Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2022 12:54:50 AM EDT
just looking to see if anyone has used calls to bag a black bear in the fall? just looking for ponters
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Just stand in the woods going…here Bear..here Bear, If that doesn’t work in an hour try a different call. They are predators most predator calls sound like a wounded rabbit. Sometimes it works. Scent  is a big factor.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:40:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#2]
I’ve killed some pretty decent black bears but never had any success in calling them in.  Either spot and stalk or when I was sitting on a game trail.

My last two: Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
I’ve killed some pretty decent black bears but never had any success in calling them in.  Either spot and stalk or when I was sitting on a game trail.

My last two: https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74034/29E21B4C-8B77-44CC-9A2B-244BEF43C3A4_jpe-2604418.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74034/3C289ABA-84B6-4664-9CF5-79282B8C0EB2_jpe-2604419.JPG
View Quote

well the country around here is so thick i dont know how good spot  and stalk would work. and the laws are so tight can not use bait or lures  i think most of the guys that have gotting one got lucky going into to a deer stand or coming back out. right know calling about the only way we are allowed to attacted one. but there has been talk of let up on the laws on runing them with dogs and if that happens it will most like become the most common in the area.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TNC:
I've only called for coyote, and had one success. Bear would probably respond to prey calls like distressed fawn, if they respond to anything. I'm not sure they really hunt by sound.

Scent might work. Hunting from a tree stand so your scent goes upward, and placing a scent bomb or something on the ground seems like a good strategy.
View Quote

well the reason i ask is i seen it done on tv but it was always out west or up north. i would try the scent bomb but our laws are so tight scent and bait both are outright ban. and it makes people crazy there are a tone of people that have pics of big bears coming in and eating the corn or apples that were put out for deer. but the laws say a area has to be 100# clear of bait ot scent for 60 or maybe 90 days before a bear can be shot. there has been talk of maybe soon they well let up on the laws on running them with dogs and if that happens it well most likely become the most common.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TNC:
I've only called for coyote, and had one success. Bear would probably respond to prey calls like distressed fawn, if they respond to anything. I'm not sure they really hunt by sound.

Scent might work. Hunting from a tree stand so your scent goes upward, and placing a scent bomb or something on the ground seems like a good strategy.
View Quote

well the reason i ask is i seen it done on tv but it was always out west or up north. i would try the scent bomb but our laws are so tight scent and bait both are outright ban. and it makes people crazy there are a tone of people that have pics of big bears coming in and eating the corn or apples that were put out for deer. but the laws say a area has to be 100# clear of bait ot scent for 60 or maybe 90 days before a bear can be shot. there has been talk of maybe soon they well let up on the laws on running them with dogs and if that happens it well most likely become the most common.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MemeWarfare] [#7]
On separate occasions both my brother and I have had black bear come in on a dead run after we made a calf elk mew during elk hunts.
Of course both charges came to a skidding stop and hasty retreat when the bear saw camo-predator-thing instead of an elk calf.

Top Top