Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2023 7:36:58 PM EDT
First off. If this has been done. Sorry. Please post your favorite recipes. Let’s sure the arfcom knowledge.

One of my favorites.

Making pulled pork at home ahead of time. (Crock pot, slow cooker, smoker or what ever method you prefer) and shred and sauce it. Place in sealed container. At campsite. Make into a patty. Preheat cooking oil in camp Dutch oven in the fire. Place in a few bbq pork disks. Flip after a couple minutes. Then pull and put on a paper towel to drain grease for a moment. Put on bun and add whatever you like. Coleslaw. Lettuce. Spicy pickles. Whatever. I prefer a smearing of Dijon mixed with Chinese mustard. (Standard condiment in NachoDip house).

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
We eat fairly simply when we camp but have a few staples.  

We enjoy "hobo" foil-wrapped meals cooked on coals. Firewood is a little unreliable where we camp so I always bring charcoal just in case.

Hawaiian - thick ham slice, slices of sweet potato, pineapple ring, plus a little brown sugar and butter.
Hamburger - 4oz ground beef patty, slices of potato, slices of onion, and a ~teaspoon of onion soup mix.

We also freeze in advance browned meat, onion, and chili spices to reheat with a couple of cans of beans.  This is very flexible as it is easily extended with extra cans of beans, pasta, or rice.  Any leftovers are great with eggs for a breakfast.

We always have corn muffin mix to use for johnny cakes (cornmeal pancakes).  Hash and eggs have become somewhat complicated as I can't seem to find canned hash without trans-fats so we use a frozen hash.

Our rainy night meal is ravioli and broccoli ~ minimal prep and just boiling water to cook.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Fresh Axis "back strap". Hot grease with potato chip thin slices of back strap lightly salted and cooked in the grease until it is LIGHTLY browned.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm usually hiking in so a bit more focused on weight/space some favorites are:

Dehydrated vegetable stew mix, chicken bullion power, 1 min rice, scoop of sugar, tru lemon powered, cornstarch, dehydrated chicken, onion and garlic powder, white pepper, parsely, tyme and weather depending a scope of lard or powered butter .. just add water. Much nicer than the pre-made mountain garbage packed with salt and msg.  One of those little plastic bottles of white wine can go in too for a nice savory flavor.  I pack it all into a mylar bag.

Scrambled eggs in a water bottle, can be frozen or not weather dependent.  Can use for breakfast or drizzled into boiling soup for extra protein.

Biscuit dough twisted around a good sized stick and cooked like a marshmallow. I use lard to fortify the bread, powered tru lemon and a plant based pea milk - the pea milk don't spoil as fast as cow milk.  You can freeze the dough as well.

Frozen pasties in foil, I microwave the rutabaga, potatoes, carrots before baking with uncooked cut up skirt steak garlic and onion with powered Worcester sause and anchovie powder to minimize the soggy bottoms.  Can reheat in a covered pan or near the fire.

Homemade jerky and homemade trail mix.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
We usually car camp with our troop.

Foil packet meal with sliced kielbasa or other similar sausage. Diced frozen hashbrowns. Diced bell pepper and onions. Cubed or shredded cheese. Seasoning of choice. Wrap tight and put in the coals until the potatoes are done.

Ziploc bag omelets are popular as it reduces dishes to wash but increases trash. Carton of egg beaters is a plus when cooking for a group.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
A simple, single pan meal I discovered on Youtube I think is pretty good.
Makes two servings (or one large serving).

5.3 ounces of uncased sausage (1 lb Hatfield “Essentials” cut into 3 equal sections = 5.3 oz each)
Italian potato gnocchi
Broccoli
Alfredo sauce, approx. ½ of a 15 oz jar
Water

In an 8” cast iron pan
Chop the sausage into bits while frying in the pan
Add about 1 and a half cup of water (more or less)
Bring to a boil
Add the broccoli and the gnocchi
Bring this all to a boil
Add the Alfredo sauce
With gentle stirring, simmer until thickened

Done
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on how long im camping,

If just several days its just loaf bread, bologna & cheese sandwich and a bag of Cheetos, and coffee pot.

Longer camp will be cast iron skillet, dutch oven and coffee pot.

Dozen or more eggs, or powdered eggs, 5lbs taters, 2lbs bacon or sausage, 3 to 5lbs flour for biscuits or bannock bread and gravy, 2lbs pinto beans, few lbs of beef.

If i got to hike in/carry gear in. Then its just dry goods and a coffee pot
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Fritos and chili.
Top Top