User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/4/2007 4:05:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner]
I have a Choc. Lab & an English Springer Spaniel
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a beagle named Titanic. Not a very good rabbit dog since he hasn't been run too much the past couple "winters", but does alright.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a versatile hunting dog.  He's good to go on both land and in water.  Locates, tracks, points on land.  He's also retrieves on land and in water.

Once my life settles down a bit I want to seriously start him on blood tracking.  He's done just a little practice and has done well.  Two of his brothers have found downed deer with no training.  If I move I want to introduce him to hogs.

www.vdd-gna.org/index.php

vom Fuchsfluesschen Kennel

I figured if I only wanted one dog I might as well get one that can do just about anything.  I also bought into one of the greatest owner support groups I've ever experienced in my life.  They trained me how to work with my dog, all I had to do was show up and pay for any training birds we used.      

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have three black labs, but only one is a hunting dog.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two Catahoulas....one is a registered dog and the other is a half breed...
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
There is only one true hunting dog,

The German Shepard.  

The question is what are you hunting for.

They can be a best friend or a worst enemy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I am living vicariously through you guys.  I have to wait until my kids get a couple of years older before I can dedicate time to another hunting dog.  (Wouldn't be fair to the dog as it wouldn't get the exercise and training it needs with my current work and family demands.  I had to find my Rhodesian a new home two years ago because I thought I could do it all at the same time, and while it sucked it was the right decision.)

I'm getting a lab when the time comes though.  I need a dog that can retrieve ducks and geese, as well as help out on the odd day of upland, while being a best friend to 3 little kids. I don't think any dog does all of this better than labs.  I love GSDs, but IME they've been great companions and protectors (none better, few equal), but not great in the field.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norge1956] [#7]
Plott Hound -
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By scrum:
I am living vicariously through you guys.  I have to wait until my kids get a couple of years older before I can dedicate time to another hunting dog.  (Wouldn't be fair to the dog as it wouldn't get the exercise and training it needs with my current work and family demands.  I had to find my Rhodesian a new home two years ago because I thought I could do it all at the same time, and while it sucked it was the right decision.)

I'm getting a lab when the time comes though.  I need a dog that can retrieve ducks and geese, as well as help out on the odd day of upland, while being a best friend to 3 little kids. I don't think any dog does all of this better than labs.  I love GSDs, but IME they've been great companions and protectors (none better, few equal), but not great in the field.

I have been looking at the Rhodesians. What do you think of them? Why not get another one? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Brittany.

'Nuff said.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
beagle
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Beagle

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a English setter named Skeeter, after Skeeter Skelton, the author.  he's less than two, but seems to be a hell of a bird dog!  I'm horrible at working with him, and he's full of energy, but he's found covey's and singles, as well as downed birds that my brother's three year old Brittany (who's been out West thre times!)  has walked right past!  Can't wait until he settles down a bit, I think he'll be a great bird dog!  As he is, he's lots of fun, and is a great family pooch.  He loves to be around us and is always a happy pup!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/Slow_Hand23/Image013.jpg

And, here's my brother's Brittany, Cooper

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/Slow_Hand23/Image011.jpg

Doug K
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
beagles for rabbits

Plott hounds for coon, cat, and bear  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Beagle for the rabbits
Chocolate lab for the birds
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Here are my two. Both are fixed females and will do exactly as instructed via voice or hand comands. One is an Airedale Terrier and the other is a mix of blackmouth cur bulldog lab. The Airedale will run till she drops and is not afraid of anything. The cur mix is not as fast or willing to run as long as the Airedale but she'll lock on to anything and not let go until told to. Both go approx 75 pounds.http://photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/mansbestfriend/websize/2352170-R1-027-12.jpg
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Black lab about 4 months old.  I am going to try to train her for pheasant and rabbit.  She is mostly a house dog but I would like to take her hunting too so I don't have to be the dog.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are mine.

Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 3yr old Golden Retriever, and by the weekend will have a 8 week old golden. The long hair can be a pain sometimes but is well worth the hassle for a good house dog. Training was also much easier than with my Springer Spaniel which was a good dog just not as quick.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
2 chocolate labs
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
Here are mine.

i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/hidesertwheelin/Hunting/dogs.jpg

I have springers as well. What kennel/breeder is yours out of?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By jmhat98:

I have been looking at the Rhodesians. What do you think of them? Why not get another one? Thanks

Sorry for late response.  RRs are great dogs but need a lot of time up front in training - they are, in my experience (YMMV), quite headstrong and hyper as pups, which combined with smarts and braun = one heck of a dog down the road, but a time intensive experience up front.  I would not recommend them unless you are an experienced dog owner and have dedicated time for lots and lots of training.  I was used to GSDs and labs, so when I combined hound and headstrong, I was honestly over my head.  In addition, my RR was South African stock, and topped out at 150+ lbs lean.  US stock is tending towards smaller dogs (75-90lbs).  He was a sweetheart, but so big and enthusiastic he was a hazard - and I fully accept that as my fault as an owner.  I found him a new home when he reached a 100 lbs at 5 months old, and he is now doing much better with his new family on a nice size farm backing onto a provincial park.  RRs need to run (full out run) regularly, and they don't usually fetch (at least few do).  They are probably the best looking dogs on the planet (in my opinion) - everybody, from old ladies to cops to kids - wanted me to stop and talk about him on every walk or run.  I miss him, but I know my lifestyle is not really suited to a RRs needs.

As far as hunting dogs, they are superior trackers and chasers (true hounds - they work ahead of people and lead people, but don't work "with" people as much as pull them along - very different from a lab or GSD).  I hunt deer, elk, waterfowl and a little upland - lab type work.  Also, in WA we are not allowed to use dogs to hunt the big cats, so that leaves a RR as a pet and, if you have time for regular training, as a rescue tracker or lure coursing.

They are great dogs though, just not for me.  If you decide on one, I can refer you to several top notch working line breeders.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By joker1:

Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
Here are mine.

i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/hidesertwheelin/Hunting/dogs.jpg

I have springers as well. What kennel/breeder is yours out of?

I got him from a local breeder where I live. I have my wife addicted to them. She says we will never not have a springer in our lives.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#23]
This is what I use:

German Wirehaired Pointer
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Beagles, Walkers, and Redbones and one APBT that loves to run deer and rabbits.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#25]
height=8
height=8
Originally Posted By jmhat98:

Sorry for late response.  RRs are great dogs but need a lot of time up front in training - they are, in my experience (YMMV), quite headstrong and hyper as pups, which combined with smarts and braun = one heck of a dog down the road, but a time intensive experience up front.  I would not recommend them unless you are an experienced dog owner and have dedicated time for lots and lots of training.  I was used to GSDs and labs, so when I combined hound and headstrong, I was honestly over my head.  In addition, my RR was South African stock, and topped out at 150+ lbs lean.  US stock is tending towards smaller dogs (75-90lbs).  He was a sweetheart, but so big and enthusiastic he was a hazard - and I fully accept that as my fault as an owner.  I found him a new home when he reached a 100 lbs at 5 months old, and he is now doing much better with his new family on a nice size farm backing onto a provincial park.  RRs need to run (full out run) regularly, and they don't usually fetch (at least few do).  They are probably the best looking dogs on the planet (in my opinion) - everybody, from old ladies to cops to kids - wanted me to stop and talk about him on every walk or run.  I miss him, but I know my lifestyle is not really suited to a RRs needs.

As far as hunting dogs, they are superior trackers and chasers (true hounds - they work ahead of people and lead people, but don't work "with" people as much as pull them along - very different from a lab or GSD).  I hunt deer, elk, waterfowl and a little upland - lab type work.  Also, in WA we are not allowed to use dogs to hunt the big cats, so that leaves a RR as a pet and, if you have time for regular training, as a rescue tracker or lure coursing.

They are great dogs though, just not for me.  If you decide on one, I can refer you to several top notch working line breeders.

Wow, 150lb lean RR! I have two that are 2 and 3 years old that are pets. Even though they have never hunted, I can see their inner hunter come out when something fast moving passes by them or a stranger comes calling. If you have photos or links to sites that have some of the South African stock, I would like to see them. My dogs are about 100 lbs a peice, and are NOT lean...
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Guess
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I take care of my dads' beagles.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:32:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L0neGunman] [#28]

Originally Posted By 10MMGary:
Here are my two. Both are fixed females and will do exactly as instructed via voice or hand comands. One is an Airedale Terrier and the other is a mix of blackmouth cur bulldog lab. The Airedale will run till she drops and is not afraid of anything. The cur mix is not as fast or willing to run as long as the Airedale but she'll lock on to anything and not let go until told to. Both go approx 75 pounds.photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/mansbestfriend/websize/2352170-R1-027-12.jpg

I'm glad Im not the only using a non bird dog. Heres a pic of "Clyde" my Catahoula pup( has a little bulldog in him fro what others have said". Also a pic of "Clyde" and my Boxer "Colt", Cydes trying to catch him. Thats my youngest boy with them.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 1 1/2 year old pointer dalmation cross. I will put up pics later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By dIIshoots:
beagles for rabbits

Plott hounds for coon, cat, and bear  

Man I miss runnin coon hounds. There aren't any dang trees down here!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:31:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogrunner] [#31]
Lemon Walker deer dogs.  Mostly.   They'll smoke a deer, run hell out of fox and have been known to bay up a damned bear.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#32]
German shorthair pointer/retriever.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Blackmouth Cur pup here, 10 months and almost 80 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2007 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#34]
10 month old Viszla, great nose and tracking ability already. Not only will I train her for pheasant, but she will be trained as scent dog for our Search and Rescue team.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Irish Setter
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#36]
i have greyhounds. i've never hunted them, but there are people in west texas that use them to hunt coyotes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 10:31:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: peskador] [#37]
5 month old "pointing" Yellow Lab

10.5 year old German Shorthair x English Pointer Mutt

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#38]
French Brittany.  I went to a shop the other day, and they had a GSP hanging behind the counter.  Was not interested in saying hello to anybody, just watched everybody on the other side of the counter.

My Brittany has a hard time not saying hello to everybody, if I tell her to be still and leave people alone.  Very different personalities.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got 2 english setters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 10:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohio] [#41]
Dachshund.  12 pounds of fury against groundhogs and suchlike critters.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
5 labs.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Beagles for deer
Walkers for deer/fox
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 11:03:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shootmoa] [#44]
Had a Springer, great dog.  Now looking for a new pup, in a Small Munsterlander.  Hard to find, may have to go to Germany to get one.

ETA:  Found a bunch.  Ended up going to Iowa to find a breeder with a litter available.  The Kleine Munsterlander is a versatile hunting dog.  They look like a slimmer version of a springer, with a long feathery tail, very stylish.  They point birds, retrieve game, fur or feathers, and will track lost game, as well.  The guys I knew in Germany with them, were using them for all that, plus tracking and flushing the wounded wild boar.  

Its now 3yrs down the road, and my Munster is a great hunting and family dog.  She lets my 2yo do anything to her, including a full lipstick application, and the usual laying on, pulling ears and tail, taking it all without a fuss.  She is also a great protector of the baby.  If I open a door outside, she is off to the races.  If the baby opens the door, she will stay right within 3 feet of her, and not leave her.  Couldn't ask for more than that from a hunting dog and family dog.  

She loves water work and when swimming, will put her head under the water and look around.  Funny dog.  

I also found a great support group, like the poster above, just show up and pay for the birds and they will do all they can to get you and your dog trained.  They are associated with the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Club, along with the really great Small Munsterlander Club of North America.  There are lots of photos in the photo section of the SMCNA website.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2008 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
I have a versatile hunting dog.  He's good to go on both land and in water.  Locates, tracks, points on land.  He's also retrieves on land and in water.

Once my life settles down a bit I want to seriously start him on blood tracking.  He's done just a little practice and has done well.  Two of his brothers have found downed deer with no training.  If I move I want to introduce him to hogs.

www.vdd-gna.org/index.php

vom Fuchsfluesschen Kennel

I figured if I only wanted one dog I might as well get one that can do just about anything.  I also bought into one of the greatest owner support groups I've ever experienced in my life.  They trained me how to work with my dog, all I had to do was show up and pay for any training birds we used.      

I know this post is a bit old, but I've hunted with a friend's Drahthaar.  Wow, what a hunter.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 9:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emcs31089] [#46]
beagle
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Clumber Spaniel which is afraid of water
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Small Munsterlander...does great with the pheasents here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Terrier for squirrel hunting.  Used to have a Black and Tan that treed like there was no tomorrow.

Saved the guy from being destroyed for being gun shy.  Idiot just threw him out there and started shooting a shotgun.  22 doesn't bother him.  So far I've had him for a week.  Taken him out 4 times, and come back with at least 3 squirrels each time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Brittany

one of the best dogs I have seen or owned.  Great with my 3 boys all under 5 and got him out to SD for a pheasan slaughter and he showed up all the great dog out there.  He went on point and I saw 4 other dogs run right past him with out breaking stride and sure enough the bird was there.   I kinda wonder how many birds the other dogs left in the fields?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top