Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2022 9:46:24 AM EDT
I decided to resume fly fishing for panfish after several decades off and being frugal (cheap), I also decided to use my old rod and reel with which I had some successes in those days. Also decided to give the reel a cleaning which turned out to be a questionable decision. You see, after carefully disassembling the works and cleaning, re-lubing, etc., I found I did not know the "magic trick" to rewind the drive spring--yes, even after carefully reading the instructions. I've tried a couple of ways and haven't yet figgered' it out. Anybody having success doing this, please let me know or, perhaps you know of a website or maybe a repair shop that might be able to do the "trick." As I live by the Big Lake in SW MI, a recommendation for a repair guy in this region would also be appreciated. Couple of photos of the reel and sadly, the sprung spring.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
After going to a couple of vintage fishing sites and then experimenting with a couple of different techniques for gripping the drive spring while winding it and at the same time holding the green cap, I found the "magic trick" and got the drive spring inside the green cap. Had to diddle with the drive gears a couple of times, but it works just as it did a few decades ago. Now, almost ready to get my daily limit of gills!
Top Top