Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2024 10:13:08 PM EDT
A friend of mine was asking me a question about cold bore accuracy on his AR-10.

He explained that consistently his first two rounds are low right or right depending on the temperature. He explained that with his rifle the hotter it got the more consistent it grouped.

He asked me what my thoughts are but I am by no means an expert. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas to throw his way or maybe this is normal. He is a SWAT sniper but up until recently only shot a bolt gun for precision.

Below is the rifle in question.

Aero M5E1 308.  18" barrel suppressed. 1:10 twist.

Bullet: federal 168 gold medal match. 2555 FPS at the muzzle.

Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:46:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
In my experience this is normal for CHF and button rifled barrels. They retain internal stresses from the manufacturing process. As a result they change shape (beyond normal thermal expansion) when going from cold to hot.

Single-point cut rifled barrels can avoid this altogether because the blank is normalized to relieve stresses before the rifling is cut, and cutting doesn’t introduce stress like hammer forging or swaging a button does.

Also, Criterion barrels do well. They are button rifled, but normalized afterwards to relieve internal stresses introduced by the rifling process.

I have 2 cut rifled barrels and a Criterion barrel, and they have no shift in POI from cold to hot, but all my other barrels do to some extent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m just an armchair shooter but a gun that tightens up as it warms up suggests tolerances are a little loose. Having a round or two print slightly different ccb vs fouled bore is not uncommon. In my limited experience with high quality barrels ccb vs fouled doesn’t make much different. My GA Precision bolt gun and my custom Bartlien barreled 6Arc AR shoot the ccb rounds right with the fouled rounds.

It comes down to knowing your equipment and what you can reliably document and repeat on target. If the ccb is consistently printing in same place then it no problem to have that shift if you remember to apply it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
In my experience this is normal for CHF and button rifled barrels. They retain internal stresses from the manufacturing process. As a result they change shape (beyond normal thermal expansion) when going from cold to hot.

Single-point cut rifled barrels can avoid this altogether because the blank is normalized to relieve stresses before the rifling is cut, and cutting doesn’t introduce stress like hammer forging or swaging a button does.

Also, Criterion barrels do well. They are button rifled, but normalized afterwards to relieve internal stresses introduced by the rifling process.

I have 2 cut rifled barrels and a Criterion barrel, and they have no shift in POI from cold to hot, but all my other barrels do to some extent.
View Quote

My 20” Bartlein shoots my zero/reference 77 TMK load to the exact same POI when clean and cold as when it’s hot and dirty. I love that barrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:22:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#6]
He needs to research what a cold bore group is. That’s LE sniper 101.

He probably just got lucky with his bolt gun, it’s absolutely possibly to have POI on cold vs Warm note be the same with some systems but it’s the exception not the rule in my experience.

@Bentley66

IM me if you want me to nerd out fully.

ETA didn’t realize how old this post was
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ZA206:

My 20” Bartlein shoots my zero/reference 77 TMK load to the exact same POI when clean and cold as when it’s hot and dirty. I love that barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZA206:
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:

This is my experience as well with my 18in Bartlein
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Normal for a cold bore, clean bore to print out of a warm barrel group.

As a pro, he has to know this, it's not an option.  He also needs to decide whether he will zero and shoot cold bore, clean bore shots, or cold bore, fouled bore shots.

View Quote

<This

Changing bullet brands and even powders will take several rounds for a barrel to settle in, even if already dirty. The different jacket material and powder chemistry will have an effect on groups size and location.

Cold bore zeroes are rarely the same as shots fired through a rifle that has rounds fired down the tube, unless you fire two or three fouling shots after cleaning the rifle. Many people have recorded as much as 100 fps higher velocity from a clean cold bore compared with the following rounds fired.

Every serious competitor or military/police sniper keeps a DOPE card (Data On Previous Engagements) so they have a working history of their rifle's actual performance on target. It's the shooter's responsibility to know how his rifle/ammo combination behaves and to adjust his hold or scope settings to offset the known zero changes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top