Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2024 10:51:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer]
What is this?  This is new to me.  

https://lockedloaded.com/product-search-results?search_text=6.5+prc&from_form=true

$1000 for a semi-auto AR platform PRS application rifle in 6.5 PRC...   That's interesting.  

Any experience?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I love the PRC but haven’t heard a thing about these.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I am slobbering all over this thing right now.  But I am NOT going to get one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:53:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jetpig:
View Quote

Yea...  I'm a big 6.5CM fan, but the 6.5 PRC is an interesting round.   Its biggest flaw is that it doesn't fit in .308 chassy guns, so much more limited offerings and no AR10 offerings.   Annnnddd here's a AR10 (or.. er.. AR10.2, shall we call it?) platform for it now.  Interesting.  And what else will fit in this platform?  30-06?  Run a 230 gr Berger at Creedmoor pressure in a 30-06 in a fast-twist barrel and that's not grandaddy's old round anymore.

TBH, I was thinking the most likely candidate for a semi-auto 6.5PRC was actually an SVD Dragunov; who's dimensions and even bolt head are big enough to make it work with some adjustments.  But now I see this.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Yea...  I'm a big 6.5CM fan, but the 6.5 PRC is an interesting round.   Its biggest flaw is that it doesn't fit in .308 chassy guns, so much more limited offerings and no AR10 offerings.   Annnnddd here's a AR10 (or.. er.. AR10.2, shall we call it?) platform for it now.  Interesting.  And what else will fit in this platform?  30-06?  Run a 230 gr Berger at Creedmoor pressure in a 30-06 in a fast-twist barrel and that's not grandaddy's old round anymore.

TBH, I was thinking the most likely candidate for a semi-auto 6.5PRC was actually an SVD Dragunov; who's dimensions and even bolt head are big enough to make it work with some adjustments.  But now I see this.  Interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jetpig:

Looks like they make a 300 Win Mag too.

https://glfallc.com/firearms/long-action-rifles/
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:26:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#6]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
That thing is going to be a pig to haul around.

The 6.5 PRC is alright out of a short action, but really shines out of a medium or long action.

View Quote

Yea, that's my concern.  I already don't like AR10's  to big, bulky, and jumpy  (SFAR is a game-changer baby! and the SFAR much lighter AR15 sized BCG makes for a way less jumpy gun too).   And this thing has the potential to be a stretched AR10...   curious though, would be neat to see someone here relay their own experiences if they have one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
PRC rounds aren’t really a hot commodity for PRS applications…
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
PRC rounds aren’t really a hot commodity for PRS applications…
View Quote

Really?  I don't run the round, but I thought that was its entire purpose of existence.  Is it not really satisfying, afterall?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#11]
No, we all shoot 6 GTs, BR variants, etc.

The PRC is less than ideal in PRS.
View All Quotes

Really?  I don't run the round, but I thought that was its entire purpose of existence.  Is it not really satisfying, afterall?
No, we all shoot 6 GTs, BR variants, etc.

The PRC is less than ideal in PRS.

That being the case, is there really any point to this round?
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 1:01:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#12]
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]
It's a great hunting round without the stout recoil of magnum rounds while shooting high BC bullets at decent velocity.
View All Quotes

It's a great hunting round without the stout recoil of magnum rounds while shooting high BC bullets at decent velocity.

Yup everyone I know that has them uses it for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd be curious if this ends up being more useful than a .277 Fury.

The NEMO was already a pretty niche weapon, as a semi in 300 WM, so I don't really see the applicability of a 6.5 PRC in a semi, where you are going to burn the rifle out in 600 - 800 rounds if you don't REALLY watch the firing cadence and heat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I will just stick with my 6.5-284N bolt and 6.5 Grendel AR.  Fits all my needs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

It’s my favorite all-around hunting round.

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:

It’s my favorite all-around hunting round.

View Quote

This. My son has killed more game with his 6.5 PRC that I have killed with any one gun. Deer, bear, elk, caribou doesn’t matter. It gets the job done.

Loaded with heavies it’s a great long range round as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Great hunting round and target shooting with heavy bullets.
Terrible for something like PRS where you have to be able to stay on the gun/target and spot hits and misses.  
For target shooting, F class guys are necking it up to 7mm and running 180 Bergers in it as it does offer a few benefits over a 284 Shehane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top