Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2024 3:20:26 PM EDT
I'm just getting into shooting and have some land I can shoot on.  

I'd like to practice for Appleseed.  

Today the wind is 11-13 mph gusting to mid 20's.  

At what speed does it make no sense to practice?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the wind will blow you and your target more than it will affect the bullet impact at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Once you are to the point where you know your rifle is capable, and you have a good foundation of the positions, then you really want wind when shooting.  It is the only way to develop wind reading skills.  I've shot in wind where the pellet drift was greater than 7 mils in competition.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Step 1 is to know how much wind will impact a rimfire bullet. Its significant. So, plug the data into your ballistic calculator and see what the wind is doing. 25 MPH is a hell of a wind for rimfire. With a 50 yard zero you are looking at roughly 10 inches of shift from a 25 MPH wind if you are shooting 100 yards. Is that what you want to deal with when practicing? Worse though, wind is usually not consistent so its not like you can just hold a set "10 inches" and be good to go.

Me? I wouldnt bother with rimfire in 25 MPH. That said, on competition day you dont get to choose the weather. You shoot whatever it is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:  At what speed does it make no sense to practice?
View Quote

12 mph wind on a mid-20's day sounds "uncomfortable".

If it's windy and you are not successful in correcting for that wind, MOVE THE TARGET CLOSER.

There is no shame in shooting at 25 yards, even 25 feet, if that's what conditions dictate.

Add some streamers down range as wind gauges.  Use the wind to learn how to compensate.  Keep the rifle zeroed and aim dead-on.  Watch the streamers and see how far the impact moves as the streamer rises and falls.  WRITE IT DOWN.  Then, when that condition returns, either hold off that much (or crank the sight back and forth) to compensate.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:

At what speed does it make no sense to practice?

Thanks
View Quote

I know practically nothing about Appleseed, but what wind speed would an event be cancelled, if any? I’d use that as the basis for practice.

Not Appleseed, but I shot an NRL 22 match the other week where we had bonus targets at 238yds and the wind was between 12-22mph’s for the course of fire.

It’s always good to practice in conditions you may see in an event.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for your responses.  

First, as I stated, I'm just starting out and would like to become proficient under reasonable circumstances before trying to attempt trying circumstances.  

I don't think Appleseed has a wind limit [they pretty much shoot when scheduled unless it is dangerous [read lightening]].  

From what I gleemed, I think I'll limit practice to under 15 mph until I'm doing well then challenge myself with stronger winds after that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
15 mph will move your shots sideways about 2" at 100 yards.

Get some sort of tell tale for use during practice - string, surveyors tape,...  Use more than one to map out what's going on down range.

When starting out, there are several really good books you should read that cover shooting in the wind.  Some are about long range, center fire shooting but the principals are the same for rimfire shooting.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Actually almost 3 times that amount.

You should definitely practice in the wind. Even stronger wind as it will show you what to expect when getting into a match with that amount of wind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
15 mph will move your shots sideways about 2" at 100 yards.

Actually almost 3 times that amount.

You should definitely practice in the wind. Even stronger wind as it will show you what to expect when getting into a match with that amount of wind.

OP,  I ran the numbers for steady wind speeds coming from either 3:00 or 9:00.

10 mph: 2.2" lateral

15 mph:  3.2" lateral

Wind is almost never steady, nor from these exact directions.  Practice in the wind.  If you have an accurate rifle and sights, you'll catch on soon enough.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#11]
I used catalog ELEY Club and JBM Ballistics.  

I'm not interested in arguing with you yet again or any further, Rob01.  My apologies here.  He was correct, I'd made a mistake.

What the OP might get out of that "discussion" is that the ammo you use will affect the lateral deflection and you will need to learn how that ammo behaves in your rifle and wind.

The point I am trying to make is that the wind will push you around, a lot, at 100 yards.  If it is making practice unreasonable, move the target closer.  Add some tell tales.  Read the tell tales and shoot the shoot.  Check where it landed.  Write down the tell and the point of impact - maybe sketch a small picture.  Do that over and over.  

You will soon learn whether you like to wait for a condition or whether you like to adjust for the current condition (this is my preference).  Knowing both is great because you cannot always afford to wait.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:31:40 AM EDT
[#13]
You got it right, my mistake.  I had the wrong speed.

Nonetheless, OP, never be afraid to move the target closer.  You are there to learn, not to be frustrated by conditions.  

I keep saying that because it is almost never a simple, steady 10 mph wind from 3:00.  The wind comes from other directions, variable speeds, "fishtailing", etc.  Baby steps first, then walking save the running for later.

Now, if you happen to be gifted a calm day, HAVE AT IT!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all, for your help
Top Top