Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2022 9:55:58 AM EDT
Who makes a good quality R700 action? (long action .540 boltface)

I really wanted a stainless Remington action for my next build but I have not been able to find them for a while. I thought about a PTG action but I have also not been able to find what I wanted.

I am trying to stay somewhat on a budget for this build .

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Bighorn Origin.
View Quote

Great recommendation, they look pretty nice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]
defiance machine up here in montana... oops, there goes your "budget"
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:05:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4x4extreme] [#4]
Originally Posted By 68MUDSTUD:
defiance machine up here in montana... oops, there goes your "budget"
View Quote

Really not bad priced at all for what you get. Those are very nice.

"If" I remember correctly in early 2020 I paid $500 for a stainless r700 action and had to also purchase a recoil lug and optic rail so I bet after all was said and done I had $650 in it. so the defiance is not that far from my budget.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you go with a Defiance, make sure you find one in stock at one of their dealers.  I called to check on the status of the one i have on order direct from them about 4 weeks ago.  As of then, they were estimating their lead-time at 15 months for new orders.  They're also not selling direct at the moment, so you'd have to order through one of their dealers anyway.  Fortunately I got my order in late last year when their lead-time wasn't quite as long, so mine should be finished in the relatively near future.  If you're looking for the most similar options to a standard R700, specifically one that can use BDL bottom metal, you're looking for a Rebel with the Sheep Port, an AnTi, or a Tenacity.  Either the AnTi or Tenacity will take prefits.

Again, making the assumption that you're using a hinged floorplate, you'll probably want to avoid the actions with smaller ejection ports.  For example, I personally wouldn't choose a Zermatt Origin for a BDL setup, but it would be on my short list for a DBM rifle.  Some other options for a BDL would be the Lone Peak Razor, a Gunwerks GRB, a Kauger VPR, Stiller Predator, and others.  

I'm not a gunsmith, so take the above with a grain of salt.  I'm just presenting options, not advocating any.  One builder I know uses mostly Defiance actions, another one likes The Zermatt and Lone Peak actions.  I chose my Defiance mainly due to the availability of a 3 position safety and the wide open port design.  Depending on your preferences, another action may be a better choice for you.

One thing I found helpful when researching was looking at various stock-maker's websites.  I went into Grayboe and AG Composites' stock builders and looked at their action drop-down menus to help guide my research on action options.  Then I searched the action manufacturers listed to get more details.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Mack Brothers Evo II is a great choice as well. 700 footprint, indexed lug, DBM (AW) or BDL, and cheap. I use one for my PRS rifle and am on the list for the Titanium, when it's available again, for a hunting rig.

I also really enjoy my Impact 737 and GAP Tempest, and the American Rifle Company actions. Built a number of rifles on Nucleii and Archimedes actions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Evo II I do not believe takes shouldered prefit barrels so there is that. At $675 I would rather spend the extra $225 for the Origin and have the ability to get shouldered prefit barrels and also be able to easily change the bolt head to change calibers. But if that doesn't mean anything to the OP then the Evo sent to a smith for a barrel wouldn't be a bad choice.
View Quote

The Evo is consistent enough for shouldered pre-fits, according to Mack, and measured across the 3 that I've had in hand. Granted, there aren't many shops advertising them, but Mack has tenon drawings available last I asked.
While the shouldered barrel is the more elegant solution, barrel nut Remage barrels will also work with the Evo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Top Top