Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2023 9:00:01 AM EDT
Is there any electrical reason not to parallel connect different brand and/wattage inverter generators? Assuming they use the same cables?
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
With a question like that, you must have specific equipment you are asking about what you need to make it work.

Just to make sure, are you talking about running(for example) a HF Predator and a Champion invertor together in parallel?

Are they the same wattage? Two 2000 watt units
or
Are each unit different? A 3500w one and a 2000w one

I will admit that I am not the one to answer the question since I have never used a parallel kit on a generator, but I wanted to clarify so that hopefully the question and answer may be more understandable to myself and anyone else that may read this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that they had to be two of the exact same units and also ones made to run like this... Something in the design and circuitry.

I've seen the same with Car Audio Amps, its called Strapable...
Strap 2 5K amps and get 10K...  Lots of Competition guys do this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of people parallel completely different inverter brands and sizes.  You are limited to double the capability of the smallest one, UNLESS you unbalance the load as shown in this video.

Can you Parallel two Generators of different Brands and sizes?????
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Generator Parallel Kit Explained / use any brand Parallel kit with different brand 120v Generator
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Just when GD starts to seem unbearable, stuff like this pops up and is why I continue being a member here.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
You can also make your own parallel wiring harness.
Parallel generator cords

I've run predator 3500 and WEN 3800 parallel with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
With a question like that, you must have specific equipment you are asking about what you need to make it work.

Just to make sure, are you talking about running(for example) a HF Predator and a Champion invertor together in parallel?

or

I will admit that I am not the one to answer the question since I have never used a parallel kit on a generator, but I wanted to clarify so that hopefully the question and answer may be more understandable to myself and anyone else that may read this.
View Quote

I thought I made that clear - different brands, wattages.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Harbor Freight Predator 3500 and an AiPower SUA2000id and have been running them in parallel for several years.  I converted the Predator to tri fuel with a NashFuel kit a few years back.  The AiPower is dual fuel and has only been run on propane since new about 2 years ago.  I just use the front panel connectors with a 5 foot WEN cable kit from Amazon for $12.  I have run other older gas only inverters with the Predator with no issues.

We had a power outage last week for about 4+ hours and as usual, I got my little cart set up in about 5 minutes and got back to my normal life.  There is no trick or "Gotcha's" for running in parallel.  Connect the cables and the other hookups prior to starting the first unit, then they work normally.

I tap the power output off of the Predator 30A panel plug going into a 3-4 lug adapter.  That feeds a 12 foot 10ga. cable to an outdoor box I wired to my home panel.  I have installed an interlock for the house main breaker, and 2 30A breakers for the panel input.

The gennys seem to balance their output to the load and the larger one takes on approx. 2/3 of the load from what the panel meter displays.  I use a Kill-A-Watt meter to test with monthly, and that seems to be the norm.

This is not rocket surgery by any stretch, and if you do a little research you should be able to confirm and duplicate my results.  I have plenty of pics for those who may be interested.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DancingBear:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:

or

Generally, if they are inverters they should run in parallel without a problem.  One issue is the Champion panel has square parallel port connections, most others use a standardized round port & cable shield.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I just checked and the AiPower is now on sale at Amazon for $358.54 with free shipping.  2KW, Dual Fuel with a 30 amp panel plug also.

AiPower 2KW Dual Fuel Inverter, $358.54 on Amazon
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

You can run them. All you gain is double the smallest unit wattage.  The long post above mine shows this is true when he said the small unit constantly takes 2/3 the load.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

You can run them. All you gain is double the smallest unit wattage.  The long post above mine shows this is true when he said the small unit constantly takes 2/3 the load.
View Quote

As I posted earlier, the power delivered between my 3500W & 2000W inverters seems to be approximately the ratio of their continuous ratings (3000W & 1600W).  To summarize, the larger unit = 2/3, smaller one approx. 1/3.
Top Top