Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2021 7:21:38 PM EDT
Had a great day fishing the other weekend.  Chasing large schools of nice sized spanish mackerel pushing glass minnows. Sight casting to them with both flies and casting spoons.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like fun and fresh Spanish Mackerel are great eating to boot!

What size rod and what type of line?

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#2]
8wt rod.  I use a floating warmwater line with a 10 foot sink tip/shooting head.  The shooting tip is essential for fishing for fast blitzing fish because of how fast i have to strip the fly and still keep it subsurface.  

I like a two handed strip especially if i have my basket.  Even a two handed strip isn’t fast enough sometimes.  It is easier to get away with a single hand strip on Albies but not Spanish,
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:07:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave15] [#4]
Nice!
Have only dragged Clark spoons for them, behind a planer.
Effective, but your way looks fun!

Fresh filet, soak in Italian dressing for an hour, then on the grill!!!

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#5]
What spoons were you using? Kastmasters? If you know the color and weight that would be appreciated as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LV1976:
What spoons were you using? Kastmasters? If you know the color and weight that would be appreciated as well.
View Quote

@LV1976

They aren’t spoons in the traditional sense.  They are made of lead and are slightly bent and flared at the end which causes them to wobble when reeled at a steady speed.  They are coated multiple times in various colors and have a single treble hook on the end.  

Dark green/white, pink/white, gold/white are top performers in order with clear water.  Dirty water gold and pink are top.  

They cast great.  Ive caught spanish casting from beach with them.  

We can’t remember the name and when we did there was nothing about them online.  They are made by a small company in NC and we have only seen them at one tackle store we drive over an hour to.  We buy a seasons worth once a year.  I’ll pm you when we get em this year and tell you the name.’
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bandhunter:

@LV1976

They aren’t spoons in the traditional sense.  They are made of lead and are slightly bent and flared at the end which causes them to wobble when reeled at a steady speed.  They are coated multiple times in various colors and have a single treble hook on the end.  

Dark green/white, pink/white, gold/white are top performers in order with clear water.  Dirty water gold and pink are top.  

We can’t remember the name and when we did there was nothing about them online.  They are made by a small company in NC and we have only seen them at one tackle store we drive over an hour to.  We buy a seasons worth once a year.  I’ll pm you when we get em this year and tell you the name.’
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bandhunter:
Originally Posted By LV1976:

@LV1976

@Bandhunter

Thank you, that's very kind.  Merry Christmas and tight lines!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
That would be some serious fun right there..
Top Top