Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/23/2024 1:49:02 AM EDT
Ok, so maybe this is a which ammo is better thread, but hear me out, I would like some advice.  I have two 24" 6.5 Creedmoor Rifles, and no time or opportunity to start reloading for this round for several months, maybe longer.  The one I intend to shoot the most is a Savage 110 with a steel barrel.  To "get by" I have purchased a couple hundred rounds of Hornady 140 Match.  I have shot a few of these, and been happy with the accuracy, but nothing to brag about.  I attribute the less than perfect performance to the fact that it had already been a long couple days at the range, and I was hot and exhausted, but I have also read on here many times about different guns preferring different loads.  My intended use is producing as consistently small groups as I can manage out to 600 now, and later to 1200.

What I *SHOULD* do is order a box or two of every different kind of ammo I can find and meticulously go through and spend days at the range testing each one to determine the winner.  I'm not going to do that.  

What I am actually going to do is ask random strangers on the internet their opinions and if I can come up with anything resembling a consensus, I am going to bust out the CC and make it squeal a bit.  Then later, I will use the brass to start loading my own, but right now I havent got the time.  First off I am going to eliminate any ammo loaded with a bullet that has a focus on terminal performance.  These guns will never be pointed at a living thing no matter what, only paper and steel.   My goal is picking the ammo that gives me the best overall match accuracy.

So, this is simple, I am going to post a poll with what I view to be the more likely options, Starting with a baseline of any ammo that is available in case quantity at SGAmmo.  I am willing to order from another retailer if necessary, especially if there is an overwhelming favorite that they don't carry, but I have been very happy with their service so far.  If your favorite factory ammo is not listed, by all means post it up, but I would like to get this purchase made sooner rather than later for...reasons (why I am asking instead of testing).  So, what is your favorite factory target ammo?

...and yes, I know this is less than optimal, but it's what I can do right now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Hornady 140 ELD-M is a solid choice. Excellent factory ammo. I have shot a lot of it in matches and out to a mile and it works.
View Quote

That is a solid endorsement from the one guy that almost singlehandedly forced me to buy this gun...LOL.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, so I just met a local reloader and got to talking to him.  He is very interested in loading up some match grade 6.5 for me.  I am very interested because presumably I can spec whatever load I want for not much more than it would cost me in components.  He gets a customer to do load work up for him and, obviously, more sales.  Right now he has Hornady ELD 140's and Winchester Sta-Ball powder available so I asked him to load me up a ladder that I could test.  Maybe I will be stocking up on this stuff instead...
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The Hornady 140eld and AG 140’s are good options, but don’t look past the AAC 140otm. It has performed exceptionally for me, regardless of price (even though it’s almost half the price of 140eld-m’s).

AAC 6.5 creedmoor 140gr BTHP
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barrysuperhawk] [#6]
Ok, the Local Reloader thing fell apart, so I am back to looking at factory ammo.  

There seem to be some deals out there that are really tempting, but I have never shot any of it so I don't know if either is accurate enough from my guns to stock up on.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-6-5-creedmoor-ammo-140-grain-bthp-match-20rd-box.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-6-5-creedmoor-ammo-140-grain-sierra-matchking-hpbt-20rd-box.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:
Ok, the Local Reloader thing fell apart, so I am back to looking at factory ammo.  

There seem to be some deals out there that are really tempting, but I have never shot any of it so I don't know if either is accurate enough from my guns to stock up on.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-6-5-creedmoor-ammo-140-grain-bthp-match-20rd-box.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-6-5-creedmoor-ammo-140-grain-sierra-matchking-hpbt-20rd-box.html
View Quote

That’s the nature of buying factory ammo.

For what it’s worth, both AAC options have been sub moa for me in my various gas guns. The SMK version was a touch faster than the OTM version, so I only run the SMK version in my +2 gas system AR’s.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:03:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#9]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I wouldn’t buy any ammo with a 140 SMK bullet. It’s the biggest turd of a 140 6.5mm bullet out there as far as BC.

Not sure if the other is the 140 Hornady BTHP but that’s a better bullet.
View Quote

There are better bullets (I love the 142smk), but inside of 500yds, the added BC likely isn’t different enough for most shooters to see or even take advantage of.

As for the OP, the std. dev. and extreme spreads on the AAC ammo velocity has been consistent, so as long as he’s reading the wind properly, either of those options should work.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried the AAC Sabre black tip 6.5C ammo from PSA?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#12]
For my 6.5 Creedmoor the S&B and Winchester were unimpressive. Hornady 140 ELDM were fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Luny421:
Has anyone tried the AAC Sabre black tip 6.5C ammo from PSA?
View Quote

I’ve got some to try out. I don’t recall groups at 100yds, but it did well on steel at 500+ from what I recall.

I’ll try to get some rounds on paper this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
For me it seems to depend on the rifle. My POF Prescott absolutely laser beams Hornady 147. But the Tikka doesnt seem to care for it at all and shoots the Hornady 143 Precision Hunter better. I need to play around with a few other ammo types to see what the Tikak really likes but in my limited experience its worth testing.

That said, anything I've shot in either of the rifles is laughably man sized target at 500. Except maybe S&B which is pretty meh but lets me pull the trigger on the cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top