Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2022 6:47:01 PM EDT
Anybody have any experience and or guide recommendations for West TX Auodad hunts? I’ve been watching YouTube videos of hunts and have decided that it looks like fun and I need to try it out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you on a guide, but with the experience.

My son was selected for a spot & stalk Auodad youth hunt (through www.tyhp.org) in March 2020.

It was on a private ranch near Van Horn,TX. Elevation varied between 3500-4500' .

It was challenging,  but an incredible experience.  Our guide (thru www.tyhp.org) was great.

A nice change from hunting whitetails and hogs from a blind. Auodad meat is ok, but not my favorite.

The ranch we were on does not do commercial hunts, just hunts for friends, family, business associates and kids through www.tyhp.org.

I hope you can get a good hunt in!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
All the hunts I've watched on TV seemed challenging , between altitude and terrain a rough hunt . I don't think I could physically do it any more .
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I live at 5000’ and spend quite a bit of time biking and hiking so I feel pretty good about scrambling around the mountains but, definitely want to get the hunt in before I get much older!

Rumbletruck, glad your son had a successful hunt! What a great experience. He looks like a fine young man. Seems like a lot of people say the Auodad is so so to eat. I’ll be prepared to do lots of brine baths and braising if need be. One of my employees is a jerky magician so that would always be an option too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RumbleTruck] [#4]
@870Fan

Reading a recent American Rifleman article on Remington Core Lokt ammunition,  the author mentioned a west Texas mule deer hunt through these outfitters, who also do auodad hunts:

https://www.highwestoutfitter.com/
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 870Fan] [#5]
Awesome, thanks a bunch @RumbleTruck!
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 870Fan:
Awesome, thanks a bunch @RumbleTruck!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I hunted with this outfit a few years back.  Can’t comment on them now, but we hunted Boracho Peak and the ranch we were on was amazing.  Don’t know if they still hunt Boracho Peak.

https://www.desertsafaris.com/

https://www.abellranches.com/boracho-peak-ranch

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You can hunt them all over the central, hill country area too. The amount some of these outfits charge to hunt them and for trophies is astronomical, especially when they are all over the place, invasive, destructive  and a competitor to the native desert bighorn (we have those too). Some folks believe they need to just be eradicated. But a lot of these ranches and guides would lose a lot of money if they weren’t around. You can try to find a property owner in west Texas who wants encourage desert bighorn populations and would let you help in the effort.
Top Top