Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2024 4:02:54 PM EDT
So I am wanting to build a shed to park my tractor and a couple vehicles under. I am wanting 30’ wide and 25’ deep or maybe 20’. I want it to have 10’ walls and if I do a lean to style I want the back wall 10’ and I will fill in the sides with the sky light panels. My problem is I can’t fins any plans with a depth like that and I am not any good at designing stuff. I am going with 10’ Walls because I have the tin for the walls I also have some for the roof but I need to measure it. Would you guys go with the lean to style or would you use a peak style roof and either build or buy trusses? And does anyone know how to figure out a set of plans for this?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
30 feet wide you are going to have to do trusses unless you want a row of posts up the middle.  I would probably do a 3/12 pitch or so peaked roof.   You can likely get a set of plans from the outfit that builds the trusses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.barrycountylumber.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SPB24x32.pdf
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Orion_Shall_Rise] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#5]
What type of trusses are you going with?  I did a 20x30 with 14ft walls.  Steel trusses.  In my AO, this is plenty to have posts 12' on center, which allows for 10' wide roll up doors.  IDK what you can get away with in other locations where you have to worry about snow loads.

I have a set of generic drawings.  It was good enough for the permit office.

After the building was "complete" and passed final inspection, I came back in to stud in the walls with 2x6 to make hanging stuff on the walls easier and somewhere to mount outlets.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I was thinking wood trusses. A couple places local that make them. My tin will be too short if I go this route unless I overlap it. Which could be a possibility I could use new tin on the side you would see. I need to go talk to the truss place but I can’t seem to get a day off. These 7/12’s are getting old. Trying to get my sons tractor going in my free time
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
More storage possibilities with trusses. I tore down my lean to and had a metal building about your size built. Think of super carport style. I fit three tractors in it and a few implements. You could leave sides and back open and use your tin for that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have looked into having a big carport built. I like that it would be done in a day. I’m honestly just worried about one blowing away. This building would be on gravel
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I had a truss place finally get back with me. 2 end trusses and 5 regular trusses. $1490. I didn’t think that was too bad. I think they had them on 4’ centers. Do I need a post every 4’ then? I like the price of the trusses
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:40:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheJMan1] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Well I had a truss place finally get back with me. 2 end trusses and 5 regular trusses. $1490. I didn’t think that was too bad. I think they had them on 4’ centers. Do I need a post every 4’ then? I like the price of the trusses
View Quote

You don't need a post for every truss, they sit on top of the beams which will be sized based on the roof load.  Here in NEPA it's common to use 4x6 or 6x6 posts 8 feet on center with two 2x10s for beams.  The trusses will need to be tied to the beams using hardware or lumber.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:02:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#11]
OP, here is a pic of the lean-to I recently built off of my shop:
Attachment Attached File

The lean-to is about 12' off the building.  The beams are twin 2x10's.   The posts are 10' on center 2 7/8" oilfield pipe.  For the posts, we drove 8'ers into the ground pretty well as far as the driver would drive them, then welded a 2' long "male" 2 3/8" pipe into the top (1' in the 2 7/8" pipe and 1' sticking out).  When that was done we shot all the 2 7/8" pipe tops with a transit, recorded the measurements, figured out what the height of the beam would need to be, did some math, custom cut each top pipe to length, welded a heavy piece of angle iron onto the top (to bolt the 2 x 10 beams to), then set them onto the driven posts.

ETA: you may notice some extra splices in the pipe posts in my crappy grainy iPotato pic.  This is due to me making the notes from the transit measurements, then a buddy doing the math on what the top pipe lengths should be... We weren't quite on the same page, and as  result I had to make some corrections.

ETA 2.0: The posts are plumb (or really close to plumb).  I think they look all wanky and out of plumb because of the angle I took the pic from.
Top Top