Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2024 8:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8upwitHDs]
Pecron has come out with a new DC charger, that will allow you to charge your portable solar generator at up to 500w off of your vehicle's battery. Your vehicle has to be running for this to work.

Cigarette lighter connections usually only output less than 100w, most only 80w. This would take 20 hours to charge a Pecron E2000LFP. With this step up box you can charge up in a fraction of that time.

Here's the other cool thing about this box, because it uses MC-4 connectors, the majority of solar generator brands can use this device (Bluetti, Ecoflow, Jackery).

Why would you need this device?? In the event that you need to charge your device and you have no sun available (dark, cloudy, snowy...whatever) and no AC power. This is a third way to charge your

solar generator at almost 500w. It comes with wiring and a fused link to make using this as simple as possible.

DC1242-500 500w Car Charger

Edit: Changing title to reflect new Pecron Offering
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Kinda like this Thingy?

It’s not a new idea. The overlanding community has been doing something similar for a long time. The small profile and simplicity is very appealing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8upwitHDs] [#2]
@Raven_Fire

Yep....similar functionality. Ecoflow (800w) $599 vs Pecron (500w) $149. And do you know if the Ecoflow will allow everyone to play with their connectors?

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.  

However, don’t be like their advertising photos and be driving around with a big heavy battery (solar gen) unrestrained inside your passenger area!  Good way for a minor crash to become a serious problem when it whacks you in the head (have seen the results…)
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
So slight trade off: burning fuel, causing excess wear on engine parts and belts, etc. but might work in a pinch
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scalped:
So slight trade off: burning fuel, causing excess wear on engine parts and belts, etc. but might work in a pinch
View Quote

I can definitely see the value when you're driving longer distances.

We have a battery charged when hooked up to my wife's Jeep Cherokee that's part of her Woolly Bear trailer, but we also have a Bluetti solar generator which is easier to move around for solar when camped...that is the battery that would have some value being charged as we're driving.

How long is the battery hook up cable? If I went this route, I'd need to run it all the way to the back of the Cherokee.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this a shill post or someone actually using it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
@Rock6

Mine should be here next week sometime. I will let you guys know once I get to test it out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#8]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
View Quote

@wvfarrier

Sure seems like a shill post.  I mean there are many products that charge batteries not sure why this one is being called out as special.  Also those MC4 connectors don't work with any Jackery battery I know of.  Jackery has always used either a 7909 connector and/or the Anderson connector.  They are now using a proprietary 8909 connector for power on their newer models which is rumored to prevent 3rd party solar panels.

The AI/fake pictures and lack of any real description or power/data specs should also be a massive red flag for that website.  I would 100% hesitate trusting this product or that website.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dace:

@wvfarrier

Sure seems like a shill post.  I mean there are many products that charge batteries not sure why this one is being called out as special.  Also those MC4 connectors don't work with any Jackery battery I know of.  Jackery has always used either a 7909 connector and/or the Anderson connector.  They are now using a proprietary 8909 connector for power on their newer models which is rumored to prevent 3rd party solar panels.

The AI/fake pictures and lack of any real description or power/data specs should also be a massive red flag for that website.  I would 100% hesitate trusting this product or that website.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:

@wvfarrier

Also considering the OP was blowing up the current deal thread with the same brand batteries from a company no one has ever heard of……
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 7:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OmegamanX] [#10]
In reality I only use Bluetti solar generators and they have 'turbo mode' as an option built in to use! But they say it's harder on the battery to use it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:38:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8upwitHDs] [#11]
Originally Posted By Raven_Fire:

Also considering the OP was blowing up the current deal thread with the same brand batteries from a company no one has ever heard of……
View Quote

@Raven_Fire, @Dace, @wvfarrier

Been posting here for awhile. Not a shill post. A few of us started buying Pecron gear last year when they came out with their LFP stuff. Hopefully this step up charger will do what it is supposed to do.

Why are you hating on folks bringing new stuff to the forum?

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a couple of Pecron units. What I'm wondering is at 500W charging with some inefficiency, that would be pushing 40amps being drawn. Better hope you have a really good alternator. Plus, you're burning gas the whole time. Being able to recharge by multiple means is nice but I'm not sure how efficient it would be to run your vehicle to charge your power supply vs a small generator.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#13]

@wvfarrier

View Quote

@Dace
Still not a shill. Here is an answer or a partial answer to your question about connecting a Jackery. You will need to buy a 3rd party adapter cable to add the MC4 connectors. Or cut up a stock cable and add MC-4's of your own. I will let you do your own research on that.

WARNING: Make sure that your device's solar input can handle up to 500w before you even go down this path. If the device will not handle it, this is not the solution for you.

Jackery to MC-4

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By planemaker:
I've got a couple of Pecron units. What I'm wondering is at 500W charging with some inefficiency, that would be pushing 40amps being drawn. Better hope you have a really good alternator. Plus, you're burning gas the whole time. Being able to recharge by multiple means is nice but I'm not sure how efficient it would be to run your vehicle to charge your power supply vs a small generator.
View Quote

Hey Plane,
I was actually thinking of folks like you when I posted this with your radio's and what not. I thought this would be perfect if you were using this for real and had run out of power with no other way to charge for the reasons I listed.

Here is their manual for the device. It was just released in mid-March of this year, so not a lot available at this time. Hopefully it will function as well as their other gear.

Manual

Here are a couple vids:
PECRON 500 Watt car Charger For Power Stations (Game Changer)

Plug-N-Play 500w Fast Car Charger for Power Stations! Only $134! Pecron DC1242-500 Smart Car Charger

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#15]
So, a DC to DC charger...

I use Victron hardware. Its proven.

This one works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZKG396Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 8upwitHDs:

@Dace
Still not a shill. Here is an answer or a partial answer to your question about connecting a Jackery. You will need to buy a 3rd party adapter cable to add the MC4 connectors. Or cut up a stock cable and add MC-4's of your own. I will let you do your own research on that.

WARNING: Make sure that your device's solar input can handle up to 500w before you even go down this path. If the device will not handle it, this is not the solution for you.

Jackery to MC-4

View All Quotes

@wvfarrier

@Dace

Jackery to MC-4

Have your marketing department rewrite the posts you are sending up everywhere because in them your company states it fits Jackery. It does not as admitted in your post above.  Having to buy adapters means it does not fit a product.

the majority of solar generator brands can use this device (Bluetti, Ecoflow, Jackery).

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Have your marketing department rewrite the posts you are sending up everywhere because in them your company states it fits Jackery. It does not as admitted in your post above.  Having to buy adapters means it does not fit a product.

View All Quotes

@wvfarrier

@Dace

Jackery to MC-4

the majority of solar generator brands can use this device (Bluetti, Ecoflow, Jackery).

I don't work for any company in the Solar Generator Industry (just a fan of innovative brands). As with anything in this forum, we are trying to help eachother out (sales, discounts, how-to's). Do your own research to see if it meets your needs/requirements. If it doesn't, move on to the next thing. If it does, well we saved you some headaches. Either way, we are exchanging ideas.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Hey Plane,
I was actually thinking of folks like you when I posted this with your radio's and what not. I thought this would be perfect if you were using this for real and had run out of power with no other way to charge for the reasons I listed.

Here is their manual for the device. It was just released in mid-March of this year, so not a lot available at this time. Hopefully it will function as well as their other gear.

Manual

Here are a couple vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XgiOYMVXHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqnYaqMwktE

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Hey Plane,

Manual

Here are a couple vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XgiOYMVXHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqnYaqMwktE

I guess I'm still not seeing the utility of this vs. a small generator. You're burning a lot more gas using your car's alternator than you would just using a small generator. I find solar is best for charging up these power supplies. My Pecron 600LFP can pull in 500W of solar (at two different voltages, 400W+100W) and the 1500LFP can do 700W (600HV+100LV). And, unless you wired it directly to your car's battery, you wouldn't be able to use it to charge up your power supply while driving down the road.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By planemaker:I guess I'm still not seeing the utility of this vs. a small generator. You're burning a lot more gas using your car's alternator than you would just using a small generator. I find solar is best for charging up these power supplies. My Pecron 600LFP can pull in 500W of solar (at two different voltages, 400W+100W) and the 1500LFP can do 700W (600HV+100LV). And, unless you wired it directly to your car's battery, you wouldn't be able to use it to charge up your power supply while driving down the road.
View Quote

No problem. Thought this might have been an option for folks that head out off grid and need a faster way to recharge when solar and generators are problematic.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]

No problem. Thought this might have been an option for folks that head out off grid and need a faster way to recharge when solar and generators are problematic.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:I guess I'm still not seeing the utility of this vs. a small generator. You're burning a lot more gas using your car's alternator than you would just using a small generator. I find solar is best for charging up these power supplies. My Pecron 600LFP can pull in 500W of solar (at two different voltages, 400W+100W) and the 1500LFP can do 700W (600HV+100LV). And, unless you wired it directly to your car's battery, you wouldn't be able to use it to charge up your power supply while driving down the road.

If you don't have access to a small generator but your car is still working, it would be handy to have around. Not having to haul a generator around is nice when you don't have a lot of room left in your vehicle to begin with because of all the other prep stuff you carry around every day.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#21]
@Raven_Fire

Yep....similar functionality. Ecoflow (800w) $599 vs Pecron (500w) $149. And do you know if the Ecoflow will allow everyone to play with their connectors?

View Quote

You can put MC4 connectors on anything you want with pliers and a soldering iron…..
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

This is a solution for some people and I won’t bag on you for finding it fits your particular need.

I personally would rather get a few flexible solar panels and a decent MPPT charge controller  and not worry about having to run a car engine (they don’t put out full power at idle, BTW so not a 500w charge) or wear on an alternator.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, understood...not for everybody. I am viewing this as another layer in my preps that could allow for some flexibility should the need arise.

For those waiting to see some results and to hear thoughts on functionality... I got this from Pecron today:

A note for 500W car charger

We are very sorry! 500W car chargers are very popular. Orders placed in mid-May need to be queued for delivery. They are expected to arrive at the CA warehouse next week and will be shipped one after another.
Orders starting from May 26th need to wait for the third batch of 500W car chargers to arrive at the warehouse before delivery. The third batch is expected to arrive at the warehouse at the end of June.

(Sorry that due to system reasons, the notification email we automatically sent to customers seems to have failed to be sent, apologize!)
Therefore, we will still maintain the lowest promotional price during this period, and we will end the promotional price after the normal inventory is restored. Thank you so much for your support!

Looks like I am still in a holding pattern for a bit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Yep, understood...not for everybody. I am viewing this as another layer in my preps that could allow for some flexibility should the need arise.

For those waiting to see some results and to hear thoughts on functionality... I got this from Pecron today:

A note for 500W car charger

We are very sorry! 500W car chargers are very popular. Orders placed in mid-May need to be queued for delivery. They are expected to arrive at the CA warehouse next week and will be shipped one after another.
Orders starting from May 26th need to wait for the third batch of 500W car chargers to arrive at the warehouse before delivery. The third batch is expected to arrive at the warehouse at the end of June.

(Sorry that due to system reasons, the notification email we automatically sent to customers seems to have failed to be sent, apologize!)
Therefore, we will still maintain the lowest promotional price during this period, and we will end the promotional price after the normal inventory is restored. Thank you so much for your support!

Looks like I am still in a holding pattern for a bit.
View Quote

Sounds like enough folks thought it was worth having that now they can't keep up with demand. That whole just-in-time supply chain doesn't seem to respond well to unplanned demand changes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 7:26:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DJLTX] [#25]
Having the ability to charge up to 500W from your vehicle's battery is a game-changer, especially for those of us who rely on solar power for our off-grid adventures. The MC-4 connectors make it versatile for various brands, which adds to its convenience. This device would definitely be useful for those unexpected times when you're stuck without AC power or adequate sunlight.

On a related note, when I was looking into solar panels and generators, I came across a fantastic resource that helped me make informed decisions. It's a site that reviews the world's #1 solar generators, and it was incredibly helpful in finding reliable products that suit my needs. If you're considering expanding your solar setup or just want to explore more options, I highly recommend checking out https://solargenerators.to/ for detailed reviews and insights.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:07:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: planemaker] [#26]
Originally Posted By DJLTX:
Having the ability to charge up to 500W from your vehicle's battery is a game-changer, especially for those of us who rely on solar power for our off-grid adventures. The MC-4 connectors make it versatile for various brands, which adds to its convenience. This device would definitely be useful for those unexpected times when you're stuck without AC power or adequate sunlight.
View Quote

If the vehicle is off, don't expect to get more than an hour out of the battery pulling 500W. If you run the vehicle you should be able to keep the 500W unit supplied but you're also burning gas. But then, depending on your alternator, you could just hook up a pretty hefty inverter and waste gas running it all you want.

ETA: Looking at the specs again, it seems like a small enough unit to just toss in a pouch and keep it with the power bank. More options are more gooderer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top