Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2019 10:56:28 PM EDT
Thank you for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDPDHunter22-250] [#1]
Our family has had and hunted English Setters for over 40 years.

Great hunters and an even better family dog.  Really great around kids and people and very loyal.

Hunting lines run from 35 lbs to 50-55 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Me and my Dad's favorite hunting brittany spaniel

Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:15:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scrum] [#3]
Springer spaniels are around 35-50 lbs and (in my limited experience with a few of them) good upland bird dogs.

Another one to look at is Tolling Retrievers, same size range as Springers but they punch way above their weight as retrievers for waterfowl too.  I've only known one and she was pretty laid back/reserved.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:20:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: myitinaw] [#4]
My neighbors had a smaller English type Pointer that was an absolute joy.
Docile, loyal, and he was a totally perfect kid-friendly dog.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Springer or English Setter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skich] [#6]
Here's another vote for English Setters. Great hunting dogs and even better family.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Llewellin Setter. All the heart of an English Setter just a bit smaller.  Good house dog if a bit wound up though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve hunted and owned English pointers. English setters Brittany’s and springers.
Each are unique in their own way.   The longer the hair, the more things like bird get stuck in them.  Some dogs retrieve, flush and pointers point.  I think any of the above make great family pets as they were my pets when I was a child.  I hunt and own an English pointer now.  Great dog.  Lots of energy likes to play.  Will retrieve a ball but won’t retrieve birds but that’s not his job.  He finds them, the rest is up to you.  My dog held a point for  20 minutes    He would not move.  I’m considering a second dog, I’m thinking about a second pointer but they are tall.  I’m also thinking about a Brittany
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#9]
our one Britney would get frustrated with non flushing birds and occasionally grab them

if they were slow on the jump, he sometimes pulled them out of the sky.

He would also grab and retrieve farm cats and groundhogs
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Boykin Spaniel
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Griffin, European bred female GSP (American lines are big) you can get 40-50 lb females, Brittany spaniel, and English setters.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#12]
In my experience, mellow and upland dogs do not go hand in hand. They need to work to some extent everyday to keep their sanity
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ReaperWaterfowl:
In my experience, mellow and upland dogs do not go hand in hand. They need to work to some extent everyday to keep their sanity
View Quote
Plus 1 on this.  Loving family dog but needs to be worked every day.  They'll repay you in love though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ReaperWaterfowl:
View Quote
Times 3.

My setter is one of those dogs that make you sometimes think they're human.   So very smart.  And moody, which is confused with stupidity.  The dog can hunt straight out of the box, and once past the puppy stage, is very docile in the house.    He sheds worse than my lab though, and if not exercised, resembles an over pressure boiler about about to let go.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#15]
How about a Beagle. They’ve been the go to dog for everything on land since God made land.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Coonhound? Lol. I actually watched mine track and flush a grouse on Easter weekend

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:45:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#17]
Small Munsterlander.  They seem to get good reviews.  I've never seen one personally.

Buddy of mine has a english pointer.  That dog is wonderful at finding pheasant in the thickest mass of brush and cattails.  She will not lower herself to retrieve though, we have to send my weims after downed birds.

Eta: re burrs and longhaired dogs.  I use Cowboy Magic on my longhaired Weim.  It still takes a bit after a day in the field to brush him out, but its much easier than if I don't use it.  Realy good stuff. Spray him the night before hunting and give him a good brush.  Makes the coat slick so it brushes out much easier and doesn't tangle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Many thanks for all of your great recommendations gentlemen. Looks like if things go as planned I will be bringing home a English Setter Brittney mix pup from a litter of a friends hunting buddy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Vizsla.  Smaller end of the pointing dogs.  Great hunters.  Absolute awesome family dogs.  They call them velcro dogs for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
Vizsla.  Smaller end of the pointing dogs.  Great hunters.  Absolute awesome family dogs.  They call them velcro dogs for a reason.
View Quote
No kidding, my wife has never been able to go to the bathroom alone since we got her.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Mellow and pheasants = lab

Top Top