Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2022 11:40:02 PM EDT
I am looking for a tripod recommendation for elk and antelope. I know photo gear so i know about some tripods. But dont know where to start for hunting. I would lke a ball head with acra mount. I have a really beefy tripod for photo gear with a really right stuff head. But it is all massive and heavy. I dont want to invest in carbon legs and i am willing to take the slight weight penalty to save cash for the aluminum legs. How heavy duty do i need to use with a 6.5 Grendel AR that weighs in less than 8 pounds. Just trying to get a starting point of how big i need to go to make it work. I figure i can always sell my photo tripod and try to cover the cost. What are you guys using that is working well for you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of those substantial tripods but use it only for a range toy.  For hunting I carry a Primos Triggerstick tripod.  Much lighter weight, incredibly fast setup (in seconds), perfect for uneven ground, slopes, inclines, rapid adjustments.  I bought the carry pouch for it and just hang it on the side of my packframe.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 6:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#2]
BOG
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
I have one of those substantial tripods but use it only for a range toy.  For hunting I carry a Primos Triggerstick tripod.  Much lighter weight, incredibly fast setup (in seconds), perfect for uneven ground, slopes, inclines, rapid adjustments.  I bought the carry pouch for it and just hang it on the side of my packframe.
View Quote

This.
I hunt in the mountains so I cant carry my Bog, or Kopjager around out there.
My go to has been my Primos Jim Shockley shooting tripod. Super lightweight, easy to manipulate...
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 1:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
BOG
View Quote
I also have a BOG holds my Sig 716 w/ thermal and external battery, no problem. which is about 12lb.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
3 straight Aspen saplings bound a few inches from the top with a piece of inner tube.

Just like we used in Africa.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Bog with ballhead and arca “kit”.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad and I have killed 4 elk using bipods/tripods. That isn't much, but here's what I have experienced:

-2010, dad kills an elk at ~350 yards using a Triggerstick *BI*pod.
-2010, I killed an elk at 207 yards using a Harris Bipod
-2020 Dad killed an elk at ~265 yards using a Bog Pod
-2020 I killed an elk (10 second after dad - two cows from same herd) at 387 yards with a Bog Pod.

I love my Harris bipod but you really need a lower model for shooting prone and a taller model (what I used in 2010) for sitting. A good tripod will cover both uses. Don't assume you'll always be able to shoot prone with a bipod - you might be in grass that's too tall.

I hope to have a Bog Pod soon.
Top Top