Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2024 8:04:33 PM EDT
How do they work? I know sign up, bid and hope you win but what else is involved? I assume you have to get yourself there one way or another but what other things have to be planned out and what other expenses are involved?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the details before you bid.

Is transport to and from the airport included?

VAT and other taxes included?

Open bar or by the drink?

How many hunters in camp at once? Will you be there solo or as part of a large group?

Price list for additional animals hunted.

Look at the cost ih their site if the animals and daily rates and see what it all adds up to before you bud.

Just off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Often a bit of bait and switch.

They make up the $$ by overcharging on additional days and animals.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It absolutely can be this.

They can also have perfectly fair daily rates and competitive trophy fees.

Many are just hoping you:

A: shoot extra game so they make a little money instead of just breaking even.

B: They are hoping you have such a great experience that you come back with them again in a couple of years.

Not every PH is out there to skin people.

I have a friend who a couple of times has bought an auction hunt and added additional animals. Last time he did this he bought a 7 day hunt and added Sable, Topi, Klipspringer, chances upon a huge Bushbuck. So he made out quite nicely and saved several thousand in daily rates.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a safari through auction at a Friends on NRA dinner in 2019 with Numzaan Safaris.   It was $1,000 for 4 hunters.   And they gave every hunter $500 credit towards trophy fees.   It required shooting a minimum of 2 animals.   We were there with a group that just wanted to experience Africa, and some of them just shot the 2 cheapest animals. (impala and warthog.)  The impala was essentially free with the trophy credit.   With airfare, tips, and shipping stuff home,  if you shoot the minimum,  It cost about $3,000 a person total.  

Prices have gone up some since then.   Airfare has gone up,  animal prices have gone up some,  but you could probably still do a basic hunt for $4,500-5,000/ person.   If you want to shoot extra animals,  the price just goes up from there.  

I actually bought the same safari at another banquet last year and am going again in June.  Hoping to get a kudu this time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By extractr:
I purchased a safari through auction at a Friends on NRA dinner in 2019 with Numzaan Safaris.   It was $1,000 for 4 hunters.   And they gave every hunter $500 credit towards trophy fees.   It required shooting a minimum of 2 animals.   We were there with a group that just wanted to experience Africa, and some of them just shot the 2 cheapest animals. (impala and warthog.)  The impala was essentially free with the trophy credit.   With airfare, tips, and shipping stuff home,  if you shoot the minimum,  It cost about $3,000 a person total.  

Prices have gone up some since then.   Airfare has gone up,  animal prices have gone up some,  but you could probably still do a basic hunt for $4,500-5,000/ person.   If you want to shoot extra animals,  the price just goes up from there.  

I actually bought the same safari at another banquet last year and am going again in June.  Hoping to get a kudu this time.
View Quote

Give my regards to Johan! I hunted with Numzaan 2 years ago, chatted with him in Nashville at the SCI convention. Good outfit run by good people, if you get to choose your PH look for Naudea (sounds like "Naughty-a") or Big Frank.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Give my regards to Johan! I hunted with Numzaan 2 years ago, chatted with him in Nashville at the SCI convention. Good outfit run by good people, if you get to choose your PH look for Naudea (sounds like "Naughty-a") or Big Frank.
View Quote

Naudea was one of the PHs for the group we were with last time.  He was a good guy,  and his little dog tracked down wounded game pretty quickly.  

My PH last time was Wynand.  He was awesome,  but is not guiding anymore.
Top Top