Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2024 10:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam]
We have had a few threads in the past, and I have enjoyed looking at what others come up with. I will start this go around with my very basic setups. I have everything needed for the radios in kits, so all I need is coax and and an antenna. I will be adding pics for 3 radios as I take them.
G90:
Attachment Attached File

X6100:
Attachment Attached File

G1M:
Attachment Attached File

Amp and tuner if I want more output:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have multiple options for antennas. Depending on location and how long I will be somewhere, as well as bands needed determines the choice.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually use this for POTA operations.  I like using Packtenna wires.  I keep the 100-watt Elecraft amp in my pack when 5 watts won’t work.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice setup. I normally use the G90 with a Xiegu amp for the shack. The other two go out portable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Wire antennas are cheap and easy to make. I can do quarter wave vertical, random wire, efhw, linked dipole, and whip vertical. I make the baluns and ununs, it isn't hard to do.
It all fits in a large shaving kit. The blue bag has radials set up with alligator clips.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple whip vertical antennas, I like them a lot. This is one of the cheap Chinese whips. It works great and is a steal for 30 bucks.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is my Xiegu G90 with two 10AH batteries in an Apache 4800 case. Not pictured is my REZ Recon 40 antenna or home made 40m EFHW antenna.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I really need to get back into the hobby.  I started working a new job about two years ago and haven’t made the time to get on the air.  I found this Henry literally a week before starting the new job and haven’t even used it yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Bumping btt for more kit ideas
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I have a couple whip vertical antennas, I like them a lot. This is one of the cheap Chinese whips. It works great and is a steal for 30 bucks.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/IMG_20240821_204656353_jpg-3303975.JPG
View Quote

Can you give details on this antenna? Brand? Bands? Etc? I’m looking into setting up a manpack
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Targus leather laptop bag. Probably 17w x 15d x 8h.

Two zippered sides to it plus a bunch of interior and exterior pockets.

In it is a 703+, a couple BP-228s plus charger, facilities for powering the 703+ from a 12v battery. A Venue 11 Pro plus charger and a Digimode4 interface. USB mouse and headset. Hand mic. A few alligator clip leads. A dipole from an Astro-D suitcase ensemble plus a random wire antenna from same. Various LDG baluns and ununs. Coax adapters for the feed systems.

The other "portable" setup is a full Cubic Astro-D plus accessories and a separate suitcase for the battery pack and charge controller. Was actually issued as a diplomatic set in the 80s.
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I ended up winning a Xiegu G90 when Radioddity had their 12 year anniversary raffle. So my next project is to use my Apache 5800 case and install the second G90 and a TYT TH-7800 in it for a mobile winlink setup. I want to design it so all I have to do is one the lid and connect the antennas to be on the air.
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 1:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowMule] [#12]
I mostly work with big stuff on tops of mountains.  I don't even own an HF radio, don't have a radio in a "go kit".  The ARES guys don't know what to think of me.
Half of my radio "kits" have engines attached to them.

handful of portables in my fleet, vp8000 (vhf/uhf/700/800, analog/p25/dmr) that does ham stuff too!

xpr7550 (uhf, analog/dmr, my tower/snowmobile radio)

then there's all the crazy microwave and ip radios I work with... 7550 on my harness, RSM on my shoulder.
The microwave stuff is the "invisible" part of the radio network - portables hit repeaters, but to cover wider areas, multiple repeaters need to talk to each other.  Microwaves do that.

I will actually do some ham stuff.

5550 in my pickup with handheld control head and mag mic clip.  Handful of old radios that I've retired, mostly XTS's or older Vikings.  VP8000 does everything that every handheld and mobile in this photo does...
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 1:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#13]
Originally Posted By enforcer5369:

Can you give details on this antenna? Brand? Bands? Etc? I’m looking into setting up a manpack
View Quote

Check out the "mystery antenna" thread. It has details on where we have been buying them. The antenna without the 40m coil will do 20m-6m. Add in the optional 40m coil, and it will do 40-6m.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Mysterious-Portable-Antenna/22-707373/
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 2:41:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#14]
Attachment Attached File

Everything except the battery is on a Z mount for a tripod camera. The radio, tuner, antenna mount flip up rest on the edge of the case for use. Then it all folds back into the case.

Attachment Attached File

This vertical looks like a WindRiver coil but it isnt, I made the coil

Attachment Attached File

In the case is a small 80-10m vertical and an 80m HWEF

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:
I really need to get back into the hobby.  I started working a new job about two years ago and haven’t made the time to get on the air.  I found this Henry literally a week before starting the new job and haven’t even used it yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_0129_jpeg-3304032.JPG
View Quote

That's a nice amp.
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 5:59:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#17]
I have found that a Yaesu 710 with portable zero rails fits perfectly in every pack I own made to carry the PRC-117G. Which is a lot of packs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 7:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#18]
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hooptie] [#19]
Here's my humble submission...

Youkits HB-1B 4-band QRP transciever - ARRL review about this rig
Radiowavz DX 40-10 OCF dipole antenna
"Custom" batteries I made from some old laptop 18650 cells I got for free from work
small CW key, the radio has a built in keyer, and various cabling to make it all work.

I've used it while camping a few times and it worked well.  The only real problem I had was it only transmits CW... and my morse code sucks

Assembled radio

All the various parts laid out.  I took the original power cable and cut it about 8 inches from the barrel connector.  Then I put Anderson PowerPole connectors on it.  I also put PowerPoles on the batteries, cigarette port cable, and original wall wart power supply.  This lets me power this from pretty much anything.  I also have a cable with PowerPoles one one end and alligator clips on the other, so I can hook it directly to a car battery if needed!

Everything packed up ready to go.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#20]

Check out the "mystery antenna" thread. It has details on where we have been buying them. The antenna without the 40m coil will do 20m-6m. Add in the optional 40m coil, and it will do 40-6m.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By enforcer5369:

Currently slaying 15/12/10m DX on it portable. Ground is super hard, used a mini sledge to.... Tap.... The spike in. Lol

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top