling in to a plateau. Kids take up most of my time and free time for me is spent playing with guns versus radio. So I don't do POTA much.

It's still fun. But I'd rather do other things most of the time. Hell I've been considering removing my mobile station and selling it all.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#11]
That does bring up another POTA topic.

I did not know so many people just use a mobile setup in their car to do POTA. I guess this might be because I first heard about SOTA and watched some videos on that…….

I like walking into where I do radio and walking back out, but I also have a lot of free time relative to most people I know,
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

I did not know so many people just use a mobile setup in their car to do POTA. I guess this might be because I first heard about SOTA and watched some videos on that  .

I like walking into where I do radio and walking back out, but I also have a lot of free time relative to most people I know,
View Quote
Most of my activations these days are mobile setups, quick in and out. Unless I'm camping which is a few times a year, Including this weekend. I'll be at US-4526 at 4200' for the vhf contest but will have a 80-10ocfd in the air for vhf downtimes
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#13]

I did not know so many people just use a mobile setup in their car to do POTA. I guess this might be because I first heard about SOTA and watched some videos on that…….

View Quote

walking in and going portable with the 891 is more fun

….but as the wife and I worked towards 100 different parks, travel time increased

it’s convenient to operate mobile when you have a long drive back home

….or when it’s raining or mosquitoes are everywhere

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
Most of my activations these days are mobile setups, quick in and out. Unless I'm camping which is a few times a year, Including this weekend. I'll be at US-4526 at 4200' for the vhf contest but will have a 80-10ocfd in the air for vhf downtimes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:

I did not know so many people just use a mobile setup in their car to do POTA. I guess this might be because I first heard about SOTA and watched some videos on that  .

I really like VHF simplex stuff portable. I found a nice place near me and have got some good distance from my tape measure yagi on a pole. In the flat lands, our options are limited for super cool stuff.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#16]

View Quote
It's weather dependent down here. When the summer starts trying to go outside and activate for any length of time can become dangerous, especially to older folks. But we get activate in the winter most of the time and be comfortable.

I much prefer portable and even hiking to a nice spot. But it's just too damn much unless I am already there camping.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

For me, I installed a mobile station specifically for POTA so I could do quick and dirty drive-up activations whenever I get the time.  Plus it enables activations in uncomfortable weather.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 4:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#18]
Are you guys just leaving the car running so the radio doesnt drain your starter battery or are you hooking up to a secondary battery source while parked?
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you guys just leaving the car running so the radio doesnt drain your starter battery or are you hooking up to a secondary battery source while parked?
View Quote

I have always hooked up a secondary LiFePo4 battery.  Click/click using anderson powerpoles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I just keep an eye on the voltage and keep a jump starter pack in the vehicle in case I draw down the battery too far.  I operate engine off.  I do have a LiFePO4 power supply I can use if I think it will be a long activation.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#21]
View Quote

i leave it running

air conditioning also

4cylinder camry goes forever on a tank of gas
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:33:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#22]
Kind of another topic, park-to-park only activations.

I have done a couple like this where I get the required 10 contacts just hunting park to park.  But this only really is convenient when you have an internet connection so you can see the spots.  

I was at Canyonlands NP a couple of weekends ago but had no 5G connection and I hadn't looked up the park number beforehand.  So I just left and went to Dead Horse Point state park because they have 5G at the visitor center and activated from the parking lot.

ETA I hadn't brought my paper log so without the spots I would have had to fill in HAMRS manually and it would have been tedious.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

i leave it running

air conditioning also

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Colt653:

i leave it running

air conditioning also

Yeah, 5.3L in a Chevy Silverado not so much.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I keep my truck running. It doesn't use that much while idling and I'm only there for an hour or so anyway.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]
For y'all with permanent in-vehicle setups, a larger sized lifepo4 battery with a victron orion smart DC-DC charger is an extremely handy setup.  I won't go so far as to say it's a game changer, but the peace of mind knowing you won't discharge your starting battery whilst in the middle of nowhere is hard to beat.

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-smart

So you don't have to click on the link:  The smart DC-DC converter senses when your vehicle battery is charging and activates the charging circuit for the lithium 'house' (in this case transceiver) battery.  If the vehicle is running, it's active and charging.  If the vehicle is off, it's deactivated.

I use this setup for Starlink after coming way way too close to stranding myself.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Just looking at my awards page on POTA.  I am one contact away from getting a "repeat offender hunter" at park US-2996 Cedar Hills State Park in TX with 19 QSOs.

Perhaps ironically, the next park I have on the repeat offender list is in Canada with 11 QSOs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 5:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#27]
So I took a long ATV ride way, way far away from civilization this morning to see if the road was good enough for my jeep.  I planned to be the first to activate US-5847.  It has been sitting there for a couple of years unactivated.  Anyhow I got within a couple of miles of the park boundary and the road was in great shape this year, but 2 people had beat me to it in May of this year.  

I'm very disappointed because I had my eye on that park for a long time.  Dangit!

There is another one I might have to go grab this Saturday before someone else does.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m heading out, should be on 20m in 30 min.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 11:34:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#30]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
the bands have been terrible lately, maybe one park in two days on average...
I hope things turn around quickly for my US-0023 activation next month
View Quote

They are bad during the day. Pretty great at night. I was on for a couple hours and got 44 from about 0330-0530z.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:28:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#32]
Interesting you got Europe but not Japan. Were you blocked to the west by terrain?

I still need AK and SD on pota
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:38:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#33]
Interesting you got Europe but not Japan. Were you blocked to the west by terrain?

I still need AK and SD on pota
View Quote

I actually did have a rock wall and mountain behind me to the west.

I worked some guy in Ohio last night and Alaska was the last one he needed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#34]
6479 around 7:15p central
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Racked up a few more this summer. Couple of Canadian provinces as well.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]
LoTW allows you to setup different QTH locations to select from prior to direct log upload.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#39]

ahh, okay...

UL to LoTW first..

I've been uploading to QRZ (easiest(~)) then syncing LoTW..

Looks like I've got it sorted.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WillieTangoFox:
LoTW allows you to setup different QTH locations to select from prior to direct log upload.

ahh, okay...

UL to LoTW first..

I've been uploading to QRZ (easiest(~)) then syncing LoTW..

Looks like I've got it sorted.

Thanks

Yup, thats why I pay for QRZ membership…… easy log transfer. But you have to start on the LoTW side to fix the grid square issue as far as I can tell with their QTH setup options on the opening screen. I actually need to set that back up on my new laptop. I broke my old radioing laptop by letting morning dew get all up in it camping. Lol. I need a hardcase for my new laptop for camping.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 9:42:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flhtc79086] [#40]
I set up at a local city park with my Xiegu G90 and my JPC-12 antenna and hunted some POTA activations on 20M...

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Page / 56
Next Page Arrow Left
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 56 of 56)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top