Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2024 4:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1]
kv4p HT introduction - turn your phone into a modern ham radio transceiver

https://kv4p.com/
Anyone try this yet?

kv4p HT step-by-step build instructions - turn your phone into a modern ham radio
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 4:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wheel] [#1]
Looks interesting, didn't watch the entire videos.  I wonder how much Tx power it has.  
But it has to really be easy to carry, I mean easier than a cell phone and a dedicated HT.
Otherwise few would bother with it, because you can buy cheap tiny HT's today, and they are full featured dual band etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wheel:
Looks interesting, didn't watch the entire videos.  I wonder how much Tx power it has.  
But it has to really be easy to carry, I mean easier than a cell phone and a dedicated HT.
Otherwise few would bother with it, because you can buy cheap tiny HT's today, and they are full featured dual band etc.
View Quote

It mounts to the rear of your cellphone from what I see.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat for $35 but Android only.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I read the code and it looks easy enough to port to iOS or a desktop system. So long as the maintainer doesn’t have an ideological opposition I might take a crack at it.

I’ve had similar ideas for a tactical radio for quite a while.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Josh says 1 watt.

Turn Any Android Device Into A Ham Radio!
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a neat project.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#7]
Looks like you can buy completed boards with the components added with immersion gold and selective hard gold for about $35 anyone want to get in on an order for them?

Taking a look at the Gerber now. I have ESP32 here, but if it will also take the SMD version that would be great they are about $3 from Digikey and I have the board to program them.

ETA: No it only will take the Dev kits, but they are around 6-12 bucks depending on how and who you order from.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd probably be interested in a group order.  It's a very neat project and he responds to email pretty quick.
Link Posted: Today 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Need a 5w version.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TimeIsMoney:
Need a 5w version.
View Quote

A 1 in 5 out amplifier would be trivial to implement. Just more complexity for a project in its infancy but I’m sure it’s coming. I’d prefer a 50 watt version
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top