Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2023 8:38:52 PM EDT
What is the quickest way to lube for full-length resizing ~ 1,200 pieces of .308 Win brass?  Seems to me that using the traditional pad roller and a squeeze bottle is a prescription for arthritis.  And even a spray bottle ain't gonna get the lube all over every case.  Does anyone make a dip bath for a plastic container full of once-tumbled, yet unsized rifle brass?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Imperial wax on thumb and pointer, swipe brass as you pick it up
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I about went crazy trying to process large batches of cases using a traditional lube pad.

Using homemade lanolin spray lube I can lube about 250 308 cases at a time in a large 8x12 plastic tray.

Stand them up on end and spray 2 or 3 sprays at an angle to get inside the necks.

Then knock them all down and spray 2 or 3 sprays to get the bodies.

Roll them around with your hand to distribute lube on all the cases.

Just a few swipes back and forth is enough.

Takes about 2 minutes to lube 250 cases.

Blow on them for about a minute to evaporate the alcohol.

If you don't thats when the cases can get stuck.

Imperial sizing wax may be the ultimate lube but its too time consuming for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Swing by Walmart or some place that sells plastic totes... I got the clear plastic ones with snap-loc lids, about the size of a shoe box.  Because they do get a little gunky, I took some painter's tape and made a label for the lid "Case Lube ONLY" so it stays separate from everything else.  In the past, I'd gotten the cheapest aluminum foil lasagna pan and used that... but it can be a bit dusty in my shop (I also do some woodworking on occasion) so rather than get some of that dusty crap embedded in the case lube in the tray, I went with the lidded plastic tote.  Easy enough to clean periodically when it gets to be too much.

I don't bother faffing about with the 'stand them up and spray inside the necks' routine.  Waste of time - in my opinion / experience.  I get a 4 oz bottle of pure lanolin lube off Amazon, and a bottle of 99% alcohol, and a spray bottle.  Mix in whatever ratio floats your boat - I typically go with about 1 part lanolin to 6 parts alcohol.  Throw in a few handfuls of brass, shake the bottle, spritz the brass in the tote a couple times, stick your hand in there and stir them around a bit, spritz again, stir some more, dump the tote in the akro bin of my Dillon 550.  Put the lid back on the tote, and process the cases.  When I run out, I'm usually ready for a short break at the press anyway, so I lube another batch.  

Rinse, lather and repeat, as they say.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Working on a single stage ...  but I put 50 or 100 in a loading tray and spray from all 4 sides at about a 45 degree angle

Laying them out on a cookie sheet and sprayibg at an angle so some gets in case mouth also works but I find the loading tray better for my level of laziness

Buddy who uses a progressive to feed MGs dumps in a ziplock and sprays well while mixing and has no issues

Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:11:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#8]
Using home made Lanolin based lube (LINK), put a bunch of cases (a few hundred) in any container (box, tupperware, ziplock bag, etc) you like and spray them down.  Close the container and mix / shake / agitate...  dump onto a drying tray (cookie sheet?).  Let the solvent (alcohol) evaporate and then test your first batch for appropriate lubricity if you are inexperienced and adjust dose as necessary...  then have at it.

There are multiple YouTube videos demonstrating this method - THIS is just one of them.

Once the cases are sized, tumble them (wet or dry) to remove the lube.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
Working on a single stage ...  but I put 50 or 100 in a loading tray and spray from all 4 sides at about a 45 degree angle

Laying them out on a cookie sheet and sprayibg at an angle so some gets in case mouth also works but I find the loading tray better for my level of laziness

Buddy who uses a progressive to feed MGs dumps in a ziplock and sprays well while mixing and has no issues

View Quote

This is what I do with one shot
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

This is what I do with one shot
View Quote

Guess I should've mentioned that like several other replys that come down to "just spray 'em" I too am using One Shot

Pro Tip - if you go for the cookie sheet method, cover it with foil or parchment paper or something first, otherwise lube will build up and collect dust and stuff and easier to just toss the foil/paper and re-line vs. actually cleaning
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:35:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TresOsos] [#11]
Dillion Precision Case Lube.

i have been using it for over 30 years, all you will ever need in a case lube.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:36:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thump_rrr] [#12]
Instructions for people living in northern states where temperatures go below freezing.

1) Take Hornady One Shot Case Lube and throw it in the trash.
If it was transported in below freezing conditions it separates and will stick a case.
This was told to me years ago by Hornady Customer Service when I called to complain.

Get some Dillon Case Lube which is the same as the Liquid Lanolin recipes people above have suggested.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
I use a large zip-lock bag. Put 50 or so cases in it and spritz

some spray lube in. Close bag and tumble/knead the bag for

a minute or two. Open bag and put in 50 or so more. Spritz/knead.

Empty 100-ish cases on a foil sheet and repeat.
View Quote

This is the answer. Handful of cases in a ziplock. Spray down with the homemade lube in the post above. Work around in bag for 30 seconds. Dump out onto some kind of tray and start depriming.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:49:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#15]
I use the one shot,  load 50 cases in tray,  take outside and spray cases from both sides. Less messy, and no fumes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1shotkyle] [#16]
Homemade liquid lanolin is the easiest and most cost effective way to lube large amounts of brass. I have used Hornady one shot and although it has worked perfectly fine for me it costs a heck of a lot more than homemade liquid lanolin.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By snakeyes711:
I use the one shot,  load 50 cases in tray,  take outside and spray cases from both sides. Less messy, and no fumes.
View Quote

also seems to leave less residue/gunk in my dies compared to my homemade lanolin mix
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#18]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Using home made Lanolin based lube (LINK), put a bunch of cases (a few hundred) in any container (box, tupperware, ziplock bag, etc) you like and spray them down.  Close the container and fix / shake / agitate...  dump onto a drying try (cookie sheet?).  Let the solvent (alcohol) evaporate and then test your first batch for appropriate lubricity if you are inexperienced and adjust dose as necessary...  then have at it.

There are multiple YouTube videos demonstrating this method - THIS is just one of them.

Once the cases are sized, tumble them (wet or dry) to remove the lube.
View Quote

This.

Literally a 5 minute exercise to do 1200 pieces of brass this way.

I use a 2 gallon Ziploc. Spray 3-4 sprays, flip bag around for 5 seconds, open up spritz another 3-4 sprays and another 5 seconds of tumbling then dump and repeat. I put about 200-250 pieces in at a time but 308 I'd probably do 100-150.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TresOsos:

Dillion Precision Case Lube.

i have been using it for over 30 years, all you will ever need in a case lube.
View Quote

+1,

Usually day or two before I size/trim I put the cases in gallon sized ziplock bags, spritz them, zip bag closed and shake, then grab next bag and do the samey same, I usually do five bags at a time when sizing/loading 223 and 308,

I keep and reuse the bags.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Hornady One Shot.

Spray it on and then let it dry.

Once its dry resize away.

If you dont let it dry, you will stick a case for sure.
View Quote

This..follow the instructions and it will work great..
My method, I deprime, then run the brass thru the fart to get them clean, then tray them  and lube, then proceed with sizing...I stand cartridges in resizing trays, from each side of the tray carefully fog one shot over the4 neck and shoulder of each case, spin to next side and repeat until done..It should leave a nice light coating on all of the bras, including inside the neck..allow to sit 10 minutes and size away..Do not put on so thick it runs off or beads up on the brass, or it will dent the shoulder when sized..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Never had that happen and used it for many years in a state that gets cold below freezing temps. Have a lot of it that was transported in freezing temps and has been sitting for years and still use it and it works.
View Quote

Same, hell had 2 brand new cans sit in an unheated (we get as cold at -30 below easily most every winter...)storage unit for 8 years and it still worked perfect..only time I have seen anyone have an issue with one shot, is spraying them then immediately trying to side it...My son did that one, after he has watched me do it different for all of these years.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Same, hell had 2 brand new cans sit in an unheated (we get as cold at -30 below easily most every winter...)storage unit for 8 years and it still worked perfect..only time I have seen anyone have an issue with one shot, is spraying them then immediately trying to side it...My son did that one, after he has watched me do it different for all of these years.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Never had that happen and used it for many years in a state that gets cold below freezing temps. Have a lot of it that was transported in freezing temps and has been sitting for years and still use it and it works.

I bought a can once and I immediately had a stuck case. Yes I waited for it to flash.
I called Hornady and was told that there could be issues with it if it had frozen.
They sent me 2 containers of Unique which I'm still using over 10 years later.
I switched to Dillon Case Lube/ Liquid Lanolin and alcohol for volume case prep work.
Never had an issue since.
For single stage use I use Hornady Unique.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

I bought a can once and I immediately had a stuck case. Yes I waited for it to flash.
I called Hornady and was told that there could be issues with it if it had frozen.
I switched to Dillon Case Lube/ Liquid Lanolin and alcohol for volume case prep work.
View Quote

At least they sent you a couple cans of unique for your trouble... Have any trouble getting the case out of the die? For all my precision stuff I use imperial wax, it's always worked , without any fuss or muss...
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thump_rrr] [#26]

At least they sent you a couple cans of unique for your trouble... Have any trouble getting the case out of the die? For all my precision stuff I use imperial wax, it's always worked , without any fuss or muss...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

No problem removing the case.
Drilled and tapped it 1/4-28 and pulled it.
It was a 5.56 LC case.
Plenty of material to work with.

I can’t find any difference in performance between Imperial and Unique.
I use the Imperial dry Graphite Neck Lube for some precision rounds.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Dump in plastic tub
Spray lanolin based lube.
roll them around a bit
done
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I've just discovered one shot. It's a miracle.

I started spraying them in block. Now I just pile them up on my bench and spray them.

25 years using Lee lube that I did one case at a time
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My shake and bake method I use paper garbage bags.  A few handfuls of brass and then a spritz with Dillon Lube till it is a fog.  And, I will do all the brass like that, then I shake the brass and give another spritz.
I save the garbage bags for reuse.  I have size dies with carbide expander ball for bulk 223/308brass.  All other brass I use imperial die wax applied with my fingers.

Well at least 5 months out of the year I bet Hornady loads the Fedex trailers and LTL trucks in freezing temps.  Plus then transit...

Hornady One Stuck is only good for one thing.  A light misting of handgun brass for throwing it in the Casefeed of the Dillon.  That and using Redding Titanium Carbide sizers...decreases the effort...
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#31]
I use the home-made cheap bastard lube.

Take two or three plastic grocery shopping bags, put one in the other (double- or triple-layering).  Put in a few handfuls of brass up to half a bag full.  Spritz a few times, then grab the handles and coat the brass by see-sawing a while to coat all cases evenly.  Spritz again and repeat until slippery enough to size.

Once you're done open the bag to let the alcohol carrier evaporate.  Just throw away the bags once you're finished.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I use amazon boxes, dump a layer of brass.

Spray one shot

Shake

Dump in another amazon box.

Repeat

Recycle amazon boxes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#34]
On a progressive I use an rcbs lube die. No fuss no muss.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#35]
The local LGS is direct with Hornady.  And, he gets stuff on pallets or Fedex from Grand Island.  Never has any one complained about HOS.  And MN and NE are cold.  So I really suspect that BS about the cold is a bunch fecal matter.  Because as soon as stuff leaves Grand Island in the winter it sure as all get out is NOT IN A HEATED DRY VAN from FedEx LTL semi vans or other FedEx to Minneapolis or other destinations....some of the biggest Hornady Wholesalers are in colder climates.....Brownells / Crow in Iowa.  Bill Hicks in Plymouth MN Big Rock in Sauk Rapids and out in MT.  The what about the transit to the buyer if bought from a big box online vendor such as Brownells, Natchez, etc.  What a bunch of fecal matter!

I am not a fan of Hornady One Stuck.  Mainly because people FAIL MISERABLY at letting it dry before sizing the cases.

Bulk 223 is done with Dillon Spray lube.  I used paper grocery bags to shake and bake.  I throw a few handfuls of brass in the bags fog it with Dillon Spray Lube and shake and let it rest.
by the time I am done with a few bags....I am ready to go.  

I have never stuck a case with Imperial Die Wax applied with fingers and and occasional pass in the case neck with used bore brush with some imperial die wax.

Precision brass is done with Redding Type S dies without the expander button using the bushing to set the neck tension.  Works for me in 223 6.5 Creed 308
Bulk 223 brass Redding FL Sizer with a carbide expander button.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Equestrian:
View Quote

FPNI!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Equestrian:
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I lay 50-100 on paper towels, then spray them with Dillon case lube.  The alcohol breaks the surface tension and spreads the lube all over.  Wait for the alcohol to evaporate, then process your brass.  Keep the paper towels laid out for next batch.  It already has spray lube from the previous runs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#40]
On a progressive I use an rcbs lube die.  Zero added time or effort
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#41]
If you are dead set on imperial wax I have put brass in a ziplock with wax covered sponges and put the bag in my fart tumble for 20 minutes.  That works. But you still have finger waxy brass.  The rcbs lube die is the way.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#42]
Dillon(or copy) spray lube out of a fine mist atomizing sprayer.  I have seen me do it.  I then use ammonia free window cleaner, mist it on, and then rub down large batches between two towels.  One Shot is trash.

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I put a little dab of lee case lube in a plastic tub put a few handfull of cases in and put a lid on and shake.  Suprised how well it works.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Oneshot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top