Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2024 11:07:52 AM EDT
I'd like to improve my rain barrel set-up for watering the garden.

Currently have a single drum on the corner of the garage that I dip out of with a 5 gal bucket.

Making some improvements, and would like to expand to 2-3 barrels. Ideally they will be plumbed together with spigots at the bottom for a garden hose.

I'm planning to pour a concrete pad for the barrels to sit on.

I'm sure you all have some tried and true ideas to share.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
In for ideas
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Topper1] [#2]
Poured the pad today. Cat walked in right after I put the deer tracks in it. I cut her some slack, she just had a litter today. We haven't found them yet.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Drum source?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're thinking up to three, why not jump to an IBC tote?

At least that's my plan when I put rain collection in eventually.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bric2000:
Drum source?
View Quote

if you don't have a source for plastic drums or totes. you could try garbage cans. yeah, yeah it can look a little white trashy. but they are surprisingly sturdy. the only one i have had that cracked was from me leaving it out through a few too many freeze thaw cycles with water in it. the cheap tire patch kit worked to repair it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:26:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#6]
Built a "stand" (44" high) out of pressure treated landscape 4x4 posts & lag bolts so water will flow from a tap spigot at the bottom.  

Makes irrigation a no brainier ( just open tap & water flows through the hose to a soaker or similar)  And very easy if I want to get a bucket of water.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]
also this might help someone to get started with an idea.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-Polyoxymethylene-Bulkhead-Union-With-Washer-Fitting-800479/207176307

there is a cheaper solution, lighter duty option at my local HD store in the plumbing section. but couldn't find it online.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bric2000:
Drum source?
View Quote

There are a lot of food grade and non food grade barrels available using a craigslist and facebook market search.

Prices vary but average around $15-$20
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Home Depot sells rain barrels if you want something decorative.  If you don’t care just go to nto.com and the sky is the limit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
Built a "stand" (44" high) out of pressure treated landscape 4x4 posts & lag bolts so water will flow from a tap spigot at the bottom.  

Makes irrigation a no brainier ( just open tap & water flows through the hose to a soaker or similar)  And very easy if I want to get a bucket of water.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

That's a good idea
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By brahm:
also this might help someone to get started with an idea.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-Polyoxymethylene-Bulkhead-Union-With-Washer-Fitting-800479/207176307

there is a cheaper solution, lighter duty option at my local HD store in the plumbing section. but couldn't find it online.
View Quote

Some of the barrels have removable tops that allow being able to reach the bottom and install fittings like that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
This is probably a dumb question but are you guys who have rain barrels draining them completely before freezing season? Or can they handle a freeze/thaw cycle with some water in them?

I've seen pictures of intricately plumbed multi barrels tied into a spouting system, but looks like a total pain in the ass to unhook yearly. Or maybe these are pictures of Florida man's rain barrel that never see a snowflake.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, you will want to plumb the barrels with unions or another way to get the water out before freezing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Are y'all collecting directly off the downspout, or do you get the same amount of water with some "open top" type setup?  Wife would like a rain barrel to collect water for her indoor plants.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#15]
In Va Beach I had one set up and used a downspout diverter.  This minimized the bugs getting into the barrel and breeding.

It worked fairly well for our gardens.  We got the barrel and kit through a program Va Beach offered that encouraged sustainable living.  The barrel was syrup for coffee flavoring.
Top Top