Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2024 10:49:22 PM EDT
Building an Emergency Communications Plan
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's re -read this; Why do people think people in the miltary have the answer for civilian comms?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you criticizing the video?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 3:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
A bunch of blahblahblah that's irrelevant, if that's what the intention of the thread is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Because the military has a half assed answer for everything.  Since people have been in the military and observed that their half assed way occasionally works, they assume that’s the best way to do it.  Comms never worked worth a crap when I was in the army, I remember our comm team unable to ever get HF communication to the tank range about 100 miles outside of Baghdad.  I also remember the entire battalion losing comms almost every time we had to update encryption keys.  

So yeah, that’s a perfect example of ham radio too.  A bunch of people who think they know the answer and occasionally get it to work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
YouTube...where the lowest common denominator is driven by clicks, likes, and Patreon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A bunch of blahblahblah that's irrelevant, if that's what the intention of the thread is.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-359.gif

Whole youtube video "P.A.C.E Planning For Radio COMMS" which could be replaced by the following:

"Have backups".

And no, 30-512MHz is not the "military band". 140-160 is not the "civilian band". Good grief.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
5 minutes and nothing said, I speak for after the first 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Whole youtube video "P.A.C.E Planning For Radio COMMS" which could be replaced by the following:

"Have backups".

And no, 30-512MHz is not the "military band". 140-160 is not the "civilian band". Good grief.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#10]
people don't think infrastructure be like it is, but it do

100 mile range on portable radios?  yeah, you're gonna need more than two bow-fang-ching-chongs and "tactical antennas" for that.

oh ho ho, you want it to work indoors too?  fun fact, it's not that a more expensive portable gets better "raaaaange", or more power will help you any.
Remember, doubling your power is only a 3dB difference.

if you don't see the work that happens on the back end, and your radios "just work", then i've done my job well
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I love how they start with ok we are done with the babble we are just going to tell you what to buy. and then they bring in ex mil guy to completely uselessly babble for over 30 minutes. a rare miss for Trex labs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:44:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

100 mile range on portable radios?  yeah, you're gonna need more than two bow-fang-ching-chongs and "tactical antennas" for that.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S8HmSLJ/0/L/i-S8HmSLJ-L.jpg

oh ho ho, you want it to work indoors too?  fun fact, it's not that a more expensive portable gets better "raaaaange", or more power will help you any.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Mq7488c/0/L/i-Mq7488c-L.jpg

if you don't see the work that happens on the back end, and your radios "just work", then i've done my job well
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RwvFK9q/0/L/i-RwvFK9q-L.jpg
View Quote

GOSPEL of Truth above.  ^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S8HmSLJ/0/L/i-S8HmSLJ-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Mq7488c/0/L/i-Mq7488c-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RwvFK9q/0/L/i-RwvFK9q-L.jpg
View Quote

Ain't that the truth?

I always love you picture threads.

I've been banging on this 100 mile problem for a few weeks now as mentioned in a couple other threads,
it makes me appreciate the local repeaters a lot more.

My current thinking is there's no one size fits all solution, but 80M weak signal digital will solve the
problem for most with the least cost and simplest gear. Anyone that wants voice either needs to embrace
the repeaters or open their wallets and textbooks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been banging on this 100 mile problem for a few weeks now as mentioned in a couple other threads,
it makes me appreciate the local repeaters a lot more.
Anyone that wants voice either needs to embrace
the repeaters or open their wallets and textbooks.
View Quote

For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is posted, the answer is really simple, just not the answer they think they want.

If they don't think a repeater is going to be there in SHTF, put up their own. With as much disaster-proofing as they're willing to pay for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
it's 2024, why stop at just voice?
Hang some microwave dishes, shoot glorified wifi 30-50 miles at a time, and transport not just voice, but email, photos, videos, telemetry, even command&control data!

humans did the work, birds shouldn't be the only ones enjoying the views from the top of the tower
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]
You want a real world lesson?  Comms sucks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty simple;

A) Radios are cool.

B) people want what they cant have or the government prices them out of owning. See also, fascination with machine guns is only driven by their limited access.

C) People wanting to look at radios for private uses do not have an interest in ham radio, hobby radio and do not want to deal with the personalities contained in that arena. Therefore, there is a lack of community support for this area of radio.  People with knowledge, willing to talk about, apart from ham radio are military people.

D) Radios are cool.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
it's 2024, why stop at just voice?
Hang some microwave dishes, shoot glorified wifi 30-50 miles at a time, and transport not just voice, but email, photos, videos, telemetry, even command&control data!

snip
View Quote

Well, if that's a backyard to backyard solution for 50 miles, I suspect planning and zoning is going to
want a word or two...

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, if that's a backyard to backyard solution for 50 miles, I suspect planning and zoning is going to
want a word or two...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
want a word or two...
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

On January 7, 2021, the Commission again amended the rule so that it applies to hub and relay antennas that are used for the distribution of broadband-only fixed wireless services to multiple customer locations, regardless of whether they are primarily used for this purpose, as long as:  (1) the antenna serves a customer on whose premises it is located, and (2) the service provided over the antenna is broadband-only.  This amendment became effective on March 29, 2021.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You want a real world lesson?  Comms sucks.
View Quote

That's why I tell people if you want a radio for backup, you better have a comms person on your team who's versed in the ways of radio. There's no just picking one up and pressing buttons and suddenly shit works.

The whole reason you can retardedly hammer on your slab of metal and plastic with your finger like an ape trying to crack open a coconut and get another country is because of all of the infrastructure set up to make that cellular network work to the point the layperson can use it without any real training. You want to play radio, that's great, but guess what -- YOU are setting up that infrastructure, chucklefuck, or finding a suitable workaround.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I worked as a contractor for a world wide USAF IT system until 2016.

Their CONOPS plan for the office being destroyed by a tornado or hurricane was to relocated across town to another location across town and use cell phones.

I was in a meeting when that was briefed, so I raised my hand and pointed out that cell phones would be unusable in the event of a disaster.

The Program Manager just glared at me, so I shut up and let them have their fantasy.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I use to have fun jamming radios with my truck mounted machine shop when I was in Germany. The M944A1 had a PTO driven 25KW 208 three phase generator that was not suppressed at all. This before 1995. I would jam every radio within a 100 or 150 foot radius of my machine shop whenever I started up the generator.

I treat terms like military grade and mil spec with sceptasism since I use to have to use and repair a lot of different equipment.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#23]
You would assume that the ground forces communicate without a lot of infrastructure. It seems that much of it has moved to space. SpaceX seems to be working on making civilian access to satellite communications a regular deal. Too bad Elon isn't an amateur radio guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top