Are these any good..???
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 8:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#1]
Inb4 “just a Baofeng in a fancy case.”

Yes. They’re good.

Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#2]
Damn. Missed it by that much...

I think the main advantage is that they can work with milspec audio. Or at least modded to do it fairly easily.

On the radio end, no not that great but good enough for many.

The real question should be is it worth 300 for you. A 20 dollar baofeng or 100 dollar yaesu will work as well or better but will be more difficult to interface with mil spec audio (doable though).
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, there’s a 20-page thread on the TRI radios over at TOS.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:
OP, there’s a 20-page thread on the TRI radios over at TOS.
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Inb4 "just a Baofeng in a fancy case."

Yes. They're good.

https://i.ibb.co/1r5MMW7/50250010-3160-4-D22-9-CBE-EFF29898-D751.jpg
View Quote
How are the newer models that do 10m working in that band?  I assume it's only FM, or do they do AM/side band?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XxSLASHERxX] [#6]
Linking to, or promoting other firearms related websites not allowed

Originally Posted By dreiwhit:

Link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dreiwhit:

Link?
Mine are the older versions of the newest version of that makes sense. I don’t have the 10m band on mine.

Originally Posted By D_Man:
How are the newer models that do 10m working in that band?  I assume it's only FM, or do they do AM/side band?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Outlander thanks for the info
What about the 152H?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]
TRI supposedly was going to release the 152 with 10m FM, but to the best of my knowledge this has not happened yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:43:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#10]
The least they could do is use some old bootleg moto or thales rf board that uses p25 so you do something useful with it. Even Dork star would be nice. But no, you pay 300 bucks for shitbox 20 dollar radio in a nicer case with a knockoff out of spec audio connector that can be modded to work with the real deal. Or you buy some shitbox knockoff peltors for plug n play to work with it so they can profit more.

But hey its your bux.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#11]
They work out of the box with either electret or dynamic mics. A friend of mine on TOS shot his with a .22 and it’s still working.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:19:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amediocreshooter] [#12]
They work out of the box with either electret or dynamic mics. A friend of mine on TOS shot his with a .22 and it’s still working.
View Quote
It was a TRI PRC-148.

And it was shot it with a Glock 19. Screen acts up sometimes but otherwise is fine. Might not be waterproof anymore. Wish I could find the video.

Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL! Dude I laughed so hard when you did that. And then I cried a little bit inside.

Originally Posted By amediocreshooter:

It was a TRI PRC-148.

And it was shot it with a Glock 19. Screen acts up sometimes but otherwise is fine. Might not be waterproof anymore. Wish I could find the video.

https://i.imgur.com/FAminEH.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
LOL! Dude I laughed so hard when you did that. And then I cried a little bit inside.
View Quote
Oh I forgot to add that the speaker does not work.

I have to use a trucker mic or hook it up to my peltors.

However that was 3 years ago and it’s still working. I’m impressed.

Hoping some “It’s just a baofeng” faggots show up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:35:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#15]
The TRI’s are also full-duplex, which is helpful when I’m trying to hot a bird. My other HTs are absolutely NOT.

Oh I forgot to add that the speaker does not work.

I have to use a trucker mic or hook it up to my peltors.

However that was 3 years ago and it’s still working. I’m impressed.

Hoping some “It’s just a baofeng” faggots show up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Inb4 “just a Baofeng in a fancy case.”

Yes. They’re good.

https://i.ibb.co/1r5MMW7/50250010-3160-4-D22-9-CBE-EFF29898-D751.jpg
View Quote
So whats the radio on the right?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

So whats the radio on the right?
View Quote
Looks like an ICOM D-Star HT, ID-51 mayhaps?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:09:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OutlanderSystems] [#18]
Good eye. It's an ID-51.

Looks like an ICOM D-Star HT, ID-51 mayhaps?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
They are cursed with weak, tinny audio from their speakers.  To make them sound properly robust you'll want to replace that speaker with a good one,
I recommend taking one from a readily available and cheap used Motorola XTS5000 front cover kit. Some modifications will be required to make it fit but
I've done it and it fit perfectly after those mods.   And now you have plenty of space in the case to add a small EQ circuit and more robust (1 watt) audio
power amp chip.

Programming is phenomenally convoluted. (For the older version I know, anyway.)   Supposedly they can be programmed via a PC with an appropriate cable
and the appropriate software but I've never encountered any information that told me where to get that.

I'd like to think the newer version is much improved.  Not about to spend the money to find out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Good eye. It's an ID-51.
View Quote
Is that mine?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MirrorMirror:
They are cursed with weak, tinny audio from their speakers.  To make them sound properly robust you'll want to replace that speaker with a good one,
I recommend taking one from a readily available and cheap used Motorola XTS5000 front cover kit. Some modifications will be required to make it fit but
I've done it and it fit perfectly after those mods.   And now you have plenty of space in the case to add a small EQ circuit and more robust (1 watt) audio
power amp chip.

Programming is phenomenally convoluted. (For the older version I know, anyway.)   Supposedly they can be programmed via a PC with an appropriate cable
and the appropriate software but I've never encountered any information that told me where to get that.

I'd like to think the newer version is much improved.  Not about to spend the money to find out.
View Quote
Funny thing is the real ones have weak speaker audio as well. I think they are assuming audio accessory use and the water proof requirement necessitates the little crappy mylar speakers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#22]
where can one acquire one of these radios?
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mylt1:
where can one acquire one of these radios?
View Quote
Airsoft shops or Ebay seem to be the main sources, both likely shipping out of China.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Airsoft shops or Ebay seem to be the main sources, both likely shipping out of China.
View Quote
so i take it the radio isnt type accepted for anything more than the amateur bands then.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Good eye. It's an ID-51.
View Quote
So does the tri do dstar?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

So does the tri do dstar?
View Quote
Analog FM only, definitely no digital modes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#27]
So in that posted pic. I see other online TRI 148s that look to have a totally different LCD readout. Whats up with that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Get one while you can.   Because eventually the FCC and the Customs Dept. is going to do to them what happened to the Baofeng radios.

They're capable of transmitting outside the amateur bands and don't have FCC type acceptance.   They're only brought in in small numbers and
have so far managed to stay under the FCC's radar,  but it's possible that won't last forever.

For reference, the cost of a REAL Harris AN/PRC-152 or one of its close relatives that doesn't have Type 1 encryption is around 15 grand.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone have a link to a reputable seller that has the newest version and one that accepts the military connectors?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
Anyone have a link to a reputable seller that has the newest version and one that accepts the military connectors?
View Quote
If you check EE and ebay, a lot of dudes ended up with "extra" accessories that pop up from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Don’t do it dude. I was told by members here they’re just  Baofengs in fancy cases.

Originally Posted By chR15:

Link doesn't work, I searched but there are like 20 listings. 10 watts and HF are making about to sell my Motorolas and accs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#34]
FWIW I am not super savvy on non normie radios and I feel like I could hammer nails and/or bludgeon a person with this thing if need be and it picks up smooth jazz and 80s soul.

I honestly could not think of anything else in that price range that tops it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Discolite:
FWIW I am not super savvy on non normie radios and I feel like I could hammer nails and/or bludgeon a person with this thing if need be and it picks up smooth jazz and 80s soul.

View All Quotes

What sorta battery life are you getting?

Don’t do it dude. I was told by members here they’re just  Baofengs in fancy cases.

Link doesn't work, I searched but there are like 20 listings. 10 watts and HF are making about to sell my Motorolas and accs.
They pretty much are.  They are also dual band...well...Tri band and can take packs with cr123s, AA, or 18650s.  Plus, well, it has the neat factor and I prob won't sell all my XTS5000's.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm being a shit.

That said, the HF portion doesn't exist on any of the current offerings yet, that I know of.

The battery life is out of control good. Standby time of days. They have Superhet receivers, true full-duplexing and cross-band repeating.

They pretty much are.  They are also dual band...well...Tri band and can take packs with cr123s, AA, or 18650s.  Plus, well, it has the neat factor and I prob won't sell all my XTS5000's.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm being a shit.

That said, the HF portion doesn't exist on any of the current offerings yet, that I know of.

The battery life is out of control good. Standby time of days. They have Superhet receivers, true full-duplexing and cross-band repeating.

View All Quotes
I'm being a shit.

Ah, no worries bubba , you aren't helping my wallet.  My XTS5000's get good battery life, but not compared to some ham equipment that is smaller and much easier to program.  I have been slowly moving to 18650 / cr123s and rechargables as well for flashlights and getting the battery boxes won't hurt my feelings in buying a shit ton of 18650s.  As far as the 10m goes, I've seen multiple people state it in various threads that there is a newer version with this feature, but it isn't mentioned in the docs. , I'm still looking for link(s) to the exact radio(s) in question (mentioned as the "UVH" model? Plus there is an orange model, wtf), good battery replacements and good antenna replacements (vhf/uhf, HF for the 10m).  I saw a programming cable somewhere which would be really nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm being a shit.

View All Quotes
I'm being a shit.

How is your other project going?  I was looking for a screen for it and really couldn't find anything that looked like it was in the form factor you're making.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
Im curious about the 117 😂

https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/tri-instrument-prc-117g-versatile-two-stage-fm-radio.html
View Quote
Good luck. I've been looking, and asking vendors, for one for at least a month. They are discontinued.

If you find one in stock, post the link!
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Good luck. I've been looking, and asking vendors, for one for at least a month. They are discontinued.

View All Quotes

https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/tri-instrument-prc-117g-versatile-two-stage-fm-radio.html

Says they’re in stock at the link posted.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
At least that ome does packet... but 35w on your back, id check exposure limits.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Got my 148 and 152 programmed.

They are both beasts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Beasts they are....I love mine.
Stranger whom I have never met and done ill hoodrat mess with before....
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Days upon days.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#46]
This.

Days upon days.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Do they make a 152 with the same specs as this 148?
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:56:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#48]
Can anyone comment about the programming buttonology being the same as the real deal?

No shit I want to get one or two as training aids.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ctrmass] [#49]
tagging this
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I though the tca 152 was the better one ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 1 of 25)
Top Top