Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2024 6:23:26 PM EDT
Ok, so I just got back into reloading after not doing any for over 15 years. All new equipment etc.
Got a Hornady Bullet Comparator. using 165gr. Sierra TGK's I came out to 2.954 OAL of the cartridge.
This length would esesntially be the jam length, so I know it should be backed off a little. My question is
how long is too long? The bullet is seated .430 into the case, and the bullet itself is 1.392 long itself.
It is being loaded for a Bergara B14 HMR, and before anyone says anything, yes I know it won't
fit in the magazine, and I am aware some people don't "chase the lands", but I'm having fun
doing the trial and error thing going through the process as tediously as I can. Thanks for any advice
in advance.

Mine on the right factory load with same bullet on left
" />

OAL
" />
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 8:38:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crwdplsr] [#1]
This happens all the time depending on the rifle and caliber.

My Winchester model 70 30-06 I can load way out, albeit it won’t feed from magazine

My sons Savage 110 30-06 I can’t it’s literally only a couple hundredths off the lands at SAMMI COAL

It all depends what you want.

These are both basic off the shelf hunting rifles.

Factory ammo is going to be loaded for use in…..for the lack of better terms……all rifles in said cartridge caliber

Custom loading for a particular gun will very a lot.

Edit:  Also .430 in the case is plenty for .308 bullets.  Not necessarily a “hard” rule.  But usually a caliber width of seating depth is often stated as “what is needed”. But I’ve seen far less, and always exceptions to the “rules”

For example.  I have a .243 that shoots great groups with 70 grain BTs.  It only is seated in neck about .190”
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
appreciate the info. loaded half a load range from the low to middle end, and took it to the range today. No problems, and no explosions, lol
It sucks I cant use the magazine, but I suppose you have to sacrifice some convenience for accuracy from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:44:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]
You will need to.find the length your rifle likes.   None of my bolt guns in 308 prefer the same OAL but .02 off the lands seems to.be the sweet spot
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to give one of those a try and see how it works.
Top Top