Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2024 2:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles]
A buddy of mine got in a tight spot and decided to sell some of his rifles. He said he had a REM 700 in 300 Win Mag. Asked what he wanted figuring he’d say $800-$1000. He said $500. Couldn’t dig my wallet out fast enough, I figure it hard to go wrong at that price. He used it for one hunting season and jumped to some other rifle in 28 Nosler and this has been in his safe since.

I’ll end up throwing away or selling everything except the action. Gonna get it a new barrel, probably M24 profile, get the action worked over a bit, drop it in one of fancy stocks with an internal chassis, toss a Leupold on top and search for a suppressor.

Any suggestions for a gunsmith? I was thinking to just go ahead and buy a barrel and then send the barrel and action to LRI and have them blue print the action and send back a barreled action.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
so $500 for essentially an action? i think you could have done alot better starting with a custom action instead of spending more cash on a factory remington. not trying to be a dick or anything
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
LRI would be my choice.  I've used them before they do great work.  They may be able to get a barrel quicker than you - I think they work pretty closely with KP for barrels.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By glocktalk:
so $500 for essentially an action? i think you could have done alot better starting with a custom action instead of spending more cash on a factory remington. not trying to be a dick or anything
View Quote

No worries. Didn’t think you were being a dick. But at the same time, yeah $500 for just the action but the cheapest custom long action is $1000. Besides, spending $1100-$1200 overtime vs $1000 all at once doesn’t hurt as much

Originally Posted By jbmillard:
LRI would be my choice.  I've used them before they do great work.  They may be able to get a barrel quicker than you - I think they work pretty closely with KP for barrels.
View Quote

I didn’t think about that. Not familiar with KP barrels though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I did not know that Remington made left handed actions
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, red hawk rifles has a sell on Defiance actions..the classic is as little as 719 bucks....Long action, left hand magnum bolt face for 300wm is 840 bucks..ready to rock, and you don't have to send the action to get a barrel, they take profit shouldered or savage type nut barrels...Hard to beat for a top of the line action...

https://redhawkrifles.com/defiance-machine-classic-action/
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#6]
Originally Posted By RockSix:
I did not know that Remington made left handed actions
View Quote

I don’t think they do anymore. But they definitely used to. I had a 700 years ago in 308 that I think I sold to pay for my first Mk12.
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, red hawk rifles has a sell on Defiance actions..the classic is as little as 719 bucks....Long action, left hand magnum bolt face for 300wm is 840 bucks..ready to rock, and you don't have to send the action to get a barrel, they take profit shouldered or savage type nut barrels...Hard to beat for a top of the line action...

https://redhawkrifles.com/defiance-machine-classic-action/
View Quote

I saw that sale. Would’ve bought too but all the lefty combinations are unavailable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Now that I’m having some time to mess with the rifle, I’m debating calibers. If you didn’t have any magnum calibers already, not set up for reloading but planned on potentially jumping into reloading, what caliber would yall go with?

I have no issue with 300wm, but I know there’s the new hotness, 300PRC; or 7 REM Mag. Or instead, run a SA round in a LA a lá lefty M24 (I have a standard Bolt face LA bolt assembly and have another rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor so no extra calibers).

I don’t have any real planned use for the rifle outside of target shooting for now. Could maybe hunt with it in the future.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
Now that I’m having some time to mess with the rifle, I’m debating calibers. If you didn’t have any magnum calibers already, not set up for reloading but planned on potentially jumping into reloading, what caliber would yall go with?

I have no issue with 300wm, but I know there’s the new hotness, 300PRC; or 7 REM Mag. Or instead, run a SA round in a LA a lá lefty M24 (I have a standard Bolt face LA bolt assembly and have another rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor so no extra calibers).

I don’t have any real planned use for the rifle outside of target shooting for now. Could maybe hunt with it in the future.
View Quote

7PRC.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

7PRC.

View Quote

7-6.5prc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top