Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: Yesterday 4:46:39 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with setting up a remote transceiver?  I'm considering my options with an IC-7300 and whatever hardware would let me use WFView, RemoteTx, or even the awful software Icom sells for remote ops.  

The trees on my 50 acres are all 300' or more from the house and I am 99% certain the wife would never go for antennas attached to the house or any towers in the yard.  Rather than run that much coax into the woods and under my concrete driveway, or building a shed in the woods and being a hermit when I operate, I'd prefer to remote the transceiver to the barn where there's AC mains, shelter from the elements and a very short run for coax to the good support trees, and then be able to operate from anywhere my laptop has internet, versus setting up a shack in the basement or an upstairs bedroom.  I'm a Mac user, not very client/server savvy and have never messed with a Pi or similar small computer modules.  I don't think I could pull this off without an Elmer or two looking over my shoulder.

I currently do 100% of my operating from my truck using an IC-7000 and Tarheel screwdriver, and from the armchair a Baofeng HT to hit the local repeater.  That needs to change.  

Wife #1 didn't much care how the house and yard looked, and let me set up a radio room and drape wires everywhere.  Current wife is an absolute keeper but very decor and image-conscious.  This is a fine line to tread, but as a recently retired and officially old guy, hamming is becoming more of a front-burner desire.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Look towards the end of my 7200 thread.

More experience than I want to admit with wfview and I've successfully remoted the 7200 with a tablet client.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Outline your prop or the inside of the treeline area with a Skyloop.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Using a 705 but works just like yours I think.

I use wfview all the time over wifi but only on local network not over internet.  

Works great? What do you want to know?
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prolix] [#4]
I plan to put up a horizontal 80m full wave loop for 80-10m.  Inside of that, in inverted L or a T at about 60' for 160m with elevated radials about 8-9' up off the forest floor.  

I don't have the 7300 yet, but it's clearly the next rig I will own.

RemoteTx (a subscription service) pretty much holds your hand through the setup of the Pi and connectivity with the internet, but wfview seems a little sparse on details.  I do like it better, as the RemoteTx waterfall view and even the basic control panel have a very spartan look that does not, IMO, make up for not having the rig right in front of you.

For those using WFview, was it hard to get running?  Any issues with using it over the web versus only on the household LAN?
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:
Look towards the end of my 7200 thread.

More experience than I want to admit with wfview and I've successfully remoted the 7200 with a tablet client.
View Quote

That was interesting reading - thanks.  You seem like just the sort of person I'd want coaching me through the thousand steps to success here, but we're probably 300 miles apart.

Is there a solid source of information and guidance online for someone who has never touched a Raspberry Pi or coded in Linux (or in BasicA since 1983!) and panics when his fiber router needs resetting after a power flicker?  Because that's me.  Point me to a step by step beginning at zero, and I can muddle through it.   Otherwise, I'm probably kidding myself that it will ever happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top