Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2024 2:09:35 PM EDT
I am about to put together a precision 16"upper which barrel would you chose and why. Both steel barrels.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#1]
Maybe I’m a noob, but I have a hard time paying $600-$800 for those barrels when a match grade barrel from Faxon, SOLGW, Odin Works, Criterion, BCM, etc are available for $300-$350.

Most have a one or sub moa guarantee and some come with an adjustable gas block and tube.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
White Oak is $300, have seen Proof on sale for less than retail. Not interested in BA/Aero, Faxon. Have no experience with SOLG or Odin. Criterion is in the same price range as White Oak. Not interested in sub moa guarantees. I want a barrel from a proven supplier of accurate barrels.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 12:33:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x248716x] [#3]
if it's 5.56 or .223, I'd go with White Oak.  That seems to be their specialty.

if it's any other caliber, perhaps Proof?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I have several of each mentioned. WOA, PROOF, SOLGW and an ODIN.
I haven't got many rounds through the Odin yet but the WOA barrels that I have are second to none.  They will run with my Proofs all day.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ll probably do white oak next time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I would choose White Oak because of all the people I know and have talked to that have their barrels. I hear good things about Proof in general but White Oak AR barrels are a known quality.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Either will likely do you well but White Oak would be my choice.  They make a hell of a barrel.  My DMR barrel is fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no direct experience with any proof barrels. I can say White oak is a solid choice based on my 1 wo barrel. May also want to look at the Craddock RTR barrels.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had over a dozen Proof barrels in large and small frame gas guns. In addition to shooting well, the gas ports are tuned nicely and they all run well. The 16" intermediate gas is my favorite all around, and I've had several 18" rifle length barrels that are absolute hammers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sticking to Bartlein barrels for precision ARs, but white oak comes pretty close for less.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
I'm sticking to Bartlein barrels for precision ARs, but white oak comes pretty close for less.
View Quote

White Oak can use Bartlein blanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I would choose White Oak because of all the people I know and have talked to that have their barrels. I hear good things about Proof in general but White Oak AR barrels are a known quality.
View Quote

Here here.

I also believe that WOA barrels are cheaper. Possibly not in the stainless variety.

*I’ve heard*, Lwrc canceled their contract with proof due to land imperfections, and misalignment. WOA is a trusted brand.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Good thread.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My Proof Research barrel on my Aero Precision M5 is awesome. Shot a .50 group at 150 yards with Hornady Match 175 gr. BTHP today. It is a 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Proof makes great barrels.  Even saying that, if I wanted the most accurate gun possible, I would call White Oak and have them headspace a bolt to one of their barrels.  I've seen this produce quarter MOA groups with handloads.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a White Oak barrel I assembled 15 years ago..It is still a great shooting rifle..I have no problem recommending them to anyone who will listen.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#18]
If its 5.56/.223 have you considered Lilja?

They developed the original 16" Recce barrel for NSWC Crane for Navy SEALS.  Its still made.  They make benchrest quality only.  Its 1:8 twist, Wylde chamber and hand lapped.  

Mine is far more accurate than I can shoot.  With my Berger 52gr FB match bullets in Lapua cases, FGMM primers and an optimize load of H4895 it is fully 1/2 MOA capable at 100 and 200 yards.

They are a bit pricey, but simply stunning performance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#19]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By phlegm:
Proof makes great barrels.  Even saying that, if I wanted the most accurate gun possible, I would call White Oak and have them headspace a bolt to one of their barrels.  I've seen this produce quarter MOA groups with handloads.
View Quote

Just got my shipping notification for my 16” white oak SPR barrel today and glad I got the headspaced bolt with it. Got it with SDM flutes to keep some of the weight down. I will post some pictures in this thread when it gets here and I do some ammo testing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CSAKing:

Just got my shipping notification for my 16” white oak SPR barrel today and glad I got the headspaced bolt with it. Got it with SDM flutes to keep some of the weight down. I will post some pictures in this thread when it gets here and I do some ammo testing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CSAKing:
Originally Posted By phlegm:

I’m still trying to figure out WOAs. What I guess I mean is that I have owned identical SKU Proofs and they behaved pretty similarly. I’ve owned..several Larues, and all behaved similarly. In terms of what ammo it likes, expected level of precision from each etc.

With my WOAs though, that’s not been the case. Small sample sizes and all that, but for example I’ve had a 16” SDM 1/7 and a 16” fluted SDM 1/7 and one LOVED 75gr Hornady and the other LOVED 55gr AAC. Like, most rounds would be one ragged hole in a 5-round group. But if you shot the other ammo through the other barrel, it’d shoot about like ball ammo. Fine, nothing special. They had completely different personalities. I know anything impacts harmonics but try as I might I could never alter their harmonics enough to get one to shoot even close to the other. I’ve had one or two more WOAs that were somewhere in between but they were different profiles/lengths etc so while their results were also different I don’t put as much stock in that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

I’m still trying to figure out WOAs. What I guess I mean is that I have owned identical SKU Proofs and they behaved pretty similarly. I’ve owned..several Larues, and all behaved similarly. In terms of what ammo it likes, expected level of precision from each etc.

With my WOAs though, that’s not been the case. Small sample sizes and all that, but for example I’ve had a 16” SDM 1/7 and a 16” fluted SDM 1/7 and one LOVED 75gr Hornady and the other LOVED 55gr AAC. Like, most rounds would be one ragged hole in a 5-round group. But if you shot the other ammo through the other barrel, it’d shoot about like ball ammo. Fine, nothing special. They had completely different personalities. I know anything impacts harmonics but try as I might I could never alter their harmonics enough to get one to shoot even close to the other. I’ve had one or two more WOAs that were somewhere in between but they were different profiles/lengths etc so while their results were also different I don’t put as much stock in that.
View Quote

All barrels are stories unto themselves. I like the analogy about personalities, good way to summarize it.  

I have a pair of 16" WOA barrels, one is an SDM fluted stainless 1/7 and the other is a thinner profile and not fluted.
Top Top