Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2023 2:22:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: green_bullet]
What do you all recommend for a camo pattern for an Early-Mid October Elk hunt in Eastern KY? Rifle. 300yd or closer. Below the treeline.

Environment will be thick brush, temps can be ranging from 36F to 90F within the same day. Hunting from sun rise to sunset, then hiking back 2-5mi at least to camp/truck.

Im doing my own searching now, but would like to hear what you all think.

I am partial to Sitka, but took my deer last year with gear from Walmart. I just like how their patterns look.

More durable clothing welcome. I sweat alot but the brush will likely have bramble and such.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Got lot's of reds like here in East TN?

Alpenflage
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
Got lot's of reds like here in East TN?

Alpenflage
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139619/post-6853-0-34894800-1410967762_jpg-2824201.JPG
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You will need to wear fluorescent orange on head and chest.  

Any decent woodland type camo will suffice.  Be more concerned about warmth and dryness of the clothing and apply layers to adjust.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
From Google because I've never hunted elk.

Elk are technically not color blind, but they do not see color in the same manner as humans. Their vision is not just a sea of black, white, and gray, but they see a much more narrow color spectrum that enhances colors of green at the expense of the orange and red spectrum.

This means that some colors register for elk as they do for us and some colors don't register at all.

View Quote
So base your camo pattern of what an elk can see or can't see.  Having to wear blaze orange safety vests don't mean anything because they can't see it.  Like the post above, anything in woodland camo works

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vatopa:
You will need to wear fluorescent orange on head and chest.  

Any decent woodland type camo will suffice.  Be more concerned about warmth and dryness of the clothing and apply layers to adjust.

View Quote

Body and head, yes. Sitka gear is very comfortable (I used to have a full set of Elevated Forest)  so it has a practical use. And while getting hinting clothing I would like an otherwise practical pattern
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Multicam seems to work every but the western plains.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Kuiu Verde is my preferred camo
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
ASAT seems to work darn near everywhere I have tried it
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]
If you like Sitka (or Kuiu, or first lite, etc), just buy, focusing on building a layering system.  You're not going to get busted because of the type of camo you're wearing, you'll get busted because of movement or scent.
I've got sitka open country, marsh, subalpine, and solids (mainly mud).  More and more I just wear the solids or pick the pieces I want based on weather and features, with camo pattern being the least concern.
Top Top