Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2020 11:13:17 AM EDT
heard commotion out by the road, its a major county 2 lane road.

I heard a high powered rifle and pile of dogs barking and a caravan of trucks.  I go out and the truckes are parked on side of road , when I got there they were loading up a bear they shot. And gathering a couple dogs.

It took me a minute to get over there from gunshot til they loaded it. I suspect it was chased from my side of road/property to other side and they shot from the road, can't prove any of this other then time line of shot -[> loading bear.

Is this legal to do ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
my first question, was this a public road?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

my first question, was this a public road?
View Quote

Major 2 lane County road
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
regs

Looks like you must be 25 yards off the road.  And 500 feet from a building.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:50:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#5]
Trespassing and running hounds varies greatly from state to state.  Lots of states, if land is not posted in a specific way and it’s not agriculture...it’s not trespassing.  Other states you need written permission no matter what the circumstances.

Hunting dogs are all over the place as well. I sure if you called your DNR they could give you the correct answer in respect to your state.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By die-tryin:

Major 2 lane County road
View Quote

then most likely an illegal action.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
In Iowa you can hunt in the ditches between the road and the fence.  It is how most ditch chickens are shot anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
heard commotion out by the road, its a major county 2 lane road.

I heard a high powered rifle and pile of dogs barking and a caravan of trucks.  I go out and the truckes are parked on side of road , when I got there they were loading up a bear they shot. And gathering a couple dogs.

It took me a minute to get over there from gunshot til they loaded it. I suspect it was chased from my side of road/property to other side and they shot from the road, can't prove any of this other then time line of shot -[> loading bear.

Is this legal to do ?
View Quote

I’m upstate NY you must be 200 feet from a feeling or a road to fire a rifle or pistol.
Aside from that hunting should be fair chase in my opinion
Top Top