Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2023 2:35:00 PM EDT
I recently zero'ed my 6.5CM rifle at 100 yards.  I plugged my data into Hornady's ballistic calculator 4DOF (pictured below).  Just want to confirm I'm interpreting this correctly.  

Attachment Attached File

1) "Come up (moa)" that is how many MOA I need to dail up in my scope to hit at that distance, correct?

2) If that's correct, when 4DOF says I need to dial 1.98MOA in my scope to hit at 200, and my scope is .25moa adjustments(clicks), that would mean 8 clicks up right? 2MOA=8clicks right?  

3) If the above assumptions are correct, when 4DOF gives me a measurement like 4.65MOA at 300 yards, since my adjustments are in .25MOA the closest I could get is 4.5MOA or 4.75MOA correct?

4) Lastly, just confirming all the above, my scope zeroed at 100yrds is at 6.5MOA, so to go up to 200, I'd dial 2MOA/8clicks up to 8.5MOA, correct?

-I realize this calculator will get me in the ballpark and is not a replacement for actual dope.  Just want to make sure my above assumptions are correct.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
First, shoot over a chronograph and get a real world velocity at the muzzle.  

Then plug it into the ballistic calculator.

Then shoot at distance and verify your come-ups.

Even if you don't have a chronograph, shooting at 3-400 with your 100 yards zero will tell you what your muzzle velocity is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
You seem to understand it correctly and your figures are matching what the chart is saying.

A chronograph will dial it in better but without one its best to verify dope at a different ranges.

Most scopes have zeroable turrets so you can set the markings to zero so when the come up is 6.5moa you simply turn the turret to 6.5. Also helps to keep track of zero and not having to remember its +2 or whatever.
Top Top