BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: turtle2472] [#2]
I might just have to start a fungus thread.  In the mean time.... here is how our basement cultivation is doing:

That is our Pink Oysterling.  It just started fruiting a few days ago at most.  It wasn't "started" until a little more than a week ago IIRC.  The baskets are from a dollar store and filled with chopped straw from Tractor Supply.  Spawn is mixed in layers of straw.  Each basket is misted most evenings.

The question about termites, it hasn't been a problem yet.  We have the logs all up on treated lumber (mostly cull cart waste from Home Depot, ie cheap or free) but also diligence in keeping an eye on them.

The logs are all from a red oak we had to take out.  There are a few logs from last year that aren't oak, but I don't recall what they actually are.

Our stash of logs are mostly under a poplar, but also on the north west facing slope.  This means they pretty much stay shaded all day.  Woods to our west keep the sun from baking then in the late evening.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I planted some trees at my place back on March 2nd.  Two pecans and a sawtooth oak I got from the local soil and water conservation group.  Should they have sprouted by now?  The big pecan I have out here already has a bunch of leaves on it.  I've been watering them regularly and we've had a few good rains since then.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mPisi:
If you see an owl on Christmas, it's good luck for the whole year right?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13081/IMG_0009_JPG-3078549.JPG
View Quote

I am saving all these pics by the nicknames I'm giving them.  There was the Christmas Owl and the Winter King Coyote.
Now it's the Easter Buzzard's turn!  He's late for Easter, like buzzards are always late to the party.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:34:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:02:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I wouldn't give up on them yet.

Were they bare-root trees?
i
Sometimes it takes a while for the bare-root plants to absorb enough water to form enough new roots (the roots that actually take up stuff are pretty much destroyed when they are dug and replanted) to begin activity.

That said, did you plant them immediately?  Were they very dried out?  Dried out is not good.

ETA:  I will ask/say this for anyone who might need to know...since I don't know your knowledge or experience at all, this is not suggesting you did anything incorrectly, but somebody else might see it and benefit.  Did you plant them at the right depth?

Planting baby trees (or any woody plant), we need to be careful how deep we plant.   It's pretty important to plant a-where the soil has good drainage, depending on the type of tree and b)-not to plant too deeply, as roots actually do need air.
View Quote

They were bare root trees.  I soaked them in a bucket of water for a few hours before I planted them.  Found a website from a university that had a great guide to planting the pecans.  Didn't read up much on the oak, but I think I did it right.  I was expecting them to put on leaves quickly, but maybe that was unrealistic.  I'll keep watering them and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
That sucks!  My 140 lbs worthless lab finally did a good deed. We have 6x chickens we got back in Feb that are still juvenile and about half grown wife let them all out to free range a bit and the older hens started making a commotion. Looked out to see a hawk standing on top of one of our new olive eggers. Lab went tearing across the yard barking and it took off, letting go of the chicken. It lost some feathers but nothing appears broken and she has been acting normal the past week. We don’t have any roosters but may change that soon. We are about to move the coop into the goat pasture where there is no overhead cover. Their current run is enclosed. Still debating that move. Living in the woods up on the mountain has introduced a bunch of predators.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
That sucks!  My 140 lbs worthless lab finally did a good deed. We have 6x chickens we got back in Feb that are still juvenile and about half grown wife let them all out to free range a bit and the older hens started making a commotion. Looked out to see a hawk standing on top of one of our new olive eggers. Lab went tearing across the yard barking and it took off, letting go of the chicken. It lost some feathers but nothing appears broken and she has been acting normal the past week. We don’t have any roosters but may change that soon. We are about to move the coop into the goat pasture where there is no overhead cover. Their current run is enclosed. Still debating that move. Living in the woods up on the mountain has introduced a bunch of predators.
View Quote

I take masonry twine and weave a net (of sorts) above our run (more of a yard). I pounded nails into the tops of my 4X4 fence posts and tie it off to the first one, then just walk across the yard to the opposite post, pull it tight end with a couple wraps, then head over the the next one, opposite, continuing till it's all done. My posts are 6' tall, so at 5'9" I can walk under it w/no problem. The openings vary as it's not perfect, but it intimidates the raptors.

When I first did it (needs replacing every year), I also hung strips of orange flagging in places from it, but I don't think it's necessary. I haven't used it the last two years and we've been fine.

Good luck! And sorry 'bout your bird.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ll admit I did not search for this but figured I would ask, is there a home brew thread or general fermentation thread?

I just started another batch of wine and figured I could share the details.  

For general fermentation, I’m looking to get into making my own apple cider vinegar. Curious if anyone else has or even familiar with the process.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:14:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#18]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm....  those places are dead.  The home brew sub is mostly beer as you noted.  The wine sub is about the store bought stuff from what I'm seeing.  I've not seen anything about making your own.  Yeah I could start a thread in there but it still doesn't seem to "fit in" there.

Keeping a thread alive weekly here in homestead doesn't seem like something I would actually do either.  Maybe.  My wife and I are more and more getting into real homesteading on our property.  We even started talking about chickens again.  I don't recall, but I think we are up to 40 or so fruit trees on the property now.  Many are multi-graft.

Of course I've posted in here about our mushroom empire.  We have so many mushrooms of the oyster varieties right now.  The Shiitakes are going to take longer of course.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Haven't posted here in a while so here's something.
My girlfriends daughter was raising a new chicken for us until it was ready to be integrated in the coop.
Well, they killed it within two days of putting it in with my other three.
Poor little chicken...
So I guess I'll have to wait until the current ones slow down on their laying and just get a batch of new ones that
can grow up together and establish the literal pecking order.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:23:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#25]
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

How did you introduce it to the flock? I always did it where they were still separated by chicken wire/hardware cloth, so they could adjust a bit before getting actual contact.
View Quote
I just put the little one in there and that was that.
I have an "addition" chicken run section that I could separate them next time if needed and I'll go that route.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
I just put the little one in there and that was that.
I have an "addition" chicken run section that I could separate them next time if needed and I'll go that route.
View Quote

Yep. Live and learn.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: Today 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I would say to you, raise at least three new ones at a time.  The more the better.

Make sure the "introduction" run section is actually where the old chickens and new chickens can interact, but not hurt each other.   Like "the new ones are here, with us, but we can't actually peck them much."

I have actually started watching yard sales and marketplace for wire dog crates (big ones) for cheap.  They are useful as quarantine pens for a sick chicken you need to get out of the flock, and they make GREAT introduction pens.

View Quote
The chicken run is two separate areas with about a 2'x2' opening that I left in there without chicken wire.
So I could just put the little ones in that section and just temporarily put up some plywood or something so there would be chicken wire
keeping them from getting pecked.
I think next spring I'll get some chicks from the local farm store and try it that way.
I have all the stuff except for a heat lamp but I could raise them in the house or a ventilated shed until they get feathers and then put them in the separated run area.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top