Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2024 2:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
First, a decent review with pix: HERE

Also, an (archived) review of very similar SOG Powerpint HERE

My added comments to Powerlitre review linked above:

1) Many folks on Youtube are modding these tools.  Some mods may make sense, others perhaps not.  Search YouTube for "Powerpint" and "Powerlitre" mods.

2) While corkscrew on Powerlitre adds to bulk, nothing else will do for that specific purpose.  Swiss Army "tiny" screwdriver can be modded to fit.  There is a fold-out "leg" on the Powerlitre intended to be used as a lever in conjunction with the corkscrew; Poorly explained in the instructions, but specifically mentioned.  Not mentioned by above reviewer.

3) The toothed locking feature on the Powerlitre is extremely useful in that it prevents inadvertent loss of bits.  It locks the bits into place and allows user to concentrate on the task instead of dividing their attention.  This simple device radically alters the usefulness of the tool when using bits.  IMHO, a Genius move, and should be incorporated into other similar tools.

4) These tools are often available for nearly 1/2 price on AliExpress.  Some say the AliExpress tools are "seconds" but my personal experience (sample of One), compared to my Powerpint bought from SOG, says that my Powerlitre tool is identical in quality/materials/fit/finish as can be.  YMMV.

5) All these tools will benefit from cleaning/lubing and some "break-in" use.  Having the proper implements/tools to carefully adjust the "pivot points" on these tools is essential to adjust these tools for long-term use.

6) Some folks introduce a small magnet to keep the Legs of the tool from opening if tool is in one's pants pocket.  That's true, but strongly suggest measuring the gap between the legs of the tool before ordering any such magnets.  Gaps can vary.  Add-on magnets may need to be removed in order to effectively use the toothed clamping mechanism.

7) While these small tools are fine for pants-pocket carry, I'm looking around for nylon pouches suitable for horizontal belt carry.  Will report back once received and tested.  Maybe I'll need to make some.

8) All multitools can benefit from introducing contrasting colored paint into ruler markings and so forth, especially the black-finished units.  It's impossible to use what you can't see.  Some folks use paint sticks, some use fingernail polish.

To sum, the Powerlitre is an excellent small multitool within its' price/size class.  The toothed "gripper" transforms the tool when using tool bits.

Disclaimer: NO financial interest.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
For me a multi tool has to do 2 things really well. It has to be pliers and a knife. Everything else comes second.

How is the knife?

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 3:15:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rDigital:
For me a multi tool has to do 2 things really well. It has to be pliers and a knife. Everything else comes second.

How is the knife?

View Quote
Short, as with similar multitools:  1-15/16" from tip to bolster.  "Wharncliffe" profile.  "Full Flat Grind".  "Decently" sharp from the factory, but skilled folks can do better--as with most blades.  Locks.  Decent position on knife body allows nearly full use of blade while cutting on a flat surface.  Easy access thumb slot, but no single-handed opening.

@rDigital

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]

How is the knife?
View Quote

Ironically, the knife blade is the one thing I really don't care about (or at least don't unless the multitool is my only "knife").

So, I have both the PowerPint and the PowerLiter. I prefer the functionality of the PowerPint more, but the PowerLiter is the primary tool were our coffee and wine/alcohol bar is located (and yes, the corkscrew works as advertise!). The Wharncliffe profile blade actually is pretty darn good. I open a lot of bottles, tear open heavy foil packets of coffee, etc. It's a small blade, but easy to touch up and maintain the edge.

I'm still very pleased with the pliers and additional tools (especially on the PowerPint). I'm not stressing them too hard, but for light tasks and minor problems, they've come in real handy. This isn't a multitool to make a hundred cuts of hardened wire or try and grip and remove a rust-frozen 1/2" nut. There value is their size and weight for handling a lot of smaller tasks. Of note, my work location restricts blades over 2.5", so both of these are good, "restrictive workplace" multitools.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, due to their small size, these tools are OK for "pocket carry", although I prefer a horizontal pouch on belt.

User has to keep in mind the limitations imposed on the tools due to their size.  May be OK for some, not so much for others.

Any tool you have with you is better than the one left at home. These little guys "punch above their weight", but there are limits.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By raf:
Yes, due to their small size, these tools are OK for "pocket carry", although I prefer a horizontal pouch on belt.

User has to keep in mind the limitations imposed on the tools due to their size.  May be OK for some, not so much for others.

Any tool you have with you is better than the one left at home. These little guys "punch above their weight", but there are limits.
View Quote

Can't remember where I found them, but they're a double layer, heavy elastic nylon sleeve for carrying smaller magazines horizontally on your belt (P365, Ruger LCP Max, single stack 9mm, etc.) and they would be perfect for horizontal carry for a multitool of this size. I'll see if I can dig one up and check the fitment...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:10:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#6]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Can't remember where I found them, but they're a double layer, heavy elastic nylon sleeve for carrying smaller magazines horizontally on your belt (P365, Ruger LCP Max, single stack 9mm, etc.) and they would be perfect for horizontal carry for a multitool of this size. I'll see if I can dig one up and check the fitment...

ROCK6
View Quote
Looking forward to it!

ETA:  Found some!  HERE   Both the Powerpint, the Powerlitre, and a number of small flashlights and pocketknives fit.  The "key" is having enough velcro on the body to allow the lid to be fully closed and securely fastened, which prevents contents from falling out.  Items with pocket clips can also be clipped to the pouch, further deterring possible loss.  Thanks for the idea!
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:39:19 AM EDT
[#7]

How is the knife?

View Quote

For me it's pliers, then screw drivers, then I use the saw surprisingly frequently.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AASG:

For me it's pliers, then screw drivers, then I use the saw surprisingly frequently.
View Quote
PowerPint and PowerLiter pliers are of non-replaceable cutter type.  It is what is at this price point.

It may be possible for some users, with appropriate tools to re-sharpen pliers cutting edges.

"Grippage" of the pliers will be based on the small size of plier's jaws and plier's handles.

It's a small tool; use it within its's limits.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AASG:

View Quote

what are you using a saw for all the time?
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By raf:
Short, as with similar multitools:  1-15/16" from tip to bolster.  "Wharncliffe" profile.  "Full Flat Grind".  "Decently" sharp from the factory, but skilled folks can do better--as with most blades.  Locks.  Decent position on knife body allows nearly full use of blade while cutting on a flat surface.  Easy access thumb slot, but no single-handed opening.

@rDigital

View Quote

Wharncliffe is great on a small blade. Like having a built in stanley knife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top