Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2021 10:33:40 PM EDT
What type of blankets are best for storing in a vehicle with little to no space?

I almost had to sleep in my regular cab F150 tonight. It reminded me that I should keep a blanket in there to make the experience suck much less, but I have little room to spare.

I'm thinking vacuum packed fleece, but I'd like to avoid vacuum packing if possible.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Emergency Mylar blankets?
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I second the Snugpak
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kept these in vehicles for years.  They've come in handy quite a few times.  They make a heck of a ground cloth for doing about anything you can think of that requires you to be on the ground in wet, cold, muddy, conditions like a tire repair etc.  They are low cost and very effective.

Tj
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kept these in vehicles for years.  They've come in handy quite a few times.  They make a heck of a ground cloth for doing about anything you can think of that requires you to be on the ground in wet, cold, muddy, conditions like a tire repair etc.  They are low cost and very effective.

Tj

Agree, but they don't insulate. But they do reflect and are impermeable and take next-to no space, so there's no reason not to have one or two in your vehicle.

For a blanket, and poncho liner (or any one of the commercial types that can be found these days) in a stuff sack is a decent option.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has never slept in one^

What temps/conditions and budget?
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What type of blankets are best for storing in a vehicle with little to no space?

I almost had to sleep in my regular cab F150 tonight. It reminded me that I should keep a blanket in there to make the experience suck much less, but I have little room to spare.

I'm thinking vacuum packed fleece, but I'd like to avoid vacuum packing if possible.
View Quote

If you can manage it, I would look at putting a sleeping bag behind the seat or below it.

Blanket is nice, but if it gets really cold and you can't run the motor for warmth, you will want the sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What temps/conditions and budget?
View Quote

40s, inside a vehicle, sleeping for a few hours because of work emergencies. Any colder and I'll seek a hotel.

Budget less than $50. Really looking for space savings.

The space blankets are an excellent idea for dropcloths though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

40s, inside a vehicle, sleeping for a few hours because of work emergencies. Any colder and I'll seek a hotel.

View Quote

I’d grab an old poncho liner or two and a candle lantern if you’re sure you’ll be in the vehicle.  If you might be outside the military sleep system bivy and light bag are surprisingly good and probably in the 50-75 range for a beat up one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
cheap sleeping bag stored behind the seat?
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I like top quilts and I think one would work well for car seat sleeping.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go with a poncho liner, or cheaper small sleeping bag from amazon or the like.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's expensive, but I love the Kifaru Doobie. Compresses with no deleterious effect to the insulation, compresses small, is warm, and can also tie into a poncho. About $200 but whats it worth to avoid hypothermia? I have one for my vehicle and one I scrunch down into my hunting pack 'just in case'. Can't say enough nice things about them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Snugpack XL.  They were $50 at Amazon back on 10-12 when I ordered mine.  Have used it on one camping trip and my wife used it twice at sporting events. I'll likely buy another to leave in vehicle when price comes down.

Here are some blanket reviews:
camping blanket
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Is a Snugpack Jungle Blanket any better than a USGI poncho liner? They are both roughly $40 new.

Is there a good source of USGI surplus poncho liners? Most seem to be about $25 + shipping and aren't price competitive with new liners.

Unfortunately, sleeping bags are too bulky for my truck. I have VERY little room.

(This does remind me, I should buy another Polish surplus wool blanket for the house)
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have USGI poncho liners stashed everywhere....boat, truck, cabin...I use them all the time.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes you can find down bags that are in that temperature and price range on the discount sites.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sometimes you can find down bags that are in that temperature and price range on the discount sites.
View Quote

No room.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No room.
View Quote

Down bags can stuff at least as small as any blanket that would keep you reasonably warm. The problem there is that keeping it stuffed for long periods can harm their ability to insulate evenly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is a Snugpack Jungle Blanket any better than a USGI poncho liner? They are both roughly $40 new.

View Quote

The Snugpak is definitely an upgrade from the USGI poncho liner. It's warmer and one side is wind/water resistant. It lacks ribbons to tie it into a poncho, but that's the only thing it lacks compared with the poncho liner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top