Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2022 4:34:32 PM EDT
We have several mounted large (e.g., Kudu, Caribou, Sable, deer, Zebra rug) and small game animals and would like to know how to go about the process of valuation and putting them up for sale. I didn’t see a taxidermy board on ARF.com, so I thought this might be a good place to start.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s going to be a tough one.  Had a friend move several states away, and he had a nice Cape buffalo head mount I always admired.  He told me I could have it for 1500.
I said I liked it, but didn’t want it.   He never could sell it locally, and didn’t want to ship it.  Right before he moved, he told me I could have it free.  It is now hanging in a local gun shop.
Somebody will want yours, I have no ideas to offer though. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
When we moved into our current house the previous owner left behind some mounts. My wife kaiboshed my idea of putting them in the guest room staring down at the bed. I thought that would minimize the mother-in-law visits at the least. I googled some taxidermy places and saw huge prices. Then I looked at Craigslist and Facebook marketplace and greatly tempered expectations. We wound up selling them to a high school biology teacher that saw our Facebook post. It took a month or two. If that hadn't worked we were thinking about trying some antiques consignment place or auction place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless a mount is TRULY spectacular (as in a state record), there is little value...

People have mounts made to commemorate a successful hunt.  The mount means a lot to the person who punched a tag, but very very little to others.  "My memory isn't of great value to you..."

While a well done mount is costs a very great deal, the resale value of that mount is surprisingly little....
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AL25] [#4]
As already stated, unless it is something really special it's not going to be worth much to anyone. Most people don't want dead animals hanging around their house, I'm guessing you are one of those people. The people who do want animals hanging on their walls damn sure don't want someone elses. You might try Cabelas or Bass Pro since they buy a lot of the mounts that they have displayed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a number of mounts at an auction in Portland, Oregon so I could use the horns to make knife handles.  The mounts weren't full head mounts, just a section of skull bone and the horns.  The auction was around 20 years ago and I bought three (six horns) for around $50.00. I thought it was a fair price.
Top Top