Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2024 12:54:15 AM EDT
For those with AI AW, whats the resistance like when closing the action with a round? Im comparing my rifle closing the action with and without a round. Without a round, it feels fine and easy to close. When Im trying to chamber a round, theres alot more resistance closing the action. It almost feels like the extractor is struggling with the casehead when closing the action.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one, but you might take an empty case and size it(size it a bit more than you are doing on current cases and see if that fixes the issues....If it does it could be caused by the shoulder not being pushed back enough(..002" max on bolt action), or it could be the diameter of the case either at the shoulder or just above the case head, or it could be as you suggest the extractor not sliding over the rim easy enough...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So few details...

Factory ammo? Reloads? Fired case?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MadcapMagician:
So few details...

Factory ammo? Reloads? Fired case?
View Quote

Ive tried with FGMM 175 gr and 147 gr, fire and non fired. Along with snap caps
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How many rounds on the bolt?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Without a cartridge my bolt is easier to close. With a cartridge there is more resistance, but it is not hard to close.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jeffhsu95:
For those with AI AW, whats the resistance like when closing the action with a round? Im comparing my rifle closing the action with and without a round. Without a round, it feels fine and easy to close. When Im trying to chamber a round, theres alot more resistance closing the action. It almost feels like the extractor is struggling with the casehead when closing the action.
View Quote

Sounds like you got oversized reloads that need there shoulders bumped back.  All my ai's feel the same closing on a loaded or empty chamber.  If this is factory ammo, of known quality, check chamber for debris.  Also clean lug recess and bolt lugs, put grease on all lugs, cocking ramp, and lobes on cocking piece(fp assembly needs removed, which ai was the first bolt gun with a quarter turn disassembly bolt).
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Sent the rifle to MHS, they told me it had a really short free bore, is this normal on AI barrels? Its a factory barrel
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By forensicgun:
Without a cartridge my bolt is easier to close. With a cartridge there is more resistance, but it is not hard to close.
View Quote

This. I feel a little more resistance but not much
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top