Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 57 of 57)
Page / 57
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:
I've been playing with MINT again, it really makes windows seem so fucking BLOATED
View Quote

My work laptops are i5/i7 class machines w/ 16GB RAM and SSDs. Some are a bit faster than others depending on vintage (one's a 12-year-old HP 8560p that's perfectly serviceable for daily work duties with an OEM version of Linux installed).

The others... later model hardware; 1ea OEM Linux and Windows 11 Enterprise. Except when the AV suite scans the disk, the Windows system runs noticeably faster than my wife's Dell 5520 w/ 32GB RAM and Windows 11 Pro. And the Linux system is downright snappy.

FWIW, her work laptop is a carbon copy of her personal system but with Windows 11 Enterprise and employer restrictions via GPO. It can be a little sluggish.

I tried bare-metal installs of Windows 10 Pro on my personal systems, eliminated as much bloat as I could and the platforms were still hobbled on occasion. Put Mint 19.3 on one in dual-boot mode and never looked back. Any Windows installations now live as VMs. The hosts are more than capable of supporting them.

Sorry for the thread hijack. The tablet I mentioned earlier has Win10 Pro installed and it's a choice of trying to un-fuck it or swap the SSDs, install Mint and go from there. Given the fact I got the keyboard dock with it, the setup is ideal for POTA digital operation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I set up portable at a local city park and hunted a few POTA activators this morning. I did not stay long and left before is got too hot...

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#3]
Originally Posted By flhtc79086:
I set up portable at a local city park and hunted a few POTA activators this morning. I did not stay long and left before is got too hot...

https://i.postimg.cc/dQzZFDMF/park.jpg
View Quote

Find some local POTA parks, and start calling "Park-to-Park"

You'll have 10 in the logbook in a few mins

https://pota.app/#/map

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WillieTangoFox:
Another option is “Andy’s Ham Radio Linux” which is a prepackaged install. For people just dipping their toes in Linux, it is a good starting point that troubleshoots some issues up front.
View Quote

This is on V4 now. This video shows the install process and what programs are on it.
Here is the github, I used sourceforge to not have to unzip it.
How to Install HamPi on Raspberry Pi 4b - HAM Radio - TheSmokinApe

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 3:45:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flhtc79086] [#5]

Originally Posted By Colt653:

Find some local POTA parks, and start calling "Park-to-Park"
You'll have 10 in the logbook in a few mins
View Quote

I love it when the uninformed post crap to try and make themselves look good or better than others... Why didn't you just ask if I activate POTA, instead of assuming that all I do is hunt. Try not to waste time and space on the forum and just keep to the post. This is my POTA – I think that I know what a “Park to Park” call is…

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By flhtc79086:

I love it when the uninformed post crap to try and make themselves look good or better than others... Why didn't you just ask if I activate POTA, instead of assuming that all I do is hunt. Try not to waste time and space on the forum and just keep to the post. This is my POTA – I think that I know what a “Park to Park” call is…

https://i.postimg.cc/fyqn6scy/my-pota.jpg
View Quote

Dude,

Relax, I've never noticed your screen name on here before.

You mentioned you went to a local park.  I tried to encourage you to try POTA

Looks like you're already into it.

cool

have a good weekend

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

This is on V4 now. This video shows the install process and what programs are on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPVHxITxqpw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Another option is “Andy’s Ham Radio Linux” which is a prepackaged install. For people just dipping their toes in Linux, it is a good starting point that troubleshoots some issues up front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPVHxITxqpw

Cool. I will probably do another fresh install soon, I gave away my last ham radio linux laptop to someone else. My low end chromebook I used at the desk doesnt have enough built in memory for the full Andy package,
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#8]
One thing I discovered with Linux is that you had to add your user to something called a dialout group in order to get it to connect via either USB or Serial ports. Sound would work but rig control and chirp wouldn't.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
One thing I discovered with Linux is that you had to add your user to something called a dialout group in order to get it to connect via either USB or Serial ports. Sound would work but rig control and chirp wouldn't.
View Quote

Yeah, that is going to be someone’s first problem with linux and something the prepackaged Andys Ham Radio Linux takes care of up front.

I just start typing sudo apt……. Then random things I have seen on youtube, until things happen, lol
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Yeah, that is going to be someone’s first problem with linux and something the prepackaged Andys Ham Radio Linux takes care of up front.

I just start typing sudo apt……. Then random things I have seen on youtube, until things happen, lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

You can run the applications as root, I used to do that with chirp without knowing why but it worked... when I started trying to figure out digital mode setup and scratching my head on why sound would work but rig control refused to connect... then I discovered it. It needs to be better publicized.
Link Posted: Today 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a tv box that has been converted to ham clock. It will also run ft8 and flrig at the same time. It struggles with youtube videos though. They are 49 bucks, and if you have a spare monitor a cheap way to have ham clock running all the time.
https://inovato.com/
Page / 57
Next Page Arrow Left
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 57 of 57)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top