Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: Today 12:07:18 AM EDT
Not extreme long range but, farther than 200 yards and in something other than 7.62x51, thinking 6.5CM but open to suggestions.  I need enough oomph to reliably take feral hogs 400 yards without excessive recoil for follow-up shots.  Expect ~1MOA with "normal" commercial ammunition.  Thinking in a 20" barrel and a midweight profile to keep the package weight with a suppressor and heavy thermal reasonable because a 17+ pound rifle sucks, especially with a heavy can and long barrel.

If I "LEGO" an MWS-H heavy upper with a reasonable barrel, will I get what I am looking for?  Or do I need to work with a known builder to get what I need?  With a ~$1300 upper, ~$800 barrel assembly, and a bolt, I am thinking a complete shrink-wrapped upper is a better option initially.

I don't think less than 6.5CM will give me the terminal performance I need.  A 6.8SPC with a bit more oomph for longer range seems to be the sweet spot but, 7/08 might be worth consideration.

I know the 8.6BO is the new darling of Social Media likes but, subs at that distance seem problematic.  Less than 6.5CM seems to be a bit light at the distances I need for a tough boar.  A flatter trajectory never hurts assuming all other factors are similar.

Thoughts and suggestions for my MWS-H complete lower?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: Today 7:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USGILT] [#1]
I’m a big fan of the LMT MWS platform.  Just know that even with the MLOK uppers they can get heavy quick as do most large frame AR-10 platforms. If possible buy a complete LMT upper and lower.

If staying with 308 a 16” CL 7.62 barrel will get you there.  For hunting with a can I’d go with a 13.5” CL 7.62 barrel.

I had a 20” 6.5CM SS barrel and sold it. It was a tac driver  but with a can it was a dedicated bench gun.  Trying to snag a 14.5” 6.5CM barrel from D Wilson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX1kNtalmFw

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/LMT-13-5-at-1100yds/121-734524/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top