Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2024 4:44:31 PM EDT
I'm wondering if there are any members here that might have some knowledge on old 80-90's McMillan rifles.

I came into possession of a police trade-in sniper rifle that is built on a rem 700 action and a McMillan marked 308 barrel. The barrel is a very heavy profile and appears to be hammer forged due to the rifling being polygonal. Stock is McMillan also.

I haven't been able to find any info doing the routine google searches and the new McMillan rifle company doesn't have anyone currently employed with knowledge going back to that era.

So, can anyone out there tell me about this rifle or if my assumptions about the barrel rifling is correct, or who possibly manufactured the barrel for McMillan assuming they didn't have the ability to make hammer forged barrels back then? Or what this rifle might be worth if it actually shoots?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 5:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#1]
I was issued one a long, long time ago -- prior to me it had been issued to one of the guys killed in Somalia.

Scary accurate, when I zeroed it I only had to correct a single quarter-minute click.  Spooky.

Hard to say who built yours -- probably the McMillan company shop, maybe even by Gale himself.  Barrel blank could have been anything (but certainly NOT hammer-forged) -- maybe a Wiseman or Schneider.

Depending on the stock and hardware (and remaining barrel life) it's worth at least $2K.

Close to this, but a 700 action:

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Crashtastic:
I'm wondering if there are any members here that might have some knowledge on old 80-90's McMillan rifles.

I came into possession of a police trade-in sniper rifle that is built on a rem 700 action and a McMillan marked 308 barrel. The barrel is a very heavy profile and appears to be hammer forged due to the rifling being polygonal. Stock is McMillan also.

I haven't been able to find any info doing the routine google searches and the new McMillan rifle company doesn't have anyone currently employed with knowledge going back to that era.

So, can anyone out there tell me about this rifle or if my assumptions about the barrel rifling is correct, or who possibly manufactured the barrel for McMillan assuming they didn't have the ability to make hammer forged barrels back then? Or what this rifle might be worth if it actually shoots?

Thanks,
View Quote

You should provide pics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the info. What would explain the polygonal rifling if not hammer forged? It's definitely not cut rifling.

I will try to get some pics later this evening.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics?
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally got around to re-upping my membership…
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top