Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2024 11:52:13 PM EDT
I picked up a Ruger Scout Rifle in 450 Bushmaster in an auction.  It’s NIB and I got it for $930 all in.  What optic should I put on it?  Leaning toward a scout scope, I have one on my Ruger 1895 Guide Gun & kinda like it, but not against a red dot or just using the open sites.   It’s a 200 yard gun, so don’t need a lot of magnification.  What do you suggest?

I sure the hell didn’t need it, but I like the look of wood and steel & it wasn’t a bad deal.  Here it is:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If TechSights doesn't have something that can replace the rear, then PA 1x SLx.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 8:42:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#2]
Red dot.

I have an Aimpoint M3 and a Weaver Super Slam 1-5x(I.E.R) for mine(18.7" .308). I much prefer the red dot until distances demand the magnified optic.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thx.  I have a Leupold Freedom Red Dot sitting on the bench, I’ll try it, hopefully the mount isn’t too high to work on this rifle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice rifle, OP.  I have the same gun as well!

Now I have to preface this with I only use FFP scopes, so that's what I'll recommend since it's what I am most familiar with.  On my previous 450 bolt guns which was a limited edition Ruger M77, Bergara B14 HMR, and a Ruger No. 1 I had a Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 optic and loved it.  Smoked deer with that optic on all 3 of those rifles.  I got rid of that scope, but plan on getting another one for my 450 Scout rifle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
A red dot. Just something super light because it’s already a massive rifle for a rather non-rifle cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I ended up using a Leatherwood/Hi-Lux 2-7x32 long eye relief scope (308 reticle) with Warne QD mounts on my Scout .308, I do also use an Aimpoint PRO with the mount spacer removed on the Scout as well.  I've thought about adding an XS Sights Scout rifle mount with ghost ring and setting the rifle up with a conventional eye relief scope but this setup is working well and holds zero when I swap optics or shoot open sights.  This is one of my favorite bolt action rifles.

Check out 'On the Scout' on YouTube, he's done extensive work with different Scout rifle optics options.  https://www.youtube.com/@OnTheScout

Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I'll try the Leupold red dot to see how it works.  Looks like the 450BM is a popular MI rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same rifle OP, and the factory peep sights are very accurate.

I tried a Leupold Scout scope, and it worked as advertised, but the rifle was so accurate I wanted better glass.

It now has a Leupold VX3 1.5-5X scope, and that is about perfect. I had to remove the rear peep, but I keep it and a tool in a canvas pouch attached to the rifle.

Super reliable, fun to shoot, carry, and hunt with. My go to Michigan rifle for deer and bear.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Leupold 4X extended eye relief on mine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Shot it with open sites today, not bad, but still want an optic on it.   I put a Leupold Freedom RD on it, but just didn’t like it so I took it off without trying it.   Decided to pull the Leupold Scout Scope off my 1895G to give it a try, we’ll see how it works.  Now if it does work, I may need something for the 1895G.  

Here they are:

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top