Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2024 8:36:40 PM EDT
https://www.packrafting-store.de

Bridges are easily controlled choke points that may not be usable for whatever reason.

A poncho raft was always my plan, but TBH, I was kinda ignoring winter.

Link Posted: 9/28/2024 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Packrafts also require a paddle to use efficiently especially in rapid moving water.  Uncharted supply has one if you aren't going to use it much.  Klymit also has a smaller model both of those are flat water only packrafts. Kokopelli and Alpacka are the two big packraft companies in the US.  NRS also has a few models now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some cheap ones on Amazon with mixed reviews. packrafts suck in swift moving water, so if you're trying to use it because the water is up, you might be putting yourself in a bad situation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AL25:
There are some cheap ones on Amazon with mixed reviews. packrafts suck in swift moving water, so if you're trying to use it because the water is up, you might be putting yourself in a bad situation.
View Quote
I'm think more for slow southern rivers
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Spare tire from a car or truck works will in a pinch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

They don't all suck in swift moving water. People use them in white water just like kayaks however that's beyond what we are talking about here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Finally got a chance to look at the weights.  Holy crap!  A one man raft that weighs less than 1.1 lbs?  That's very packable.  And works as part of a lean-to?  That's a slick piece of kit, OP.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

Sorry, I was thinking the bridge was impassable due to flooding. For calm open water I think any of the Alpaca style rafts would work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Sorry, I was thinking the bridge was impassable due to flooding. For calm open water I think any of the Alpaca style rafts would work.
View Quote
Given the current events, that is understandable.

Even after a hurricane or other natural disaster, trying to get home in the aftermath a week or so later, after the water recedes, but the damage is done, a pack raft could be key to getting around a washed out bridge.

Or in the case of roving bands of gangs in a post apocalyptic wasteland, avoiding chokepoints such as bridges would be a good idea Im guessing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Finally got a chance to look at the weights.  Holy crap!  A one man raft that weighs less than 1.1 lbs?  That's very packable.  And works as part of a lean-to?  That's a slick piece of kit, OP.
View Quote

I was wondering what ‘ultralight’ meant. That’s crazy.

I wonder how well it stands up to pointy stuff? That’s one of the concerns I had, with my Advanced Elements inflatables, specifically wrt flooding. The exterior holds up well to stuff like branches, but flood waters can hide metal debris. Even the ends of a submerged metal fence can poke through where a branch wouldn’t.
Link Posted: 10/5/2024 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d consider this an issue of scale.

How often are you likely to encounter a need for a water crossing. Do you want to carry a raft in your truck or in your bag for a maybe once in a lifetime event? Or would you be better off getting a good dry bag to throw your stuff in and use, like a poncho raft but actually waterproof, and can keep your stuff dry all the time in any situation.

*for reference I have done overnight packrafting in Alaska, and it was… fun, painful (shallow rivers and most packrafts don’t have inflated bottoms so your butt hits rocks/gravel bars).

It’s a neat idea but super niche.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 7:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown] [#11]
I have a kokopelli xpd that I picked up. On flat water it is super stable I do need to get a tracking fin  for it because without it, it is slow.in slow moving water it would be fine.  In rapids it really needs a self bailing floor and a spray skirt.  They also make a full length inflating floor.  Currently I just have the inflated seat.

There was a guy on Rokslide that would organize backcountry packraft trips up here, I never made it to one but they would hike packrafts to a lake paddle to a creek then to a river and then take out at the highway.the packrafts were an assortment of Alpackas, Kokopellis and Pristine venture pr49's.  

Alaska was the birthplace of packrafting with Roman Dial Originally starting with Walmart pool toy rafts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#12]
A raft could be a source of security too… if things are socially unstable while you are moving,  they won’t find you in the middle of a lake at night or bother to look in a swamp. Add a camo tarp over the top and you have a comfortable, dry, hard to see shelter. Two tarps and you can use it as shelter on land with one underneath to protect from puncture. Keep you off of the cold ground too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
You are using a pack liner.  Right?  (Right???)

Use one that you can seal and use it to float across a river if you must cross one in an emergency.

The odds you will use a 'packable raft' in an emergency is close to nothing.  However, the pack liner is something very useful in regular use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BLUEBOY:
Spare tire from a car or truck works will in a pinch.
View Quote

Have you tried this? Tires mounted on a rim don’t float well, and are awkward to handle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I would think that 2 or 3 decent sized dry bags tied with some 550 might be ok.  Carry them empty, and "poof them up" when you need..
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
You are using a pack liner.  Right?  (Right???)

Use one that you can seal and use it to float across a river if you must cross one in an emergency.

The odds you will use a 'packable raft' in an emergency is close to nothing.  However, the pack liner is something very useful in regular use.
View Quote

A GI poncho with tent poles (Alpha shelter) will do the same thing if you tie the hood off…
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#17]
For anyone that is interested Kokopelli is having ing a garage sale right now on their packrafts.  They have some used Hornet lites for $275 which are good flatmates boats up to theor Nirvanas for more than. 50%off for a solid class 3 boat.

https://kokopelli.com/collections/garage-sale

I picked up a Rogue R-deck which is a solid class 2 boat that I might take on class 3 after I get used to it.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By moximouse:
I'd consider this an issue of scale.

How often are you likely to encounter a need for a water crossing. Do you want to carry a raft in your truck or in your bag for a maybe once in a lifetime event? Or would you be better off getting a good dry bag to throw your stuff in and use, like a poncho raft but actually waterproof, and can keep your stuff dry all the time in any situation.

*for reference I have done overnight packrafting in Alaska, and it was  fun, painful (shallow rivers and most packrafts don't have inflated bottoms so your butt hits rocks/gravel bars).

It's a neat idea but super niche.
View Quote
I agree 100%

But looking through all the GHB discussions, bridges as choke points are never really discussed.

Poncho rafts and variants are by far the easiest expedient solution ..unless it's cold.
Link Posted: Today 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:
For anyone that is interested Kokopelli is having ing a garage sale right now on their packrafts.  They have some used Hornet lites for $275 which are good flatmates boats up to theor Nirvanas for more than. 50%off for a solid class 3 boat.

https://kokopelli.com/collections/garage-sale

I picked up a Rogue R-deck which is a solid class 2 boat that I might take on class 3 after I get used to it.
View Quote

Went and looked, nothing remotely close to the deal you found..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top