Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#1]
Picked up a 325 gallon propane tank for a decent price. Full of propane. Trailering it home was easy. Getting it off the trailer and set on the ground wasn’t fun. But, it’s set. It’ll eventually be hooked up to the shop heater. Have a separate 500 gallon tank for the house. Normally use 225 or so gallons of propane per year (house and shop) so now have easily 2 years worth. Likely could stretch it to 3 years if needed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Made the biggest investment in my 35 years of life!

Finally closed on a house.
Rural area, 2 acres of land. Organic farm a half mile down the road one way, and a winery the other. Let the work and projects begin! Oh and 30 years of mortgage payments!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
Made the biggest investment in my 35 years of life!

Finally closed on a house.
Rural area, 2 acres of land. Organic farm a half mile down the road one way, and a winery the other. Let the work and projects begin! Oh and 30 years of mortgage payments!
View Quote

Very nice! Now get to work getting that mortgage paid off!
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Changed oil in generators.

Topped off 4 propane tanks (20#)

Rotated 5 gallon fuel cans, added stabil storage and sea-foam.

Ready for summer storms.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Went to a yard sale and found some good stuff.

Unfortunately it was because the prepper father died and the kids were selling stuff off.

Attachment Attached File

I don't usually buy mountain house but the price was right.  $130 for all pictured.

Plus I got some more basic first aid stuff, a safety siphon, and some other sundries.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Ran the generators for the monthly(ish) test- a cheap 1000w Honda copy, a Honda 2000w, and a Coleman 5kw.  Coleman had a bunch of problems and apparently needs the carb cleaned or replace- again, already cleaned it out few months back.  So gotta do that today…that is the most important generator as I am on a well and it is the only one capable of 220.  

I do keep spare carbs for each of them so in an emergency I can just unbolt one and be back in business while I clean the old one.  Highly recommended and cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Ran the generators for the monthly(ish) test- a cheap 1000w Honda copy, a Honda 2000w, and a Coleman 5kw.  Coleman had a bunch of problems and apparently needs the carb cleaned or replace- again, already cleaned it out few months back.  So gotta do that today…that is the most important generator as I am on a well and it is the only one capable of 220.  

I do keep spare carbs for each of them so in an emergency I can just unbolt one and be back in business while I clean the old one.  Highly recommended and cheap insurance.
View Quote

Also on a well.  I have a 6kw coleman, and a 4kw powermate.  I have a spare carb for the powermate but not the coleman as it's a super simple carb and the kits were cheap.  Plus having two generators that can power my well with some spare parts I figure I should be good.  Longer term grid down situation I use the powermate as it has better fuel economy and can power my well without issue.  At this point my large coleman noise maker is more of a backup but I do run them both a few times each year and try to alternate per power outage.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Did some more firewood over the weekend even though it was way too hot and humid for such a task.  

Attachment Attached File

Yesterday after work I spent a few hours on my range.  Tested out the my trigger work on my now go to SKS and zeroed in my RAR in 7.62x39.  Used up some of my 9mm reloads working on draw and sight acquisition with the crimson trase reflex on my XDS.  Plinked some 22LR for the heck of it.  I am very happy with my new backyard range and steel target setups.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

They are not designed for 7.62x39 but I winged one by accident...  Paper targets were setup behind the pistol steel. Steel is fine, but I need to straighten out the hanger and weld up a few more.  In the pictures the steel appears to be bolted tight, but they just hold the steel from falling off and are loose.  I have a large surplus of random nuts and bolts so I figured I would come up with something to hang the steel that wouldn't cost me anything.  I didn't put a whole lot of time or effort into making them nice because I wasn't even sure if they would work well, and well they are going to get shot at so...  I have access to endless free chainsaw cut green poles and just hammer them into the ground wherever I want the targets.  Screw with a small washer secures the hanger to the top of the pole.

Range tables are all made from scrap wood and I have saved a few spools over the years.

Attachment Attached File

I have been working on a new mindset for the month of June (my wife and I called it no junk June) and will try to continue moving forward.  Do more with what I already have and stop spending money on extra crap I don't really need.  Back to the basics and focus on more doing, and less buying.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Local yard sale pick up. 22 cans for $100. Worked out to be ~$500 retail and something like 112,000 calories. Not my primary long term food but a nice addition to it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Oil change on my 2k inverter generator.  It was overdue.  Broke in a new little 1k unit that will be used for boondocking with our camper.  Ran the little two stroke guy for the hell of it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Service and test your generators often, which I need to do with my larger units at some point this summer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Oil change on my 2k inverter generator.  It was overdue.  Broke in a new little 1k unit that will be used for boondocking with our camper.  Ran the little two stroke guy for the hell of it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/449913614_447059714811247_32545739656782-3268272.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/450849259_453371224252259_12581467081649-3268274.JPG

Service and test your generators often, which I need to do with my larger units at some point this summer.
View Quote

Go figure.  Been on generator power now going on 16 hours due to storm/ widespread outages...  Ran the noise makers powering the whole house until I had to leave for work this AM.  Ran a cord to the fridge outside to the 2K inverter so it can keep that cold while at work.  If the temps weren't 80+ it would probably be fine for the day...  After this run the noise makers will be due for an oil change.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
This past week I ordered a taps chest rig. I plan to use it as my new light weight set up and will be modifying and adding components to it very soon. This week I also ordered a ready wise food bucket that midway USA had on  a flash sale for 50 bucks. Thank you magic prepper for the notification. I also added more 5.56 to the ammo fort this week and plan to shoot my new rifle build in the next few days. Today I constructed another trellis system and planted another batch of pole beans. This makes my second set and hopefully will be planting a third set later this week. I’ve been trying to do a little more lately with the election right around the corner.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 12:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#14]
Me and the OL went for broke (literally) and bought a medium Harvest Right freeze drier.

After our initial run last night (function check, really), she's doing fruit/berries right now and I've got a hearty beef stew in the Dutch oven.

Woo-hoo!

I can hardly wait to try that! I bet it'll work out AWESOME!!!

And w/o all the garbage the prepping/camping companies (Mountain House, et al) put in their stuff!

We've been using a couple dehydrators for a few years for herbs, fruits, etc, but this'll take us to a whole'nuther level!

ETA: spelling! It's, you know...the thing! LOL

ETA 2: Excepting the intentional one, of course!
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:
Me and the OL went for broke (literally) and bought a medium Harvest Right freeze drier.

After our initial run last night (function check, really), she's doing fruit/berries right now and I've got a hearty beef stew in the Dutch oven.

Woo-hoo!

And w/o all the garbage the prepping/camping companies (Mountain House, et al) put in their stuff!

We've been using a couple dehydrators for a few years for herbs, fruits, etc, but this'll take us to a whole'nuther level!

View Quote

be sure to add lots of extra dry time for anything with seeds, seeds don't like to give up moisture easily

here's the freeze drying thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Freeze-Drying-Freeze-Driers-Freeze-Dried-Food-and-Shenanigans/5-2689099/
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

be sure to add lots of extra dry time for anything with seeds, seeds don't like to give up moisture easily

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Freeze-Drying-Freeze-Driers-Freeze-Dried-Food-and-Shenanigans/5-2689099/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

Woo-hoo!

Hey! Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Woo-hoo!

View Quote

We just bought the same one in April.  You will love it.  I told the wife last fall I am 1 world conflict away from dropping the money for a freeze dryer. A few things happened and the Harvest Right suddenly appeared in my basement 1 day!
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:

We just bought the same one in April.  You will love it.  I told the wife last fall I am 1 world conflict away from dropping the money for a freeze dryer. A few things happened and the Harvest Right suddenly appeared in my basement 1 day!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:

Woo-hoo!

Roger that!

I'll definitely be giving ours a workout!
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Put away 20 quarts of tomatoes.

Defrosted freezers to make room for 1/4 animal in a couple weeks.

Freezers pretty close to full already…
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
You freeze drier guys need to make a thread in this forum.  I need motivation to go ahead and get one.  

Any advice on sound proofing it?  Where mine would sit is close to where I’m on conf calls all day.  I can’t have it sound like heavy equipment for 30 hrs
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 3:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#21]
Originally Posted By taliv:
You freeze drier guys need to make a thread in this forum.  I need motivation to go ahead and get one.  

Any advice on sound proofing it?  Where mine would sit is close to where I’m on conf calls all day.  I can’t have it sound like heavy equipment for 30 hrs
View Quote

the premier oil pump is not really that loud, the oilless pump is supposed to be fairly loud though

ETA:  you can't really sound proof it, the vacuum pump is what makes noise and it needs space around it for cooling as it gets pretty warm
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Got a couple ammo box/ tray combos from Costco, which led to repacking a lost of my ammo stash, which led to a thorough inventory.

This led to a refocus on what I need to be buying. I typically get a box or two of 9mm or 5.56 wherever I’m in the gun store. I’ll still do that since that’s what I shoot the most of, but I ordered some .38 and .357 from some Midway sales. I’ll be getting a couple other things soon.

This also led to an inventory of medications, batteries, fuel, and food by calories and protein.

I have a new shopping list.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Almost seems ridiculous, but I got a battery tester that tests a broad range of batteries.  

I've heard stories from a lot of guys down range talking about how they installed fresh batteries before every op... because they didn't have a way of testing batteries.  

Well I don't want to waste a lot of batteries and a lot of money replacing good batteries.  A battery tester helps me to better assess readiness of my gear and should save me some money in the long term.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By R_S:
Almost seems ridiculous, but I got a battery tester that tests a broad range of batteries.  

I've heard stories from a lot of guys down range talking about how they installed fresh batteries before every op... because they didn't have a way of testing batteries.  

Well I don't want to waste a lot of batteries and a lot of money replacing good batteries.  A battery tester helps me to better assess readiness of my gear and should save me some money in the long term.
View Quote

Great idea!!  A battery tester is a great way to save money and batteries.  I hadn't thought of that.  

I ordered several more cases of pasta and rice from the LDS website.  Their site is the cheapest I've found and the $3.00 shipping is great.  As of today, things are looking a little crazy out there.  Stock market jitters, potential expansion of the middle east war and our own political idiocracy make preparedness a no brainer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Purchased a pressure canner .
Canned 8 pints of pickled sweet peppers
10 lbs of French fries
8 pints of homemade spicy chili
Smoking 2 Boston butts and canning those next weekend.

Oh and sloppy joes .
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Received my Mountain House order. Got a fe cane of Rice & Chicken, Chicken Noodle casserole, Chili Mac, and Biscuits & Gravy. Also bought a few single packs to try out. The Kung Pao chicken was really good, going to try the chicken fajita bowl tonight at work.

Probably going to put another order in for some Beef Lasagna, as I don't have any and the sale ends in a couple days. Then I'll have like 4 months worth of freeze dried meals (for 1 person) on top of my canned food supply. I gotta inventory everything and figure out how long it will last in an emergency.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:
the sale ends in a couple days.
View Quote

What company has MH on sale?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:
the sale ends in a couple days.

mountain house

https://mountainhouse.com/collections/sale/?utm_content=main_text&utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=08.27.2024%20-%20Labor%20Day%20Announcement%20
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for the link!
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Today?

We’ve been in a drought, but we’ve tried to use what the good Lord has given us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 4:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8upwitHDs] [#31]
Starting seeds for winter garden (yeah we are the opposite of you northerners). Tomatoes, squash, peppers (red, green, orange), Eggplant (just 2), onions (Grannex/Vidalia). In a couple weeks, I will start the lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage. All in containers, so I can move them around if need be and so the rabbits don't get them. Sent Lowdown3 some $$$ too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Today and currently I am focused on energy making without generators. so Solar, may look into wind soon.

Im learning about solar panels, cable/wire, mc4 connections and why I like SB50 better.

now that I have some basics, starting to look in the best value for wire, and better MC4 connections. I currently use powerwerx stuff.

Mainly for camping, but also truck ish.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks for posting!  Just put in an order, MMmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#34]

Great idea!!  A battery tester is a great way to save money and batteries.  I hadn't thought of that.  

I ordered several more cases of pasta and rice from the LDS website.  Their site is the cheapest I've found and the $3.00 shipping is great.  As of today, things are looking a little crazy out there.  Stock market jitters, potential expansion of the middle east war and our own political idiocracy make preparedness a no brainer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R_S:

Ordering from the LDS Store for Cost and Convenience are two of the biggest advantages; but not the most important IMO.  The most important advantages is the known 30 year life of *most* of their long term food offerings.  I think only flour and dry milk are less than the normal 30 year life span for food.  

Excellent food products from the world's SMEs on long term food storage.  Count me as a big fan!
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Haven’t posted on this in a bit.

Picked up a new 300 WM it’s a switch barrel and came with a spare 7mm mag barrel. So 2 new calibers to reload.

Picked up 400 each 300 WM and 7 mm Mag brass. I already shoot other 30 and 7mm calibers so I’m set for bullets and powder.

Scored 2 new Scepter water cans that were on clearance at TAX.

Scored several more useful books at yard sales (the library is ever expanding).

Picked up 2 free chainsaws and those will be my winter project to get them running. One is a Homelite the other is a Poulan. One is 16” the other is 20”.  These will likely be bartered.

Helped my neighbor put up his greenhouse. Gifted them some spare can I f stuff and 2 dozen jars to get them started along with a spare package of heirloom seeds.

I have to redo my yard in the spring f and he told me don’t worry just pay for the materials and he will take care of all the tilling and reshaping if the yard. I asked ??? He said he will just bring how. Tue till I g attachment and a skid steer from work and it won’t take long at all. He also taught me how to properly sod a yard when he did his so that you don’t get ugly seams. Freaking  awesome neighbor.

Acquired a military medical deployment chest and am in the process of filling it. First op for it is enough dental stuff to anything up to an extraction.

Just made my normal monthly supply run and brought back a life times worth of Bay Leaves and Cumin.

and I have spent the last 2 months of spare time decluttering f my house so it only half looks like the set on Hoarders. Hoping to have that completed by the first snow this year.

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#36]
In the last week, I have been working on preserving garden produce.

Dehydrating tomatoes, made 11 pints of pickles, fermenting my first batch of hot sauce, dehydrated some peppers, made 20 pints of salsa with a friend (but I sent him home with over half of it, as I still have lots from last year).

Also bought my first generator, I'll have to figure that out more once it arrives.

As the guy above me mentioned, I've also been slowly trying to declutter and bring some order to the basement so I can store all this crap  
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Decluttering is a never ending saga.

I also forgot to mention that my neighbors are getting canning lessons from me when they harvest their first veggies this winter.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 12:00:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#38]
Our freeze dryer is freaking amazing.

Here's some lasagna I made last week, but I've done a LOT more stuff than this (just didn't take pics).

Attachment Attached File

We just brought in a boatload of parsley, oregano and peppers which will go in the dehydrator (not the freeze dryer - though, maybe the peppers will).

We've had it now about a month and I can hardly believe how much we've put up already! If you can pull it off, I can't recommend one strongly enough.

ETA: It's homemade Mountain House, the way you'd make it (same 25-30 year shelf life, too [unless it's high fat])!
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#39]
2 more pails of rice and 2 of beans to add to our stash.

10 boxes wooden matches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 2:17:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Let's see, wife is gone, dogs are gone, I guess that I'll just sit back and watch the world burn.
Bought a couple hundred dollars worth of booze, nothing better than sitting back with a drink and watching the world end.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Let's see, wife is gone, dogs are gone, I guess that I'll just sit back and watch the world burn.
Bought a couple hundred dollars worth of booze, nothing better than sitting back with a drink and watching the world end.
https://eggythebread.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/4/7/24471195/8093502_orig.jpg
View Quote

Some would consider that life just beginning.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Dude, you need another dog.  I can't imagine life alone without a little yapper.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Got 3 more 5 gallon gas cans filled and stabilized for storage (and rotation).
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Short of NBC stuff, I've got about everything I can think of, so I've been concentrating on me.

Since end of April, I'm down 41# (as of this morning) so today I decided to don my plate carrier (after adding 3 more mag pouches to give me 9 total and a full canteen) and wore it for a few hours, just beating around the house.

I plan on doing it everyday for at least a little while to help get me adapted to carrying the weight (not just my own fat!). I'd say that counts as a "prep", don't you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Short of NBC stuff, I've got about everything I can think of, so I've been concentrating on me.

Since end of April, I'm down 41# (as of this morning) so today I decided to don my plate carrier (after adding 3 more mag pouches to give me 9 total and a full canteen) and wore it for a few hours, just beating around the house.

I plan on doing it everyday for at least a little while to help get me adapted to carrying the weight (not just my own fat!). I'd say that counts as a "prep", don't you?
View Quote

Probably the most important prep.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

100%!

I haven't got much range time in this year.  My last range day was back in July, and I wore my steel plates.  Hot as fuck but I wore them on the whole time.  Plan on doing that from now on.  Good practice and exercise.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:06:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnoc] [#47]
Thinning the gun collection and bought more useful stuff.  I got this, not really into canning, so I thought that this might make it easier to do.  Have the jars and tools to do it now.

Amazon Product
  • Automated for simple home canning.

Put about 50 pounds of pork butt into the deep freeze including a bunch I turned into burger with the grinder.  Going to use some of the chunked to turn into green chili pork stew for canning.

Also bought an okay chest rig for keep in the vehicle and for travel.

Amazon Product
  • Universal, removable, adjustable H-strap harness. Three velcro ID panels: on main pouch, Med Insert Pouch and at the back on harness

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Scheduled a 1/4 cow beef purchase. It’ll come vacuum sealed and frozen. Have the deep freeze ready.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Thinning the gun collection and bought more useful stuff.  I got this, not really into canning, so I thought that this might make it easier to do.  Have the jars and tools to do it now.

www.amazon.com/dp/B089P2W2N6

Put about 50 pounds of pork butt into the deep freeze including a bunch I turned into burger with the grinder.  Going to use some of the chunked to turn into green chili pork stew for canning.

www.amazon.com/dp/B079K13R9Y
View Quote

@Ronnoc how do you like both of those? I was thinking about getting into canning but babysitting a pot all evening doesn't seem fun. But being able "set and forget" might get me off my ass to actually do it.

We bulk food and to have ground beef/pulled pork and stuff ready to go would be fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@Ronnoc how do you like both of those? I was thinking about getting into canning but babysitting a pot all evening doesn't seem fun. But being able "set and forget" might get me off my ass to actually do it.

We bulk food and to have ground beef/pulled pork and stuff ready to go would be fantastic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:

www.amazon.com/dp/B089P2W2N6

www.amazon.com/dp/B079K13R9Y

@steviesterno16

I haven't tried it yet, got it just a couple of weeks and life hasn't given me a breather yet to try.  But the reasons you mention are the exact reasons that I got it.  I don't want to babysit it.  My step-mom is a canner and has a regular canner and she even mentioned it would be nice not having to babysit it.  You can both pressure can and hot bath can.  I have never canned before, so I thought it would be good to use it.  I watched some review videos and operations and people really seem to like it.

The chest rig I just ordered.  Watched a lot of reviews on chest rigs, a lot.  I decided from the utility and price, it fit what I wanted.  I really considered the Buffalo Research Onward Recce rig, a Garand Thumb creation I believe.  This one seems to fit the bill better for me.  I figure I am not a soldier/operator, etc, so for me for my vehicle, it seems a good option, more a mid-tier level.
Page / 22
Top Top